Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 2nd Oct 17, 7:16 AM
    • 1,223Posts
    • 8,865Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 2nd October?
    • 2nd Oct 17, 7:16 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 2nd October? 2nd Oct 17 at 7:16 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 2 October
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £9433.44
Page 5
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 7th Oct 17, 1:42 PM
    • 1,223 Posts
    • 8,865 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    a whole load of chard to eat today
    Originally posted by determined new ms

I'm sure that you're totally on it, but I like to shred the chard and freeze it. It's great for chucking into soup, omelettes and scrambled eggs and things then.

• MagicBeans
    • By MagicBeans 7th Oct 17, 4:32 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    MagicBeans
    Afternoon all!

Gosh where did today go? Didn't wake up till 10.30 as I fell asleep on the sofa last night then didn't really get to bed "properly" until about 3.30am. Felt like the days was half gone before it started (....almost!!!!).

Have been having a day trying to clear the sky box as planned. Just finished the last 4 episodes of the strain that we've had for about 9 months, before finding out that they're not even planning on airing season 4 in the UK anytime soon. It's already on in the us. Hope someone picks it up spon.

Not sure what's up next. May watch the Movie Creed.

Still not made my spagbol. Still having it but will be a late one as just about to get soup for lunch due to getting up so late.
    I am going to bake the mince in the oven this time. Never done it before but per my research 180° for 60 minutes seems right? Any other tips for oven cooking steak mince aside from this?

Lunch will be the seasonal pumpkin soup from cov garden which was half price. Been waiting all year for it to come out.

Not really leaving the house today so I guess nothing else too mse on the horizon.

Wishing you all a lovely Saturday afternoon and evening.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 7th Oct 17, 6:37 PM
    • 4,547 Posts
    • 34,837 Thanks
    DawnW
    Evening all
    Sorry Magic Beans, I have never oven cooked mince, so can't offer any advice. Have you other things to go in the oven at the same time?
    Not much action here today:
    DD and little GD appeared
    OH and I went to get our flu injections, very quick!
    Stopped at the Coop on the way home and got extra bread and bits for lunch as there would be 5 of us. There is food left for other lunches
    Got voucher codes from Campbells, so did an order, as not much other than HG veg and fruit in freezer now.
    Cleaned bathroom
    Listed some items on ebay
    Posted a couple of ebay items that just needed stamps (free from RM surveys )
    And that is about it, so far
    Might make a cake later!
    Grocery / household spends for October £248.28 / £160
    NSDs for October 6/15
    Grocery / household spends for September £200.15 / £160.00
    SFDs for September 8/18
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 7th Oct 17, 6:39 PM
    • 4,547 Posts
    • 34,837 Thanks
    DawnW
    I'm sure that you're totally on it, but I like to shred the chard and freeze it. It's great for chucking into soup, omelettes and scrambled eggs and things then.
    Originally posted by carrielovesfanta
    Do you shred both the leaves and the stems CLF? I never quite know what to do with the stuff, I grow it mainly because it looks pretty
    Grocery / household spends for October £248.28 / £160
    NSDs for October 6/15
    Grocery / household spends for September £200.15 / £160.00
    SFDs for September 8/18
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 7th Oct 17, 7:01 PM
    • 6,533 Posts
    • 37,517 Thanks
    determined new ms
    I found last year that chard survived well through the winter and I was still picking it at the beginning of summer before it went to seed. Took me right up to when other things were starting to be ready. Hoping the same again this year

managed to rope in oh & we all went to the lottie for a couple of hours as he was there got 3 jobs done that needed more brawn than I possess very happy! I think by this time next week I will be completely no track for autumn and can start thinking about getting garlic and onions, sowing green manure and covering for winter
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £287.33 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2957.2/Roadkill £8.63
    SFDs Oct 9/15 CC saved £2372.50
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 7th Oct 17, 7:15 PM
    • 3,669 Posts
    • 17,969 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hello Savers,
    Not a huge amount of money saving as have been down to help Mum with a few jobs & that's almost a 160 mile round trip. Back home now with snoring cat & mr f listening to raucous podcast.
    *Mum treated us to fish & chips for lunch which were lovely......tho we paid for coffee & toasted teacakes earlier in the day so maybe that one's 'budget neutral' rather than money saving.
    *Usual box of random things gifted from Mum: 1 CD, 1 pack paper napkins, 1 cake tin, 1 jam jar, 3 magazines & a big box of cat food.
    *Popped out to the local Aldi while we were there. Much bigger shop than ours & more choice. This week's groceries came in at under £39 despite buying a couple of extras (Christmas cake ingredients). Well under budget so far this month (our budget runs from 27th to 26th of the month(.
    *Free Guardian with Mum's Waitrose shopping & free Food mag.
    *Eating gorgeous leftovers tonight....mr f cooked roasted butternut macaroni cheese & it is well yum.
    *Continue knitting for sales basket.
    *Chillier tonight but no heating on yet apart from heated towel radiator in the bathroom.
    So nothing very significant but have been keeping the faith.
    Enjoy your weekends, all.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £120
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £289
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 7th Oct 17, 7:18 PM
    • 3,669 Posts
    • 17,969 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Re cooking mince in the oven. I wouldn't cook it that way myself so can't really comment constructively. I'd want to brown the onions & mince first so my preference would just be to complete it on the hob, especially as that's the best way of simmering it to the required thickness. I have recently started doing mince now & again in my slow cooker though so always worth experimenting!
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £120
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £289
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 7th Oct 17, 8:15 PM
    • 2,912 Posts
    • 18,416 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Hi gang

I thought about getting a take away pizza but did a prime shop instead and got a few groceries for less than our last take away cost. Fake away pizza and salad it is.

Dog has really annoyed me today - he really doesn't like the neighbour and his dog for some reason and they came out of their house as we were passing so that was him on a bark fest. I had him on a halti nose lead thing so he couldn't really bark but it's really wound me up and just puts me off taking him out around here. I end up putting him in the car to drive a bit further away from our house - what a b loody palaver.

I've been thinking about stopping my bupa cover - it's taxed as a benefit in kind and I've never used it over the past 4 years.... Kind of thing that you'll need as soon as you cancel it...

How did the spag bol work MagicBeans? I can't really imagine oven cooking mince without browning it in a frying pan first and then if you've already got the pan out then you probably wouldn't need to oven it at all...

I turned the heating off as just me in - a jumper is fine

Up to £6.75 on job spotter FVD

Well, that's my brain dump for the evening!
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 8th Oct 17, 12:16 AM
    • 4,871 Posts
    • 19,112 Thanks
    FatVonD
    I cashed out about a week ago, La E, and still haven't had the email with the Amazon code, apparently it comes from the email address info@tango. You can cash out at any amount so might be worth doing it sooner rather than later.
    Make £10 a day in October £207.56/£310 (September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 8th Oct 17, 12:18 AM
    • 4,871 Posts
    • 19,112 Thanks
    FatVonD
    MagicBeans, I imagine cooking it in the oven will give you just one big lump, won't it? (More like meat loaf?) I know I have enough trouble separating the strands even on the hob to stop there being 'chunks'!
    Make £10 a day in October £207.56/£310 (September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • MagicBeans
    • By MagicBeans 8th Oct 17, 2:51 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    MagicBeans
    Hello all!!

So I did the spag bol and it turned out sooo good.

The reason I had decided to oven cook the mince is because we have a really small kitchen with no ventilation on the oven and a window that doesn't open very far. So every time I boil the spaghetti it gets really steamy and even worse when I fry stuff. Ends up really hot and humid and takes a long time to feel comfortable again. My OH also suffers migraines and this is a trigger.

This is how I ended up doing it after an hour's research.

There were a few way suggested.
    I didn't brown it first.
    I went 200° for 15 minutes and then pulled it out to check on it and separate it. That turned out to be way too hot so I turned the oven down to 180° and after separating it (using a fork ) put it back in, with some adder water as it was very dry (I hadn't used any oils except to grease the dish). A few people had suggested the water, and some not, so I hadn't gone with it at first. After 30 minutes had passed I took it out again and it was all cooked. I gave it an extra 10 minutes so it was just how I like it. So 40 minutes in all.

Got some compliments from OH and he wouldn't pull any punches so I know it must have been good.

Will definately do it again but next time will add other stuff in to cook at the same time too, to be more energy efficient / cost effective. Didn't plan ahead too much this time.

Sounds like you've all had pretty good weekends so far.

Hope Sunday's lovely and relaxing for us all.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 8th Oct 17, 7:51 AM
    • 1,884 Posts
    • 12,640 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning all

Managed to finish the neck on my jumper last night, just need some grey thread to sew the buttons on and also a large eyed needle to finish the ends. I cast on (375) stitches for my new project. Actually just realised when doing this that I only did 325 for some reason. I have only knitted about 20 stitches of the first row as the wool is so fine and I cast on using the thumb method, as per instructions, that it’s very slow progress. Will be better after row 1 when it’s a little looser. So I think I’ll frog it and start again. Have lots of opportunity to knit on Sunday and Monday nights so hoping I can get a couple of rows done to get me on my way. The wool is lovely, so pretty.

Other things:

Meals from stores
    Washing out
    Changed a bed and wash
    Update calendar for things over the next few months
    See if I can sort spare room
    Wrap and post 7 things that sold on fleabay last night
    See if I can find anything else I can to list
    Some sort of exercise, probably just a very brisk walk as my foot is still sore
    Get ready for week, make lunches etc...
    Complain to mr w. The staff who are in there are normally lovely but yesterday a totally numpty served me, he managed to put two sets of groceries together that I’d separated (and asked to be rung through sperately) and he lost my w card in the process - his answer - I Can’t see it! No apology, no it must be here somewhere etc... when I asked (knowing the answer, but thought he may want to redeem himself) how I get a new one, he just said. I’d have to call up and organise would have stayed to make my point but had small children and it was busy. I know it’s not a big thing, but just something else to add to my to do list and given it took 12 weeks and 4 phonecalls for my other one to arrive, I’m not hopeful. Obviously no free coffee in the meantime either
    Last edited by PurpleFairy26; 08-10-2017 at 7:57 AM.
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 8th Oct 17, 8:12 AM
    • 6,533 Posts
    • 37,517 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning purps what a faff at the SM!

been up for ages! Woke up bushy tailed at 5.40! Debating whether to go to the lottie or let oh have a lay in....

things for today:

* going into next town for an afternoon tea party for a friend. As am there will do shopping
    * shopping, petrol and a couple of other chores making most of spend day (and thus preserving more NSDs Am hopeful barring emergencies I could make Mon-Fri NSDs
    * stick to shopping list. Will be sub £30
    * promised to take madam to the skate park today as she's into her scooter at the moment
    * ys chops with mash (meat eaters. 'll have meat(less)balls and loads of hg fresh
    * get school uniform ironed for the week
    * fix madam's pe bag
    * knitting, reading/audio book
    * didn't do games night last night. Hopefully tonight
    * keep on top of the house so I'm not cleaning for hours tomorrow on my day off

Ok think that's all. Happy days x
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £287.33 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2957.2/Roadkill £8.63
    SFDs Oct 9/15 CC saved £2372.50
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 8th Oct 17, 8:23 AM
    • 1,223 Posts
    • 8,865 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Do you shred both the leaves and the stems CLF? I never quite know what to do with the stuff, I grow it mainly because it looks pretty
    Originally posted by DawnW

I usually shred the stems separately and use in place of/mixed with celery in the base of things

HTH

• carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 8th Oct 17, 9:08 AM
    • 1,223 Posts
    • 8,865 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Morning all

Feeling a bit headachey this morning. This cold that OH had hasn't really hit me too hard (sore throat and a bit of a tickly cough) but seems to linger.

Yesterday's round up:
    • Meals from plan - done
    • Log cals in free counter - done
    • Charge phone in work - done
    • Tell time wasting FB buyer that I'm going to sell the item to someone else. 4 NO SHOWS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE
    • Run at lunchtime before the rain really sets in - no way. It's miserable out there!
    • Rare Sat night off for OH so do something fun together (OH wants to have a gaming night) - done
    • No drinkies (over 2 weeks now and still not feeling hard done by) - done
    • Hopefully OH will do some cleaning because the house is a pigsty - done
    • Look up how to fix the gmail push notifications on Android Nougat - done
    • Relist some ebay/FB items - done
    • download new freebie chores app as am not getting notifications from the current one. - done. Seems to work so far. Am putting the chores into it
    Originally posted by carrielovesfanta
    Today:
    • Meals from plan - done
    • Log cals in free app - done
    • Charge phone in work - done
    • Packed a lunch for OH as he's gigging all day at a local marathon! - done
    • Encourage OH to take a thermos of tea - done
    • Run at lunchtime if the weather holds - nah, will work through and leave early
    • Continue tinkering with new app. - done
    • No drinkies
    • Crochet
    • Bit of a tidy. House still seems a mess but I suspect that it's because I'm not pleased with some of my arrangements. Plus OH has been doing the housework for some time now and he's just not very thorough. He doesn't get into corners or clean as thoroughly as me and it's starting to show. Can't wait till I start my Saturdays off so that I can get on top of things!
    • Looked up easy apple wine recipe to deal with apples gifted to me by colleague - done
    • Asked OH to pick up pectolase while in town (saves a special trip!)
    • Reconcile budget sheet - done
    • Remind OH that if there's anything to be washed and dried for the holiday he needs to let me know in the next day or so!
    • read more about the push notification issue - still having problems! - done. I give up. I have swapped my email app over to a different one that appears to be working as expected.
    not very exciting I know!

Have a good one all

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 08-10-2017 at 12:15 PM.

• La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 8th Oct 17, 10:12 AM
    • 2,912 Posts
    • 18,416 Thanks
    La escocesa
    I cashed out about a week ago, La E, and still haven't had the email with the Amazon code, apparently it comes from the email address info@tango. You can cash out at any amount so might be worth doing it sooner rather than later.
    Originally posted by FatVonD
    Cheers FVD - I've just cashed out and it came through within an hour... Might be worth going back to them to see where yours has got to... Came from noreply @ tangocard.com

Oh Purps, I've been there... Definitely worth starting again though as it'll annoy you if you continue and then need to adapt the instructions etc...

Happy Sunday!
    Last edited by La escocesa; 08-10-2017 at 10:16 AM.
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 8th Oct 17, 10:18 AM
    • 4,871 Posts
    • 19,112 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Morning all!

Day off today and I plan to mostly spend it cleaning the house, downstairs isn't too bad, nor the bathroom but, as ever, my bedroom is housing mountains of clean washing and DS's room is housing pretty much every plate and piece of cutlery in the house.

I need to pop to the hardware store for a plug for the bathroom sink, we have one of those pop up ones which keeps getting jammed, I'd rather keep it simple with a regular plug!

A small shop is in order, I need milk though have plenty of meat in but need a few snacks for DS for the fridge.

I would usually see my mum today but I may try to reschedule to tomorrow as it breaks the day up too much and a want to get on with stuff.

Have a good day all
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 8th Oct 17, 10:19 AM
    • 4,871 Posts
    • 19,112 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Cheers FVD - I've just cashed out and it came through within an hour... Might be worth going back to them to see where yours has got to... Came from noreply @ tangocard.com

Oh Purps, I've been there... Definitely worth starting again though as it'll annoy you if you continue and then need to adapt the instructions etc...

Happy Sunday!
    Originally posted by La escocesa
    Thanks, La E, I've checked my wallet and the code goes there also so I'll use that one!
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 8th Oct 17, 10:40 AM
    • 510 Posts
    • 5,075 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Morning all,

Sounds like everyone is doing well.
    HK, sorry to hear about the car though!

We went to the Harry Potter studio tour with the kids & my niece yesterday (we'd bought them all a ticket as part of their birthday pressies) We had a lovely day, although 7hrs in the car yesterday has left me with a very sore back today Mse wise we took drinks and food with us, although we had planned on having one meal out we changed our minds and as we had taken plenty of food with us for both journeys.

Todays list - we have decided to have a day at home as we are all shattered so will add to the list as the day unfolds I think!
    * Ys bread from the freezer for toast
    * Showered and continue use up of lotions and potions, I'm still using up a face wash & a moisturizer that dh had stopped using.
    * Movie afternoon planned to watch a the freebie Spider-Man film that we gave to ds for his birthday
    * Take quiche and bacon out of the freezer for meals today
    * No heating will go on, we have plenty of fleeces and blankets, will also light candles if needed later
    * Wash a load on the quick 30 degree wash as the sun is out so will try and get it dried
    * Quick tidy of the fridge before Mr T delivery comes (won't take long as theres not a lot in it!)

Will add more as I go!

Have a good day all.
    Using a carbonara pasta bake sauce from the use up box, no idea where it came from but there are two jars in there thats lunch sorted with some of the pack of bacon

Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 08-10-2017 at 12:40 PM.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 8th Oct 17, 12:06 PM
    • 2,923 Posts
    • 21,769 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Good Afternoon All

Check Bank & made PAD - Done
    Ironing - Done
    Bed striped & remade -
    Washing and line dry -
    Recycle all boxes and paper -
    Purge a few emails -
    Enter a few comps -
    Surveys -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Checked: Tombola Stars, Luckyphone, Ashleigh, FPL -

Have a great day all.

C x
    It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward. (Old Chinese Proverb)

Make £5 per day in Aug 2017: £358.12/£155 . Make £5 per day in Sept 2017: £406.12/£150
    Make £5 per day in October 2017: £12.65/£155
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

274Posts Today

1,747Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin