Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • inacrisis
    • By inacrisis 10th Nov 17, 2:46 PM
    • 76Posts
    • 6Thanks
    inacrisis
    Letter from Capquest
    • 10th Nov 17, 2:46 PM
    Letter from Capquest 10th Nov 17 at 2:46 PM
    Hi

I recently received a letter from someone called Capquest with a demand for £7500, I don't ever remember owing this amount of money. I had a credit card when I was younger and owed about £1200 which I never ended up paying... I have never paid a penny to any company for at least 8 years and probably longer. I got a mortgage a year ago and there was nothing on my credit file about any debt other £6k for a current bank loan for a car. I have checked this to make sure something hasn't gone wrong with this but that is all fine and still being paid monthly....

I have googled this company and they seem legitimate I have also read about statute barred where a debt isn't enforceable after 6 years.

The company rang me today asking about this so I asked who I owed this to and when it was from but they wouldn't talk to me without me confirming security details which I refused to give to a random person calling me about a debt I don't know about.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a letter template I can send to them declaring I don't owe this money/statute barred type stuff?

Thanks
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 10th Nov 17, 3:01 PM
    • 12,427 Posts
    • 11,828 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 10th Nov 17, 3:01 PM
    • 10th Nov 17, 3:01 PM
    Two ways you can deal with this.

(1) Admit to yourself it may be your debt, in which case send them the statute barred letter, available here :

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/sampleletters/Pages/Time-has-run-out-to-recover-the-debt-%28sole-name%29.aspx

This tells them you have not paid or acknowledged this account in writing, for a period of at least 6 years, therefore under section 5, limitations act, 1980, time has run out to collect on this debt.

or

(2) If its genuinely not your debt, then send the "provit" letter :

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2607247

This asks them to back up there claim by providing evidence of liability without admitting anything.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 10-11-2017 at 3:04 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 10th Nov 17, 3:12 PM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 1,167 Thanks
    StopIt
    • 10th Nov 17, 3:12 PM
    • 10th Nov 17, 3:12 PM
    To add to the above post.

If the answer to option 2 turns out to be the statement in option 1, send the letter in option 1 after that.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt Free Wannabe, Credit Cards and Loans boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
    • oopher
    • By oopher 10th Nov 17, 6:56 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    oopher
    • 10th Nov 17, 6:56 PM
    • 10th Nov 17, 6:56 PM
    Could be an old student loan
    • inacrisis
    • By inacrisis 10th Nov 17, 8:01 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    inacrisis
    • 10th Nov 17, 8:01 PM
    • 10th Nov 17, 8:01 PM
    Thanks guys,

I really have no idea of ever having a debt of that amount other than a car loan which was paid off in full.

I will send letter 2 to find out exactly what it is. I’ve always looked at my credit report for the last 4/5 years and never seen anything. Also never had letters weirdly until we moved to this new house!!

Thanks
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 10th Nov 17, 8:09 PM
    • 3,298 Posts
    • 5,584 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    • 10th Nov 17, 8:09 PM
    • 10th Nov 17, 8:09 PM
    Whatever you do (and I would send the ‘prove it’ letter) only ever deal with Capquest by letter, never ever phone them.
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,386Posts Today

6,577Users online

Martin's Twitter