Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • beanie72
    • By beanie72 6th Nov 17, 7:19 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 0Thanks
    beanie72
    Dealing with previous tenant's Debt!!
    • 6th Nov 17, 7:19 PM
    Dealing with previous tenant's Debt!! 6th Nov 17 at 7:19 PM
    I was living abroad for 8 years, came back 11 months ago. Moved into a rental property 4 months ago, and from day one, have been receiving letters addressed to the previous tenants; debt recovery/enforcement notices/one bailiff at the door one time!!
    Have recently been declined for a simple credit application, and have been advised by bank that it is possibly the debt relating to my address.
    Am in process of doing Experian to get my report (5 days wait apparently!).
    I have approached the estate agent who manage the property, asking them also to contact all the debt recovery companies so it is officially stating the old tenant no longer there and debt not relating to me, they are not so forthcoming and am banging head against brick wall.
    Massive concern for potential bad credit on my name because of where I am living, which I need to get cleared. HOW DO I GET MY CREDIT DETAILS UPDATED AND CLEARED????? Am so frustrated and angry that I have been left to deal with this!!!

Sara
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 6th Nov 17, 7:21 PM
    • 14,154 Posts
    • 14,851 Thanks
    zx81
    • 6th Nov 17, 7:21 PM
    • 6th Nov 17, 7:21 PM
    You're panicking. Stop it.

Debt is related to an individual. Not a front door.

Check your credit files for peace of mind, but all you need to do is return the post to send and advise anyone knocking on your door that the person no longer lives there.
    • lewishardwick
    • By lewishardwick 6th Nov 17, 7:22 PM
    • 468 Posts
    • 573 Thanks
    lewishardwick
    • 6th Nov 17, 7:22 PM
    • 6th Nov 17, 7:22 PM
    I would put your decline down to only having 11 months recent credit history.
    • beanie72
    • By beanie72 6th Nov 17, 7:25 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    beanie72
    • 6th Nov 17, 7:25 PM
    • 6th Nov 17, 7:25 PM
    Well that's what I thought, but have been told differing things (also from the bank) that it could possibly be related to the address. Oh I told said person knocking at the door lol....SO many debt companies have sent....truly hope they catch up with them, causing me such a headache grrrrrr
    Waiting Experian report
    • beanie72
    • By beanie72 6th Nov 17, 7:26 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    beanie72
    • 6th Nov 17, 7:26 PM
    • 6th Nov 17, 7:26 PM
    My credit has been checked for renting the property, and also mobile phone contract, with no problems at all flagged up, prior to moving here....
    • Superscrooge
    • By Superscrooge 6th Nov 17, 8:10 PM
    • 911 Posts
    • 629 Thanks
    Superscrooge
    • 6th Nov 17, 8:10 PM
    • 6th Nov 17, 8:10 PM
    Credit providers like to see stability and a history of using credit responsibly.

You only moved back to the UK 11 months ago so will only have a short credit history.

You changed address again four months ago and presumably also aren't yet shown on the electoral role at your new address? This will make you look more risky to lenders.

These are more likely to be the reasons for the failed credit application.
    • beanie72
    • By beanie72 7th Nov 17, 4:42 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    beanie72
    • 7th Nov 17, 4:42 PM
    • 7th Nov 17, 4:42 PM
    Thank you all for your feedback. Looking into all possibilities at the moment and hope to get resolved as quickly as possible.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 7th Nov 17, 5:58 PM
    • 1,596 Posts
    • 1,098 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 7th Nov 17, 5:58 PM
    • 7th Nov 17, 5:58 PM
    There's nothing to resolve, it is a situation that will only improve with time.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 8th Nov 17, 11:08 AM
    • 2,471 Posts
    • 3,568 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 8th Nov 17, 11:08 AM
    • 8th Nov 17, 11:08 AM
    How do you know these letters are from DCAs? Have you opened the mail? Simply return them all as 'no longer at this address'.

You're address may be the problem as it's recent or maybe because being on the ER hasn't filtered through to the CRAs yet (if you've updated it).
    It isn't going to be because someone else used that address previously.

You need to check the 3 main CRAs, not just Experian.

Equifax through Clearscore.
    Call Credit through Noddle.

If you are signing up to a free trial with Experian, cancel it and go via MSE Credit Club for your Experian report.

All these alternatives are free.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

A person who never made a mistake, never tried anything new.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

330Posts Today

4,149Users online

Martin's Twitter