Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 18th Dec 16, 4:46 PM
    • 1,341Posts
    • 1,711Thanks
    Kim_13
    Completely Crazy Clothes Challenge 2017
    • 18th Dec 16, 4:46 PM
    Completely Crazy Clothes Challenge 2017 18th Dec 16 at 4:46 PM
    For those who haven't popped by this year's Crazy Clothes Challenge thread in the past few days, or perhaps are yet to join us; I've agreed to take over the running of the challenge from somerandom, who may not be able to visit MSE as much in the coming year. I'll be taking over from January, but thought that I would start the thread now as a number of other challenge threads for 2017 are already up. That and I may not be too clever on New Year's Day!

With the price of clothes now rising at the highest rate since 2010, there's never been a better time to join us and reign in the spending. How you do this is entirely up to you. Here are some ideas that members have used in the past:

- No clothes spend weeks/months
    - Charity shop spends only
    - Essentials only
    - Spending only money made from selling on eBay etc
    - Spending contingent on weight loss
    - Simple monthly or annual budget
    - A combination of two or more of the above

Your budget can be as little or as much as you want; last year, our budgets ranged from zero to £600. If you don't know where to start, then estimating how much you've spent on clothes in 2016 and aiming to shave 10% (or another percentage of your choosing) off of it may be useful. Anything you can save is a plus.

It's never too late in the year to join; you can work out what you would like to spend in a year and pro rata it for the months/weeks remaining of 2017.

Many of us found that even if we didn't spend as little as we wanted, we were putting more thought into our purchases - hopefully no more looking back and thinking, 'I don't know why I bought that top/pair of trousers/shoes' or whatever it may be.

If you would like to join us, simply post below and I will allocate you a number. If you have a preference, let me know and I will give you that number if it is available. I will try my best to add everyone as quickly as possible, but should I manage to miss anyone (say if you haven't had your number within 3 or 4 days) please pop me a PM and I will get you added.

Happy saving

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 19-10-2017 at 2:48 PM.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £108.83/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £200.95/£120.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
Page 17
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 9th Nov 17, 8:35 PM
    • 1,341 Posts
    • 1,711 Thanks
    Kim_13
    Hi Rachlikeswinter

Sorry I've only just seen your post - haven't been reporting to the thread as much since I've been finally succeeding in not buying anything!

I'd be happy to add you if you'd like to join, otherwise I look forward to seeing you on the next challenge.

I'm below my 2016 budget and have exceeded my 2017 so I think I'll go straight down the middle for 2018.

Hope I don't spend much cash in the upcoming Sainsbury's double up!
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £108.83/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £200.95/£120.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 18th Nov 17, 10:32 AM
    • 1,700 Posts
    • 9,580 Thanks
    Florence J
    £2 on clothes at Sainsbobs. Did the double up to get a £20 voucher and my 4 items of clothes came to £22. They were in the sale, so the full retail price would have been £64! I'm very happy with that

I think my total for the year is £61.86
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553 (£94.58) £1000 Emergency Fund Challenge #253 Wombling free 2017 = £1982.64 Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£3118.08/£3000) Debt to OH paid back £1146.96/1146.96
    November 2017 Credit Card Debt: £4025
    • FrugalWeirdo83
    • By FrugalWeirdo83 18th Nov 17, 4:39 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    FrugalWeirdo83
    Hi could I join please? I want to stop buying clothes for a year as I have too many and it's a bad habit
    Sealed pot challenge 196
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,278Posts Today

7,154Users online

Martin's Twitter