Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • textbook
    • By textbook 11th Nov 17, 7:32 AM
    • 95Posts
    • 10Thanks
    textbook
    Buying own domain questions(used google)?
    • 11th Nov 17, 7:32 AM
    Buying own domain questions(used google)? 11th Nov 17 at 7:32 AM
    Wanted my own domain so my email looks more professional. Paid £10 off google/g mail for the domain. Ticked just one year then wanted to put my name @ the domain, but couldn't do it for free. Do you have to pay the £4 a month for it? Did it 6 yrs ago for free. Just paid £10 for the domain.

How can I check if they've taken any more money than £10 from my account? Didn't use the debit card I usually check.
Page 1
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 11th Nov 17, 11:44 PM
    • 7,720 Posts
    • 5,508 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 11th Nov 17, 11:44 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 11:44 PM
    At a guess, you're trying to get a domain name, and are also being offered email hosting for an additional fee.

If you have access to an SMTP server (my ISPs have always offered one), and you just want a single email address, then all you need to pay for is the domain name. You can set up forwarding to a free email host (like GMX, or any of the other web mail providers that allow IMAP access), and then use an email client (like Thunderbird) to collect/send messages.

If you want an SMTP server where you can send from your domain whilst not connected to your own ISP, or you want multiple email accounts, etc., it might be worth considering paying for email hosting.
    • CKhalvashi
    • By CKhalvashi 13th Nov 17, 6:37 AM
    • 8,762 Posts
    • 24,748 Thanks
    CKhalvashi
    • 13th Nov 17, 6:37 AM
    • 13th Nov 17, 6:37 AM
    On top of what esuhl says, you can get web hosting and 10 email inboxes for the amazing price of £15 a year.

https://www.tsohost.com/web-hosting/wordpress-hosting

I use the £15 package for myself and a larger package for clients. TSO are a good supplier and very easy company to deal with at a great price.
    "I kada sanjamo san, nek bude hiljadu raznih boja" (L. Stamenkovic)

Call me Remainer or Romaniac, but not Remoaner. It's insulting and I have the right to have my voice heard too.

I can spell, my iPad can't.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,804Posts Today

6,675Users online

Martin's Twitter