Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Flee
    • By Flee 10th Nov 17, 6:33 PM
    • 748Posts
    • 3,270Thanks
    Flee
    Request for debt for a 16 year old
    • 10th Nov 17, 6:33 PM
    Request for debt for a 16 year old 10th Nov 17 at 6:33 PM
    Hello. My son has just received a debt letter dated November 8th 2017, which I am very concerned about. I left a voicemail message asking the company for an explanation. He has no way of running up this debt. No previous letters have been received.

The letter reads:
    Outstanding balance of £112 due to Evans & Dad Limited relating to services: 06/11/17.
    We have been instructed by Evans & Dad Limited to recover the above outstanding debt. All further correspondence concerning this account should be sent to this office.
    You should send immediate payment for the full amount by return. Payment instructions are on the reverse of this letter. If payment is received we will have no option but to advise our client of their option to issue legal proceedings against you. A claim would include costs and interest in addition to the amount you already owe.
    You should also be aware that an adverse court judgment could seriously affect your credit rating, making it extremely difficult for you to obtain credit from anyone in the future. It is therefore in your own interest to act now and settle this account.
    If there is a valid reason for non payment of this account DO NOT IGNORE THIS LETTER. Disputed should be notified to me in writing supported by clear evidence.
    Finally if are in genuine financial distress and unable to settle in full you must contact this office to discuss.
    Company details: P & J Debt Collection Services.
    Tesco cc £100/£3799
    Halifax cc £100/£2732
    Tesco Loan £552/£13250
    Car Loan 1 £187/£8616
    Car Loan 2 £243/£4333
    Total Debt = £32728
Page 1
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 10th Nov 17, 6:39 PM
    • 1,617 Posts
    • 3,322 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 10th Nov 17, 6:39 PM
    • 10th Nov 17, 6:39 PM
    It could be a fishing exercise, they're writing to everyone with similar details until they catch the right one.

I can't work out what Evans & Dad do. The only result I can find is their Companies House registration which lists them as other sports activities.

Their address brings up more details, Mr Evans and his dad are bankrupts! I'd be contacting the Insolvency Service to report they're still operating their business.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/company/10525217/people
    Last edited by IAmWales; 10-11-2017 at 6:42 PM.
    • Flee
    • By Flee 10th Nov 17, 6:44 PM
    • 748 Posts
    • 3,270 Thanks
    Flee
    • 10th Nov 17, 6:44 PM
    • 10th Nov 17, 6:44 PM
    My son is 16 years old so I do not know where his details have been found. He also has a different surname to adults in the home.
    Tesco cc £100/£3799
    Halifax cc £100/£2732
    Tesco Loan £552/£13250
    Car Loan 1 £187/£8616
    Car Loan 2 £243/£4333
    Total Debt = £32728
    • Flee
    • By Flee 10th Nov 17, 6:50 PM
    • 748 Posts
    • 3,270 Thanks
    Flee
    • 10th Nov 17, 6:50 PM
    • 10th Nov 17, 6:50 PM
    Thank you IAmWales
    Tesco cc £100/£3799
    Halifax cc £100/£2732
    Tesco Loan £552/£13250
    Car Loan 1 £187/£8616
    Car Loan 2 £243/£4333
    Total Debt = £32728
    • cjmillsnun
    • By cjmillsnun 10th Nov 17, 8:03 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    cjmillsnun
    • 10th Nov 17, 8:03 PM
    • 10th Nov 17, 8:03 PM
    It could be a fishing exercise, they're writing to everyone with similar details until they catch the right one.

I can't work out what Evans & Dad do. The only result I can find is their Companies House registration which lists them as other sports activities.

Their address brings up more details, Mr Evans and his dad are bankrupts! I'd be contacting the Insolvency Service to report they're still operating their business.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/company/10525217/people
    Originally posted by IAmWales
    Umm a notice in the Gazette doesnít automatically mean bankruptcy. The gazette link you showed showed the company as active.
    • Flee
    • By Flee 10th Nov 17, 8:08 PM
    • 748 Posts
    • 3,270 Thanks
    Flee
    • 10th Nov 17, 8:08 PM
    • 10th Nov 17, 8:08 PM
    After searching on the internet it turns out to be a football league that my son joined. They have his details and because he stopped going they have charged him. Not sure how they can do it without my signature because of his age.
    Tesco cc £100/£3799
    Halifax cc £100/£2732
    Tesco Loan £552/£13250
    Car Loan 1 £187/£8616
    Car Loan 2 £243/£4333
    Total Debt = £32728
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 10th Nov 17, 8:12 PM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    nic_c
    • 10th Nov 17, 8:12 PM
    My son is 16 years old so I do not know where his details have been found. He also has a different surname to adults in the home.
    Originally posted by Flee
    A fishing exercise as in the person they are after has a similar name but could be unrelated. For instance a John Smith moves away so they send letters to all John Smith, J.Smith, Fred J Smith, etc in surrounding areas.
    • cjmillsnun
    • By cjmillsnun 10th Nov 17, 8:12 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    cjmillsnun
    They can’t. He’s a minor and therefore cannot have debt.
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 10th Nov 17, 11:06 PM
    • 1,317 Posts
    • 667 Thanks
    boo_star
    • 10th Nov 17, 11:06 PM
    • 10th Nov 17, 11:06 PM
    After searching on the internet it turns out to be a football league that my son joined. They have his details and because he stopped going they have charged him. Not sure how they can do it without my signature because of his age.
    He may have lied about his age.
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 11th Nov 17, 5:07 AM
    • 15,267 Posts
    • 21,779 Thanks
    antrobus
    Umm a notice in the Gazette doesnít automatically mean bankruptcy. The gazette link you showed showed the company as active.
    Originally posted by cjmillsnun
    I'm afraid the poster concerned does not understand either how CH works or the Gazette works.

EVANS & DAD LIMITED was incorporated on 14 December 2016, the notice in the Gazette simply confirms that the two Evanses were appointed as directors of said company.

I'd be contacting IamWales and demanding damages for defamation.
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 11th Nov 17, 5:13 AM
    • 15,267 Posts
    • 21,779 Thanks
    antrobus
    They canít. Heís a minor and therefore cannot have debt.
    Yes he can actually. It depends on whether the contract is enforceable.

https://www.inbrief.co.uk/contract-law/capacity-in-contract-law/

You'd have to ask a lawyer.

He may have lied about his age.
    Originally posted by boo_star
    Possibly.

But certainly not told his mother what he was doing.
    • tastyhog
    • By tastyhog 11th Nov 17, 11:16 AM
    • 145 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    tastyhog
    They canít. Heís a minor and therefore cannot have debt.
    Of course they can, what they can't have however is a debt that can be enforced via the courts
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 11th Nov 17, 12:53 PM
    • 12,404 Posts
    • 11,817 Thanks
    sourcrates
    If you’re below the age of 18 you wouldn’t be able to borrow money or sign legally binding agreements anyway, you cannot sign credit agreements under the age of 18, without a parent or guardian acting as a guarantor.

Does not matter if he lied, or not, he cannot be taken to court for this debt.

Once you have enlightened the DCA/company concerned, in writing, to this fact, the whole matter will be dropped like a hot stone.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • ALIBOBSY
    • By ALIBOBSY 11th Nov 17, 1:36 PM
    • 4,417 Posts
    • 16,439 Thanks
    ALIBOBSY
    Don't ring the debt collectors as they will lie and say any old rubbish over the phone to get a payment.

Write via email or letter as previous poster said, state his age and the fact that any alleged debt is unenforcable because of his age. Do not admit any debt exists and simply speak of the alleged debt etc.

It's a bit like statute barred debt, they can and are entitled to ask for payment, you can refuse to pay because of legal grounds and that's it.

They should drop it straight away.

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

Make up to £10 a day-October £834.23/£310-

Make up to £10 a day-November £192.40/£750
    • camelot1971
    • By camelot1971 11th Nov 17, 3:24 PM
    • 481 Posts
    • 752 Thanks
    camelot1971
    What a great lesson to teach financial responsibility......
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,135Posts Today

6,664Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin