Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • InaPickle
    • By InaPickle 9th Feb 10, 9:52 AM
    • 5,900Posts
    • 32,806Thanks
    InaPickle
    'No More Buying Books Until I've Read the Ones I've Already Bought' Thread
    • 9th Feb 10, 9:52 AM
    'No More Buying Books Until I've Read the Ones I've Already Bought' Thread 9th Feb 10 at 9:52 AM
    If you are anything like me you have bought lots of books you liked the look of while they were on 3-for-2's or other special offers etc., but haven't quite got round to reading them yet, and the chances are that you are adding to your collection at a rate of knots. Putting our MSE-hats on, we know this is not very frugal, and also not very space-savvy as books take up quite a lot of room. As a result (and thanks to the idea of the lovely girls on the 'No buying toiletries in February challenge!' which works in a similar way to this one, only with toiletries), I've decided to make this thread in which I vow not to buy any more books until I have read all the ones I own.

This will take quite some time as I have a big box of lovely, unread books next to my bed, and not a lot of time in which to read them. However, I can also read books which I have borrowed off libraries/other people, or, if I sell a book on a website like greenmetropolis.com, I can buy another one to read instead (prefereably for not more than I was paid for the book I just sold). Overall, the number of unread books I own should not increase from the start to the end of the challenge. (I'll do the maths tomorrow before work as there is not enough time today.)

On the up side, we could include a little book review and say what we thought to our latest read.

I will start: my name is Pickle and I own FAR too many unread books. I am currently 2/3 of the way through 'The Code of the Woosters' by P.G. Wodehouse (library lend), and it is very funny so far.

Who is with me on this one?!

EDIT: list of places to buy/sell/swap books (with help from Niccatw )

Sites to sell your books on...
    http://www.greenmetropolis.com/index2.asp Very high standards...
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/seller/sell-your-stuff.html Always handy...
    http://www.ebay.co.uk
    Sites to swap your books on...
    http://www.readitswapit.co.uk/TheLibrary.aspx
    http://www.bookhopper.com/ You can chose which country suits you best. And it’s easy to browse their library
    http://bookmooch.com/ Great points system but a lot of American members who aren’t always willing to send to the UK
    http://www.paperbackswap.com/index.php
    http://www.titletrader.com/
    Bookcrossing...
    http://www.bookcrossing.com/ You give your book a number and then as it moves from one person to another, you can go online and leave a journal entry for the book, to see where it's gone

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Zorica; 21-06-2016 at 3:30 PM.
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

Page 209
    • blindtoast
    • By blindtoast 16th May 17, 8:49 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 2,208 Thanks
    blindtoast
    Hi Louise, good luck with your no book buying challenge

I finished Walking Ollie last week. An interesting true book about a man who rescues a dog who causes havoc and about their journey together.
    Last edited by blindtoast; 16-05-2017 at 9:04 AM.
    No more buying books Books in 2016 = 20.
    Target for 2017 = 13/20
    No more buying DVDs ? 2017 target 31/52
    2016 target 52/52! 57/63

Sealed pot challenge member #1733
    • InaPickle
    • By InaPickle 28th May 17, 7:31 PM
    • 5,900 Posts
    • 32,806 Thanks
    InaPickle
    Hi Guys!

I read 'She Means Business' by Carrie Green.

It's pretty good.

I'm about 2/3 way through Game of Thrones by George R R Martin.

So far, so good...I only have another 6 to go to get me up-to-speed!

I hope you are all well. I feel as though I am reading all the time (internet) but rarely books nowadays!
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P

• InaPickle
    • By InaPickle 28th May 17, 7:49 PM
    • 5,900 Posts
    • 32,806 Thanks
    InaPickle
    Lovely that people post on this thread from time to time, I'd hate it to just die out.
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    Me too! I think I need to make reading books a priority again.

I've just scanned through the last page of the thread to see my last post (a while ago ) and I've realised that I've half red both of the books but finished neither! I had to return one to the library, but there's no reason why I can't finish the other one fairly quickly. This means I need to finish 'Daring Greatly' and 'Game of Thrones' post-haste.

I'm having a massive blitz on 'clutter' although I don't truly consider it to be 'clutter' and that's why I'm having such issues with getting rid of it. This includes mountains of books which I know I'll never read again and which really need to go. OH is away this week so I've taken advantage of no interruptions (or grumbles) to drag out every book I can find and try to list/sell online or box up to take to charity. Of course, me being me, I keep getting sidetracked and find myself reading the hours away.
    I hear ya, sister!

Finding this book has given me an added impetus to get on with my decluttering as I'm rewarding myself with a 30 minute read for every 3 hours 'work'.
    Ooh, now that's quite a good idea! I may have to adopt a similar work/reward pattern.

I've had no end of computer and internet connection issues this past few months. Instead of freeing up more time to read I found I was forever faffing about trying to get and stay online. I was in a bad mood much of the time (didn't realised how much my life depends on the internet) and I just couldn't get in the right frame of mind to get stuck into a book.
    Honestly, I spend so much time on t'internet it's not even funny! I've had to commute to work instead of drive this past fortnight, which has given my time I wouldn't normally have for reading otherwise heaven only knows where I would have found the time!

I've got Bridget Jones Baby lined up as my next read I think so that should be a quicker one and get me back on target!
    Originally posted by blindtoast
    I think I read this. It's the one where she notices the owl at the beginning and end of the book, right?
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    P

• blindtoast
    • By blindtoast 12th Jun 17, 9:28 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 2,208 Thanks
    blindtoast
    I've been plodding through books recently. Some better than others. At the moment I'm reading Gena/Finn which I'm enjoying. The whole book is messages - e-mail/letter/text/blog/IM etc. Makes it a pretty quick read.
    Target for 2017 = 13/20
    2016 target 52/52! 57/63

• blindtoast
    • By blindtoast 14th Jun 17, 9:13 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 2,208 Thanks
    blindtoast
    I finished Gena/Finn this morning. Unexpected ending but I enjoyed it and love the format its written in
    Target for 2017 = 13/20
    2016 target 52/52! 57/63

• InaPickle
    • By InaPickle 29th Jun 17, 12:27 AM
    • 5,900 Posts
    • 32,806 Thanks
    InaPickle
    I've gone back to a few books I started but never finished so I hope to have a few books to list here shortly.
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    P

• blindtoast
    • By blindtoast 15th Aug 17, 2:03 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 2,208 Thanks
    blindtoast
    Still plodding rather than storming through books. A couple of graphic novels and a Dr Seuss collection have helped to up my read number but I'm still part way through 3 different books - trying to get them finished before I go on to anything else
    Target for 2017 = 13/20
    2016 target 52/52! 57/63

• Viking_mfw
    • By Viking_mfw 15th Aug 17, 7:42 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 266 Thanks
    Viking_mfw
    Oh this is just the thread I need! So many unread books - and hundreds more my husband brought with him when he moved in 18 months ago. At the moment I'm rereading a lot of old !!!! Francis thrillers though - brain too dead to read anything new!
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 16th Aug 17, 9:22 AM
    • 4,139 Posts
    • 23,251 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Lovely to see the post being resuscitated, it would be such a pity to see it fizzle out. Sad to say, I've been very remiss posting for months and hope to remedy that from now on. Famous last words, eh?

My attempts to finish off reading all the books actually in my possession have hit the buffers. I have a sort of valid excuse because the mobile library has changed it's route and schedule and now visits my village twice a month on a Tuesday afternoon instead of once a month on a Saturday morning when I was never here. Not sure if it's good or bad as now I have ready access to lots of lovely free books (including anything from the county's library catalogue that I can order for collection from the van).

It means that the stash of unread books that I already own and which have languished unloved and unread for years (decades even in many cases) will probably remain that way for a good while yet.
    Make £10 A Day Challenge 2017. Jan-Oct: £4500 ish
    Signing off for 2017, already smashed my year's target
    3-6 Months Emergency Fund Challenge #12: £3733.00/£5000.

Original Debt: £56804 (@ LBM 02/13). Balance now: £15841
    . Getting there. Balance so out of date, must update asap!
    • Merlin's Beard
    • By Merlin's Beard 9th Sep 17, 9:04 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 786 Thanks
    Merlin's Beard
    Did not know this thread existed! I'm terrible for buying book that I still haven't read, have got a bit better with 'real' books but kindle daily deals are my downfall. Have been trying to read through my unread books in 2017 anyway - was aiming for one a month, am on my twelfth already, now to see how many I can get through before the end of the year.

Just trying to finish up with less unread books by January than I had last January.
    Grocery Challenge June 17 onward; aim: £100/month; leftovers to date: £8.79
    • lynseydee
    • By lynseydee 9th Nov 17, 9:56 PM
    • 1,638 Posts
    • 7,504 Thanks
    lynseydee
    Been doing really badly with my reading the last few months but hoping that will start to change shortly.

The one thing I'm gutted about is that I used to put my read books I didn't want to keep on readitswapit but the site's gone down. I also had a load of books on my wishlist I wanted to read and now lost that as well. Might be just as well though seeing as I'm struggling to get through the books I already have Luckily most of them are on my kindle
    Did owe £9,951.96

Now helping hubby pay off loan. Finally paid off

Owe Virgin £5,950.00 at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC £5,460.78 2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
    • InaPickle
    • By InaPickle 19th Nov 17, 8:57 PM
    • 5,900 Posts
    • 32,806 Thanks
    InaPickle
    Hi guys,

So, I'm back to being drive to work instead of driving, which has had a happy effect on the number of books I am getting through as, when I'm not surfing the bus wifi (I try to stay away from it, but I get sucked in every so often), I'm reading a book instead. Happy times!

I've realised that I haven't listed the books I have finished lately, so the following is a list of books I have read in entirety (not all of them while commuting, though):

Lotus in the Fire by Jim Bedard (started ages ago, realised I hadn't finished it so sat down and finished it last night): spiritual but good, for those who like that kind of thing.
    Leading
    by Alex Ferguson (bought in a charity shop and read):interesting take on his Man Utd years from a more 'business' perspective of what makes a great leader of an enterprise.
    Game of Thrones: good but long.
    A Clash of Kings (GoT2): ditto.
    A Storm of Swords: Steel and Snow (GoT 3, P1): good but long, Also, only 'half' of one book when in reality they are two books and each of them is still much longer than average.
    A Storm of Swords: Blood and Gold (GoT 3, P2): which should be known as BOOK 4.

I'm just starting A Feast for Crows (GoT 4, allegedly).

All in all, to get as far as 'book 5' in the GoT series you have to read 7 books, which are between 500 -600 pages long for the parts one and two and 600 -700 pages for the others. It's a lot of reading!

Also, I acquired Silverfin by Charlie Higson from a work book charity bookshelf. It's a young James Bond book. It's probably rubbish, but I'll let you know when I've read it.
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    P

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

156Posts Today

1,601Users online

Martin's Twitter