Trouble with Microsoft company

MICROSOFT CUSTOMER SERVICE IS A DISGRACE

I am posting on this forum as a desperate attempt. I would like to make an official complaint but despite my best efforts I cannot find the relevant information.!
I purchased a £900+ Microsoft surface PC (on my debit card), in January 2017, for my studies. And within the first weeks of usage I believed it to be faulty. Because, my battery bar would indicate I had 100% battery but the amount of usage time would state 8hrs whereas 10 minutes later my battery would be at 70% and have 21 hours of battery life according to the screen but would die within 4 hours. It would rapidly fluctuate, literally minute to the minute. And it was an obvious misrepresentation, as I logged the times. I continually had to use battery lifesaver. Then one day, it would not turn on. I took it to CURRYS PC world, where I had purchased the PC and cover but was told it was under warranty with Microsoft for the first year. The product turned on and the technician thought it was due to me not updating the PC. So he did the updates and I returned home. Once I tried switching it on at home the screen was black but the keypad lit up. I charged the PC to no success as it now all remains completely black. Today the 9th of October 2017, I rang 0344 800 2400 and was put through to a polite female advisor but was redirected to another number, as it was the wrong department. Once, I was through to technical support on the number provided 0370 801 4154. At 16:28 (UK time)on a call that lasted 14 minutes and 31 seconds, with Mr Gary Neville.!
I was told that, it was the software and that I would have to pay £76. As I found it difficult to understand his explanations I passed the phone to my mother. He then relieved that thousands of customers had this problem. To which my mother responded that the product was sold faulty. He became hostile, condescending and yelled at her to call the police. That he was not committing fraud or a scam. My mother requested several times to speak with his supervisors, he refused and then hung up. I rang back immediately at 16:43 and was put through to an advisor by the name of Steve Lompes. He contradicted everything the first advisor said. Firstly, by saying the fault was due to hardware and he guaranteed I would not have to pay any charge. That someone would, once I reported the fault to the official website via email, pick up my PC within 2-3 days. Furthermore that the PC would be replaced free of charge. But still we could not speak with a member of senior management. I would like to make an official complaint. I have never from any company received such mannerisms and expected far better from a multibillion dollar company. I will not be recommending Microsoft services or products to anyone as I am heavily disappointed with Microsoft. My family members are also posting this on their social media accounts as the customer service is an utter disgrace.

Comments

• pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    EjB23 wrote: »
    MICROSOFT CUSTOMER SERVICE IS A DISGRACE

This is not exactly new news TBH - in fact it was well known back in 1992 when I bought my first Windows 3.1 machine.
  • EjB23
    EjB23 Posts: 7 Forumite
    I can appreciate that it's not new news to you but I was most certainly shocked. I didn't know a company could be so terrible and make it so difficult to complain. What was your experience with them like ?
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,856
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Take it back to PC World ,the contract is with them not Microsoft, Oh and when did you first take it back to them ?. Where did you get those phone numbers from?
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • SouthUKMan
    SouthUKMan Posts: 383 Forumite
    Your legal rights are with the retailer and not with Microsoft. Under the Consumer Rights Act, if a fault develops within the first 30 days then you can reject the item and receive a full refund from the retailer. If a fault develops between months one and six, then the retailer must repair or replace the item. After six months, then then onus falls on you to prove that the item is faulty. This usually involves a third party report. That's the law. In reality if an item develops a fault between months 6 and 12 then you claim on the manufacturers warranty - it is usually best to do this through the retailer.

To put it another way - and I genuinely mean this to be helpful - if you had understood your legal rights when the Surface PC first developed the fault - then the retailer would have had to have resolved the issue by law. By going to Microsoft first and wasting time with them, you've missed out on the simple protection offered by the law when items go wrong within the first six months. We live and learn. You still have rights under the Consumer Rights Act, but the onus now falls on you to prove an inherent fault, etc.
  • EjB23
    I was thinking that I should but originally they were the ones who told me to contact Mircosoft and gave me the first number. Mircosoft then gave me the second number. I looked on Mircosoft official website for any other contact info as the advisors wouldnt tell me anything. One even told me to use Google maps and find the address myself.
  • debitcardmayhem
    Forumite
    I was thinking that I should but originally they were the ones who told me to contact Mircosoft and gave me the first number. Mircosoft then gave me the second number. I looked on Mircosoft official website for any other contact info as the advisors wouldnt tell me anything. One even told me to use Google maps and find the address myself.
    Irrelevant go back to Currys PC World
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • EjB23
    Sorry if I didn't make it clear. I did go to CURRYS first but they told me to ring Microsoft. Should my next step be to go back to CURRYS?

And can anyone tell me if I complain to trading standards about the customer service I received from Mircosoft?

Thanks in advance
  • EjB23
    Okay will do.
  • debitcardmayhem
    Forumite
    Sorry if I didn't make it clear. I did go to CURRYS first but they told me to ring Microsoft. Should my next step be to go back to CURRYS?

And can anyone tell me if I complain to trading standards about the customer service I received from Mircosoft?

Thanks in advance
    Don't bother your contract is with Currys PC world. and then if no joy contact your card issuer. This post should be in the Consumer Rights part of the forum
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=173
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,772
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    someone would, once I reported the fault to the official website via email, pick up my PC within 2-3 days. Furthermore that the PC would be replaced free of charge.

Have you done this?
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business