Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • harrys dad
    • By harrys dad 6th Oct 17, 7:08 PM
    • 1,816Posts
    • 2,033Thanks
    harrys dad
    Recommended laptop and supplier
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:08 PM
    Recommended laptop and supplier 6th Oct 17 at 7:08 PM
    Evening everyone, I have followed this forum for a long while but rarely posted. I am looking for a new laptop, and know there has been good advice here in the past.

I use a PC for the only intensive application I do, namely photos/lightroom/photoshop. For the laptop all I really want to use it for is internet browsing, skype video calls, and text based stuff, like downloading attachments from emails, filing etc etc, and the occasional youtube video. I don't do gaming.

Budget is flexible, but I am sure I should be able to get something to do what I want for £300 or less. I am quite happy to buy a refurbished machine if that is considerably cheaper.

My last attempt a year ago to sort this was to buy a small HP notebook for £125. I have been really happy with this but windows 10 eats most of the 32GB memory and is telling me it doesn't have space for "necessary" updates.

Options? Thanks in advance,
Page 1
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 6th Oct 17, 7:41 PM
    • 8,248 Posts
    • 6,209 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:41 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:41 PM
    Evening everyone, I have followed this forum for a long while but rarely posted. I am looking for a new laptop, and know there has been good advice here in the past.

I use a PC for the only intensive application I do, namely photos/lightroom/photoshop. For the laptop all I really want to use it for is internet browsing, skype video calls, and text based stuff, like downloading attachments from emails, filing etc etc, and the occasional youtube video. I don't do gaming.

Budget is flexible, but I am sure I should be able to get something to do what I want for £300 or less. I am quite happy to buy a refurbished machine if that is considerably cheaper.

My last attempt a year ago to sort this was to buy a small HP notebook for £125. I have been really happy with this but windows 10 eats most of the 32GB memory and is telling me it doesn't have space for "necessary" updates.

Originally posted by harrys dad
    You could clear out lots of stuff, using the in-built windows drive cleaning stuff , not read this but it may help https://www.windowscentral.com/5-tips-free-hard-drive-space-windows-10-pc
    Also you could use an external drive to offload some of your data
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 7th Oct 17, 10:26 AM
    • 1,306 Posts
    • 903 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 7th Oct 17, 10:26 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 10:26 AM
    Pop on Ebay and buy a Lenovo Thinkpad T420 or T430. Go for the one with the 1400x900 screen and fitted with a SSD. This one for example.

If you want a smaller one look at the THinkpad X220 or X230.

Both of these are corporate grade laptops built like a tank that cost four figures new, third party replacement batteries are cheap. There are plenty of sellers on Ebay selling refurbished ones with a 12 month guarantee. The seller newandusedlaptops4u has been on the go for a long time and seems to have a good reputation. Don't worry about them coming with Windows 7 as you can download the latest installation ISO for Windows 10 from Microsoft and use the Windows 7 product key to upgrade.
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 7th Oct 17, 11:50 AM
    • 484 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    dunroving
    • 7th Oct 17, 11:50 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 11:50 AM
    Also, see here for refurbished Dells:

http://mcscom.co.uk/
    • john22
    • By john22 7th Oct 17, 12:07 PM
    • 186 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    john22
    • 7th Oct 17, 12:07 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by harrys dad
    whats wrong with a tablet considering your requirements doesn't seem to require heavy workload
    • letsbehonest
    • By letsbehonest 7th Oct 17, 12:46 PM
    • 929 Posts
    • 210 Thanks
    letsbehonest
    • 7th Oct 17, 12:46 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 12:46 PM
    A friend and a sister were in the same predicament wanting a new Laptop but went shopping with the need for instore advice. Both were sold a budget range £350 ish one bought a Toshiba satellite the other a H.P. Both loaded with Windows 10 and both are terribly slow, maybe these low spec budget units just cannot cope to well with windows 10. I have played with both and IMOP this is the case.
    "Imagination is more Important than knowledge"
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 7th Oct 17, 6:32 PM
    • 1,306 Posts
    • 903 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 7th Oct 17, 6:32 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 6:32 PM
    Most of the problem with the low spec ones is down to the fact that they put the slowest hard drives there are on the market in them. Change out to a SSD and they're perfectly acceptable. It certainly isn't down to Windows 10 as I have it running on machines 7-10 years old just fine. A SSD drive for the OS and applications should be seen as a statutory requirement for any PC nowadays.
    • AlSto
    • By AlSto 9th Oct 17, 12:29 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    AlSto
    • 9th Oct 17, 12:29 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 12:29 PM
    Crazy money wasting advice here.

Just run a clean install of Windows 10 to your current laptop and all will be fine.

Otherwise you may have have the option to add a 32 GB SDHC card for the extra space you need. So no cost or perhaps £10 to fix the issue.

What model is it?
    • harrys dad
    • By harrys dad 9th Oct 17, 3:34 PM
    • 1,816 Posts
    • 2,033 Thanks
    harrys dad
    • 9th Oct 17, 3:34 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 3:34 PM
    Thanks for all the advice everyone, will consider next step carefully.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,569Posts Today

7,596Users online

Martin's Twitter