Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Difference of Opinion
    • By Difference of Opinion 25th Aug 17, 9:47 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 9Thanks
    Difference of Opinion
    0 WOW
    National Trust Loophole by joining Scotland using in England
    • 25th Aug 17, 9:47 AM
    0 WOW
    National Trust Loophole by joining Scotland using in England 25th Aug 17 at 9:47 AM
    Can you still join the Scottish National Trust and use it at English properties. Does this loophole still exist, as it is significantly cheaper to join the Scottish National Trust then the English National Trust. Annually joint membership is £63 compared to £108
Page 3
    • Stan.In.Devon
    • By Stan.In.Devon 17th Sep 17, 7:04 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Stan.In.Devon
    To Summerise from various posts it would appear to get an annual joint membership of the National Trust the following costs will apply.

English National Trust. £108 (includes Parking)
    Scottish National Trust £ 63 (includes Parking)
    New Zealand National Trust NZ$72 (approx £40) (Includes some parking)
    Malta National Trust 30 Euros (approx £29)( No Parking)

There are 10 other Organisations/countries with reciprocal arrangements but I do not know if they are open to Overseas residents or what is the cost of membership.

My opinion if you only going to make 3 or 4 visits then the Malta option is the best value
    If you going to make a significant amount of visit the the Scottish one would be the best deal
    New Zealand falls between the two..As it currently stands with the present rules all work out a lot cheaper than joining the English National Trust.
    Originally posted by 88Sarah
    No, not quite right. Heritage New Zealand offers NO free parking entitlements at National Trust or English Heritage sites. It says so in their blurb, everyone who has a card knows it to be the case. As I've said, I have the card, I have the terms and conditions, I've been subscribed to the NZ organisation for several years courtesy of one of their five year membership deals (no longer available to UK residents). The one year option still exists. Whether the New Zealand card (and it's absence of free parking) remains option of choice is debatable given that the Scottish option is so relatively favourable (for over 60's especially) if you value the parking benefit.
    • Syman
    • By Syman 18th Sep 17, 6:41 PM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 5,866 Thanks
    Syman
    Why do you say the English NT has no age restraints? Or am I misunderstanding you? If so I apologise.

See here ..... To say a big thank you to our loyal members and to make sure everybody can continue to enjoy the places they love, we offer a 25 per cent senior discount. If you’re 60 or over and you’ve held an individual or joint membership for at least five of the last ten years, you’ll be eligible for the reduced fee.
    For 2017 you’ll pay £48.60 for an individual senior membership and if you hold a joint senior membership it’s £80.40.
    Originally posted by Stan.In.Devon
    the discount from NT scotland is applied if you are ove 60. so as a couple under 60 we do cannot get the discount by using NT Scotland.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow..

Bookworm's Thread 2017 reading Challenge total :- 40/30
    • AnneMarie4687
    • By AnneMarie4687 21st Sep 17, 10:31 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    AnneMarie4687
    National Trust Loophole
    It really depends how often you are going to visit a National Trust property. If you are only going say 5 times a year then it is worth taking the New Zealand or Malta option and pay for the parking. It will still work out cheaper. If you are visiting more regularly then look at choosing the Scottish National Trust. Whichever alternative you chose if you are over 60 and take out a joint membership you will save a minimum of £45 a year.
    Last edited by AnneMarie4687; 21-09-2017 at 11:49 AM.
    • peewhyeff
    • By peewhyeff 24th Sep 17, 7:59 PM
    • 579 Posts
    • 878 Thanks
    peewhyeff
    It really depends how often you are going to visit a National Trust property. If you are only going say 5 times a year then it is worth taking the New Zealand or Malta option and pay for the parking. It will still work out cheaper. If you are visiting more regularly then look at choosing the Scottish National Trust. Whichever alternative you chose if you are over 60 and take out a joint membership you will save a minimum of £45 a year.
    Originally posted by AnneMarie4687
    I looked at Scotland NT and noted you have to put a car registration in for a temporary parking pass which is valid for 3 mths. I am concerned that with a joint membership we may want to travel in another vehicle, or if away from home area possibly a hire car. Does the follow up parking pass have a reg number on it? And if not, does it really take 3 months for it to be processed?
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 5th Oct 17, 10:12 AM
    • 3,858 Posts
    • 7,029 Thanks
    culpepper
    I looked at Scotland NT and noted you have to put a car registration in for a temporary parking pass which is valid for 3 mths. I am concerned that with a joint membership we may want to travel in another vehicle, or if away from home area possibly a hire car. Does the follow up parking pass have a reg number on it? And if not, does it really take 3 months for it to be processed?
    Originally posted by peewhyeff
    Ours came very quickly. First we had a paper temporary pass which was to put in the car window and that does have your registration on it , along with a little card for my pocket IIRC then it was only a few days later that the actual membership pack arrived and that has a car window sticker (non car specific and easy to take off /put on) and the plastic card and handbook.
    • Stan.In.Devon
    • By Stan.In.Devon 7th Oct 17, 11:51 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Stan.In.Devon
    Ours came very quickly. First we had a paper temporary pass which was to put in the car window and that does have your registration on it , along with a little card for my pocket IIRC then it was only a few days later that the actual membership pack arrived and that has a car window sticker (non car specific and easy to take off /put on) and the plastic card and handbook.
    Originally posted by culpepper

That's helpful to know. Thanks.
    • LisaJane1979
    • By LisaJane1979 10th Oct 17, 9:53 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    LisaJane1979
    Yes my friends do this!
    • Stan.In.Devon
    • By Stan.In.Devon 11th Oct 17, 5:19 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Stan.In.Devon
    Yes my friends do this!
    Originally posted by LisaJane1979
    What is it that your friends do?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,324Posts Today

8,882Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin