Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lluzers
    • By lluzers 7th Oct 17, 7:56 AM
    • 116Posts
    • 13Thanks
    lluzers
    Trading forums suck
    • #1
    • 7th Oct 17, 7:56 AM
    Trading forums suck 7th Oct 17 at 7:56 AM
    95 % of traders lose, a google search will confirm this, they end up on forums as teachers to new traders, 95% club are the losers who hang around trading forums , forums are infested with losers who advise new losers on the forums.These losers have lost money , are unsuccessful , don't know how to trade successfully , are advising new forum traders on how to make money trading. The forums are the blind leading the blind.

    Would you go to a school of failed people teaching others?

    PHYLISS on youtube said it nicely "those who can do , those who can't teach".
    Last edited by lluzers; 07-10-2017 at 8:01 AM.
Page 1
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 7th Oct 17, 9:29 AM
    • 3,473 Posts
    • 4,100 Thanks
    ColdIron
    • #2
    • 7th Oct 17, 9:29 AM
    • #2
    • 7th Oct 17, 9:29 AM
    I'd suggest you stop taking advice from people on the internet, even PHYLISS on YouTube
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 7th Oct 17, 12:08 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    Alexland
    • #3
    • 7th Oct 17, 12:08 PM
    • #3
    • 7th Oct 17, 12:08 PM
    That's a lot of looses Lluzers!

    Thankfully this is not a trading forum and we focus on savings and investments which over the long term are near certain to make healthy above inflation returns. Phew!
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 7th Oct 17, 12:56 PM
    • 5,617 Posts
    • 5,456 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • #4
    • 7th Oct 17, 12:56 PM
    • #4
    • 7th Oct 17, 12:56 PM
    PHYLISS on youtube said it nicely "those who can do , those who can't teach".
    Originally posted by lluzers
    I hope she didn't claim those words as her own, as they're widely attributed to George Bernard Shaw from 115 years ago, not that he used YouTube to disseminate them....
    • lluzers
    • By lluzers 7th Oct 17, 4:19 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    lluzers
    • #5
    • 7th Oct 17, 4:19 PM
    • #5
    • 7th Oct 17, 4:19 PM
    That's a lot of looses Lluzers!

    Thankfully this is not a trading forum and we focus on savings and investments which over the long term are near certain to make healthy above inflation returns. Phew!
    Originally posted by Alexland
    If you understand trading psychology , that figure is most likely to be 99.9 % , since the other 4.9 % probably call their losses as long term investments , because these results are not declared to inland revenue . there is no gains.

    95% figure only applies to 1 broker results , others go and lose again with other brokers.

    99.9 % is most probable figure for traders , as opposed to long term investors who usually gain , if they have a lot of patience and good investment skills.
    • lluzers
    • By lluzers 7th Oct 17, 4:25 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    lluzers
    • #6
    • 7th Oct 17, 4:25 PM
    • #6
    • 7th Oct 17, 4:25 PM
    I hope she didn't claim those words as her own, as they're widely attributed to George Bernard Shaw from 115 years ago, not that he used YouTube to disseminate them....
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    You can apply similar statements to other areas of life

    Those who can do who can't do coach sports , the ratio of successful coaches to successful sports stars is similar.
    • Flobberchops
    • By Flobberchops 7th Oct 17, 5:05 PM
    • 573 Posts
    • 403 Thanks
    Flobberchops
    • #7
    • 7th Oct 17, 5:05 PM
    • #7
    • 7th Oct 17, 5:05 PM
    So I can become a winner 95% of the time by hanging around trading forums and doing the polar opposite of whatever they suggest?
    I work for a UK bank, but any comments made on this forum are solely my personal opinion. Caveat Emptor!
    • lluzers
    • By lluzers 7th Oct 17, 5:49 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    lluzers
    • #8
    • 7th Oct 17, 5:49 PM
    • #8
    • 7th Oct 17, 5:49 PM
    So I can become a winner 95% of the time by hanging around trading forums and doing the polar opposite of whatever they suggest?
    Originally posted by Flobberchops
    This action would be like saying "what if I am running a marathon with 100 others , only 3 can win up to third place , but if you were do the opposite of the 97 % ".The 3 winners had an edge over the 97 % who lost.

    Trading success requires a very selective approach in picking winners.
    • Eco Miser
    • By Eco Miser 8th Oct 17, 1:29 PM
    • 3,091 Posts
    • 2,856 Thanks
    Eco Miser
    • #9
    • 8th Oct 17, 1:29 PM
    • #9
    • 8th Oct 17, 1:29 PM
    95 % of traders lose,
    Originally posted by lluzers
    But each trade is a zero sum game, one winner and one loser, so if 95% of traders lose, the other 5% must be doing a lot of business, and winning mightily. Or do the losses come from the trading fees, and it's the brokers who win?
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
    • lluzers
    • By lluzers 8th Oct 17, 1:41 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    lluzers
    But each trade is a zero sum game, one winner and one loser, so if 95% of traders lose, the other 5% must be doing a lot of business, and winning mightily. Or do the losses come from the trading fees, and it's the brokers who win?
    Originally posted by Eco Miser
    The spread in trading is average 1% for ordinary public , stamp duty is 0.5% , books /education /mentoring /signal service /advice , trading courses , interest costs , mistakes (most traders make mistakes ) , overnight interest expense is where brokers make money from share dealers and other expenses make is a negative sum game .

    Money in trading is made by sitting patiently , avoiding taking 2495 trades and making money on the 5 trades out of a potential 2,500 trades every year.The other 5 % do very little business ,they certainly don't hang around noisy trading forums.The least you trade the more likely you will make money.
    • ChesterDog
    • By ChesterDog 8th Oct 17, 5:36 PM
    • 792 Posts
    • 1,378 Thanks
    ChesterDog
    I like your last sentence.

    That's the gem.
    I am one of the "Dogs of the Index".
    • lluzers
    • By lluzers 8th Oct 17, 7:37 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    lluzers
    Let me give you another analogy.

    Let us say a property flipper buy and sells properties for a 5 % profit , he is more like a trader on a trading forum , going in and out of 20 properties over a 30 year period.He has made 5 % * 20 = 100 % on his capital.

    The investor who kept his property and did nothing (maybe rented it out) will have seen a 15 fold increase = 1500 % on property , but the flipper has only seen 100% in the same .Traders have similar performance at best.

    Patience pays in trading and investing , flipping is over trading and costs eat up up profits .....i.e 1500 % versus 100%.
    • fairleads
    • By fairleads 8th Oct 17, 9:34 PM
    • 581 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    fairleads
    But thats just what it is, an analogy, not a true reflection of real life situations/circumstances
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,344Posts Today

8,884Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

  • Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

  • RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

  • Follow Martin