Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Wannabedebtfree01
    • By Wannabedebtfree01 5th Nov 17, 1:56 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Wannabedebtfree01
    Student loans for school age
    • 5th Nov 17, 1:56 AM
    Student loans for school age 5th Nov 17 at 1:56 AM
    Can I get a student loan for my daughter who is still at school? I can only afford one uniform for her, which is having to last all week before I can wash it, and I've only just found out she's been having to do PE in her pants since September as I cannot afford any PE kit either. So some sort of help so she can have a change of uniform and some PE kit would be nice
Page 1
    • _shel
    • By _shel 5th Nov 17, 7:07 AM
    • 1,077 Posts
    • 1,834 Thanks
    _shel
    • 5th Nov 17, 7:07 AM
    • 5th Nov 17, 7:07 AM
    Can I get a student loan for my daughter who is still at school? I can only afford one uniform for her, which is having to last all week before I can wash it, and I've only just found out she's been having to do PE in her pants since September as I cannot afford any PE kit either. So some sort of help so she can have a change of uniform and some PE kit would be nice
    Originally posted by Wannabedebtfree01
    No student loans are for advanced education ie university level.

You need to check if your local council offer bursaries or uniform grants.
    Try buying bits in Asda or tesco it’s far cheaper for uniforms than a uniform shop.
    Thanks to everyone who posts competitions
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 5th Nov 17, 8:08 AM
    • 2,458 Posts
    • 3,556 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 5th Nov 17, 8:08 AM
    • 5th Nov 17, 8:08 AM
    You may be able to get a school uniform grant if you meet the criteria.

https://www.gov.uk/help-school-clothing-costs

The school should be supporting you with the PE kit if your DD has been bullied into giving it to another child. What have they said.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=73136084&postcount=16
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

A person who never made a mistake, never tried anything new.
    • bellaboo86
    • By bellaboo86 5th Nov 17, 9:19 AM
    • 265 Posts
    • 371 Thanks
    bellaboo86
    • 5th Nov 17, 9:19 AM
    • 5th Nov 17, 9:19 AM
    If she is doing PE in her pants, she is surely of a primary school age. Go and speak to the school. My last school gave PE kits to those in need.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 5th Nov 17, 9:49 AM
    • 36,042 Posts
    • 152,232 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 5th Nov 17, 9:49 AM
    • 5th Nov 17, 9:49 AM
    If she is doing PE in her pants, she is surely of a primary school age. Go and speak to the school. My last school gave PE kits to those in need.
    Originally posted by bellaboo86
    Lesson time table changing, as mentioned here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=73132179&postcount=27

suggests a secondary school pupil. If this is true then PE in pants and not changing uniform all week sounds unhealthy.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 5th Nov 17, 2:10 PM
    • 538 Posts
    • 882 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 5th Nov 17, 2:10 PM
    • 5th Nov 17, 2:10 PM
    Originally posted by Wannabedebtfree01
    According to your other posts you knew about the PE kit issue in September, when a teacher made a home visit about it.

Do you not get child tax credits and child benefit?

Until you get some new clothes, if you wash the current ones when she gets home then they'll be dry by morning. If you don't have a washing machine you could hand wash them.
    • _shel
    • By _shel 5th Nov 17, 3:29 PM
    • 1,077 Posts
    • 1,834 Thanks
    _shel
    • 5th Nov 17, 3:29 PM
    • 5th Nov 17, 3:29 PM
    True, I’ve been washing my sons trousers through each night as we only have one pair at the minute. He’s 7 so covered in paint, mud, bogeys and who knows what else but they’re washed dried and ready to wear the next day.

The shop better hurry up and get new stock in soon!
    Last edited by _shel; 05-11-2017 at 3:53 PM.
    Thanks to everyone who posts competitions
    • Wannabedebtfree01
    • By Wannabedebtfree01 10th Nov 17, 11:25 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Wannabedebtfree01
    • 10th Nov 17, 11:25 PM
    • 10th Nov 17, 11:25 PM
    Originally posted by bellaboo86
    No, she's at secondary school
    • Wannabedebtfree01
    • By Wannabedebtfree01 10th Nov 17, 11:26 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Wannabedebtfree01
    • 10th Nov 17, 11:26 PM
    • 10th Nov 17, 11:26 PM
    According to your other posts you knew about the PE kit issue in September, when a teacher made a home visit about it.

Do you not get child tax credits and child benefit?

Until you get some new clothes, if you wash the current ones when she gets home then they'll be dry by morning. If you don't have a washing machine you could hand wash them.
    Originally posted by BorisThomson
    But she didn't have any PE kit at all. I've managed to get her some now, though
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 13th Nov 17, 8:03 AM
    • 149 Posts
    • 370 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    If you're on a low income you'll receive a substantial weekly amount in child related benefits which you get to enable you to feed, clothe and educate your child. Perhaps you need to reassess your financial priorities if you're not using the money for this purpose.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 15th Nov 17, 3:22 PM
    • 1,677 Posts
    • 1,507 Thanks
    poppy12345
    If you're on a low income you'll receive a substantial weekly amount in child related benefits which you get to enable you to feed, clothe and educate your child. Perhaps you need to reassess your financial priorities if you're not using the money for this purpose.
    Originally posted by Tabbytabitha
    I wouldn't call it that to be fair. This money has to go a long way and feeding a child of secondary achool age isn't exactly cheap.

Having said that going back to the question from OP, i used to washed my daughters uniform 3 times a week because she only had 1 of each item too. Maybe you should think of doing this.
    • mrschaucer
    • By mrschaucer 15th Nov 17, 7:22 PM
    • 461 Posts
    • 493 Thanks
    mrschaucer
    Or - and here's a revolutionary thought - if the daughter is of secondary school age then perhaps she could HELP her parent to wash her own schoolwear ...
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 19th Nov 17, 2:35 AM
    • 4,846 Posts
    • 6,800 Thanks
    deannatrois
    I had my son go to Secondary school this year AND my older son go to University. As on benefits, but normally very good with money, I did find I was just stretched too far because of all the stuff I had to pay for for my older son. I even had to buy a mattress because the accommodation gave him a rug misdescribed as a mattress (really not exaggerating).

Normally I'd have uniform for every day.., but this time managed by buying some second hand bits (PE in particular) from the school and looked on ebay as well. I've gradually increased what we started with and now have all the uniform needed. It IS a lot of money £38 for a blazer, lots of different PE items (all expensive) but you have to find a way so you do.

But initially I was doing an awful lot of washing.

I would NEVER EVER have let my child go to school doing PE in underwear, not at that age, so inappropriate. No chance in the world, sorry but I just wouldn't have done. Even on benefits you can save for things like this. University costs, even though my other son has a loan, are causing problems but I am still managing to pay for things for my younger child. I've just had to go and bring older son home .., unexpected fare costs, not good but we will still eat. Just sparingly. Xmas is going to be sparcer than ever before this year but I've told the kids its just got to be that way this year. I have managed to buy some bath stuff so far (2 for 3 in Asda lol, they were priced wrongly and I think the customer services woman thought I was mad requesting the extra £3 back but I just had to). Never been like this before. But it has to be.

But I agree with other posters seek help from the school, ask the school if they have 'lost' items they will sell to you. Ask directly, don't expect them to offer.
    Last edited by deannatrois; Yesterday at 2:40 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

774Posts Today

6,415Users online

Martin's Twitter