PPI from 1990

Hi - I recently submitted a request direct to my bank to enquire whether I had PPI on the first ever credit card I owned. They came back pretty quickly telling me I had PPI against the card with a policy start date of 1990 to policy end date 2002. Next to these dates it states Insurance Premium £21.30.

At the time I was in the Armed Forces so wondered whether this was an example of being miss-sold PPI as I was covered by my employer for illness.

I'm not sure if the £21.30 is a one off payment or a monthly payment and I'm also not sure if someone can claim PPI that far back?

Sadly, as with a lot of people, I have no paper work.

Any advice would be great.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    PPI on credit cards was a proportion of the outstanding balance, not a fixed monthly sum.

If all you paid was £21.30 between 1990 and 2002, you won't have much to refund.

However, it'll have 27 years of interest!
  • jasper123
    jasper123 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Thanks for your reply Moneyineptitude.

I do believe my credit card was well used during that period :-) so I'm not sure what the Insurance Premium relates to.

I guess I could look forward to possibly £50 with all that interest ;-)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    jasper123 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the Insurance Premium relates to.
    Only the bank can answer that..
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,038
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    My credit card is well used each month. Often going onto two pages of transactions. I clear it each month. it is not the volume of transactions that matters. It is what you borrow outside of the interest free period that matters. If you clear the amount owed you pay nothing that month.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • jasper123
    jasper123 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Thanks dunstonh - if only I was that saintly! I was a 20-something with holidays and clothes on my mind :-)...can't even begin to imagine I was ever so organised as to pay off my monthly balance. Clearly, I have changed my ways! Honest! :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure