Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 26th Oct 06, 4:03 PM
    • 8,109Posts
    • 42,244Thanks
    MSE Martin
    The Debt Free Roll Of Honour
    • 26th Oct 06, 4:03 PM
    The Debt Free Roll Of Honour 26th Oct 06 at 4:03 PM

85 of you have posted on our Debt Free Roll of Honour to celebrate clearing your debts in 2016! If you haven't click reply!

Huge congratulations to:

OxfordGirl, datlex, sentientpoet, austonic, muppets, NJS2016, Bipolar_debt, monz, ab_saver, Money_Muppet , retiredandskint, lambda, Princesssparkle, Onmyway2, Seasidegal58, QuietOne, Willowpop, daveg10, NewcastlePaul, eco farmer, SpekySquarehead, C&S, Gazza1964, naff123, pineconesjay, lsmcal1984, blu3sky, villemo84, mesci, Honeylife, Karma67, timefortea, chocoholic_chick, purpleposting4, dangerpowers, e4rub, starnac, Carviscocker, Fender4, dolly84, Brightspark87, hoglet121, Bored, devon-tony, mrsbee17, Tony_, stekka, Kate_fixing_it, Gladioli, HornetSaver, sistercas, Tiglath, moneycantbuyyouhappiness, RosaBernicia, Catwoman_2015, Baldybear, Muhren, please-let-me-be-lucky, gig11, skilly, heartbreak_star, Frith, CornishMaid, tizerbelle, Ronoir,
    takingcareofthepennies, Mysteek, Sillygal, laura84gr, medusasmummy, depressed_but_determined, Soph86, princess_pea, bookworm262, Hobbes1, glentoran99, NoStrangerToDebt, CapricornLass, Serafine, 2spicy, mc2705, AshB123, koselur, mothernerd, BrandNewStart

2015 total was..
    115!! Huge Congratulations to all!!! Now let's beat that in 2016!

We started this Debt Free Roll of Honour back in 2006 and since then there have been some fabulously inspiring stories, which you'll see if you read below.

Read the most recent debt-free announcements: click the double arrow above to head to the last page of the discussion

2015 GRAND TOTAL: 115!! (2014: 92, 2013: 81)

nannygladys, beckle_82, neuromancer, Alpedro, Aphidgirl, LotsToDo, stewby, Pepperoni, Squarehead76, nonnynonny, danant, DML1954, mrshughes86, Blinky2010s, Rachiedabbler70, Playing with Fire, katy_ann, lexbubbles, diamonds, andy1886, stiltoncheese, looby1975, shofer, Karb, kittypimms, Growurown, Want_to_be_free, crazy_cat_lady, David123456, FinallyGettingFree, malnuman, ShirePiskie, black cat, boring1, kremmen, BlueEyedGirl, antonia86, ice_babe, Apple Crumble, LittleDutchgirl, natsplatnat, her_welshness, dads_albums, supersavor, KONG, HomeAlone, kerryallc71, fredtheguava, xxxJOJOxxx, The Only Girl, uncreative, NeverAgain2, Penny Bridge, boot13t, lemanie, gree0115, cakeforbrains, hydrangea, Cynical Monkey, tripled, ShopaholicNumber1, Lwsi, CrazyKitten, Nargleblast, kirstle99, Polly Wolly Doodle, SMGee, D3P0, MissShoes, kb_soma, Chimping, StrawberryJam132, maria3104, happycrafter, bassitt74, Ratison, GingerFurball, Tammy2, NewlyFrugalMumof3, cottage_retreatist, boucho11, *zippy*, MNM2903, allydowd, joee, Zabki, 7roland8, naughtymonkey, babyplum, NorthernMonkey1, Time to face the music, melwright, Daerve, johnboyinsole, Ali-OK, thewalrussaid, kika, Skinnylatte, fevlo, Seanymph, Smedley, poohbear59, happybunny86, spot3, xxlouisexx56 , Idollic, hannah2010, MrWillyWonka, Getmeoutofdebt, powellypowelly, AlexLK, Laconic, cluckyhen, rising from the ashes, KirstyO

----

Welcome to the Debt-Free Roll of Honour.

This is for Debt-Free Wannabees who are no longer Wannabees.

Please report

a. The date of your lightbulb moment
    b. Debts at their highest
    c. Debt-Free Date
    d. Your one perl of wisdom.
    e. Links to the MSE guides that helped you
    f. Which forum threads helped you
    g. And if you had a debt diary on the Debt-Free Wannabe board (DFW), a link to it

And huge congratulations

Martin

PS Please no one else post - let's keep this a pure record of successes

PPS Please come back to let us know Debt-free No Longer Wannabes - What they did next" discussion to tell us what you've been up to."

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 03-01-2017 at 12:43 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 86
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 4th Oct 17, 11:15 AM
    • 8,838 Posts
    • 21,149 Thanks
    MSE Andrea

UPDATE:

Confirmation letters from my remaining creditors that Iím clear of debt
    Originally posted by sile001
    Huge congratulations!!
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • illustrateddame
    • By illustrateddame 4th Oct 17, 11:34 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    illustrateddame
    I feel so relieved!
    LMB: 4th September 2016
    Debt at highest: £12,757.68
    DFD: Today, 4th October 2017, about 7 months earlier than expected!
    Pearl of wisdom: What helped me was noting down and keeping track of every single penny. I didn't really notice where my money was going until I saw in black and white how much debt I was in, and tracking it really helped me reign in any unnecessary spending.

Now I can start saving the deposit for my own flat
    Debt at 04/09/2016 = £12,757.68 / Debt today = £0!!
    DFD: 4th October 2017!!
    • sile001
    • By sile001 4th Oct 17, 9:32 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    sile001
    Well done!
    Debt-Free as of 12th September 2017

£12,000 > £0

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Oct 17, 9:42 PM
    • 49,085 Posts
    • 182,315 Thanks
    beanielou

UPDATE:

Confirmation letters from my remaining creditors that Iím clear of debt
    Originally posted by sile001
    LMB: 4th September 2016
    Debt at highest: £12,757.68
    DFD: Today, 4th October 2017, about 7 months earlier than expected!
    Pearl of wisdom: What helped me was noting down and keeping track of every single penny. I didn't really notice where my money was going until I saw in black and white how much debt I was in, and tracking it really helped me reign in any unnecessary spending.

Now I can start saving the deposit for my own flat
    Originally posted by illustrateddame
    Well done to you both
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • pab233
    • By pab233 5th Oct 17, 1:43 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    pab233
    LBM : A long time ago ...
    Highest : £26,208.60
    Started paying back : November 2015
    DFD : 01/10/2017
    Pearl of wisdom : Stop spending. I don't need books, CDs, DVDs, video games, latest sports equipment, satellite TV

Helped no end by a partner who has allowed me to live rent-free for 2 years and my mother who gave me a substantial sum to clear the debts. If it wasn't for them, I would be nowhere near.

Being totally honest, I'm absolutely debt free as, whilst I am finally clear of all long-term debts, I still owe £2100 to my mother as she paid for some very expensive car repairs for me with the view that she would rather I owed it to her than a credit card. I will be free from that debt at the start of December.

Now to start saving to buy partner's ex-husbands share of the house
    SPC 9 2015/16 # 451 £266 SPC 10 2016/2017 #451 £273 SPC 11 2017/2018 #451 ?
    LBM : Oct 2015 : £26,208.60 Current : £0.00 Paid : £26,208.60 Achieved : 01/10/2017
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Oct 17, 3:57 PM
    • 49,085 Posts
    • 182,315 Thanks
    beanielou
    pab233~~Great result for you.
    Not long til December

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • pancakequeen
    • By pancakequeen 5th Oct 17, 4:51 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    pancakequeen
    Lightbulb moment: March 2006

Debt at highest: £18,000

Pearl of Wisdom: 'Do I really need it?'

Debt Free Date: 5 October 2017

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Oct 17, 8:35 PM
    • 49,085 Posts
    • 182,315 Thanks
    beanielou
    Lightbulb moment: March 2006

Debt at highest: £18,000

Pearl of Wisdom: 'Do I really need it?'

Debt Free Date: 5 October 2017

Originally posted by pancakequeen
    Great result

• Paul_DNAP
    • By Paul_DNAP 18th Oct 17, 1:46 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Paul_DNAP
    Been debt free for over 15years now, enjoying talking about savings instead.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 18th Oct 17, 8:41 PM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 10,270 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Been debt free for over 15years now, enjoying talking about savings instead.
    Originally posted by Paul_DNAP
    Ooh, I can't wait to be in that position
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/November 2017=3,475
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Miss Toffee Penny
    • By Miss Toffee Penny 22nd Oct 17, 9:23 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Miss Toffee Penny
    LMB: 2008
    Debt at highest: £52k
    DFD: Summer 2017
    Pearl of wisdom: I'm not going to lie, retraining yourself to think differently about debt is tough. I still have the odd pangs for splashing out on 'stuff' but I am getting better at waiting and questioning whether I want it or need it.
    I no longer want to live hand to mouth. I no longer want to be a slave to debt. I want all my wages to myself to do what I want with. As I've got a little older (and hopefully wiser) I now understand the importance of saving money for a rainy day. That's what we will be concentrating on from now on; saving, so we will never fall into the high interest credit card/loan trap again.
    (Used to post on here as Toffee Penny) the people on the debt free wannabe board helped me so much back in the day when I was posting regularly. Thank you to each and every one of you who helped me through my darkest days at the beginning of the DMP.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 22nd Oct 17, 9:56 PM
    • 49,085 Posts
    • 182,315 Thanks
    beanielou
    LMB: 2008
    Debt at highest: £52k
    DFD: Summer 2017
    Pearl of wisdom: I'm not going to lie, retraining yourself to think differently about debt is tough. I still have the odd pangs for splashing out on 'stuff' but I am getting better at waiting and questioning whether I want it or need it.
    I no longer want to live hand to mouth. I no longer want to be a slave to debt. I want all my wages to myself to do what I want with. As I've got a little older (and hopefully wiser) I now understand the importance of saving money for a rainy day. That's what we will be concentrating on from now on; saving, so we will never fall into the high interest credit card/loan trap again.
    (Used to post on here as Toffee Penny) the people on the debt free wannabe board helped me so much back in the day when I was posting regularly. Thank you to each and every one of you who helped me through my darkest days at the beginning of the DMP.
    Originally posted by Miss Toffee Penny
    Pleased for you

• Alarae
    • By Alarae 26th Oct 17, 9:38 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    Alarae
    Lightbulb moment: October 2016

Debts at highest:!£7,076.47

Debt free date:!October 2017

Pearl of Wisdom: Don't think about doing it. Don't think about failing. Just do it. No better time than now.

---

It is such a relief to pay off my last credit card today (even if the payment was over 3k!) as I am officially debt free! In order to pay it all off in a year I resorted to taking on two extra part time jobs around my full time, working 70 hours a week two days a week for 17 hours (excluding travel and work breaks). The third part time job I only lasted in for six months, but I still have the second and I love it! I saved every single penny of my second/third job earnings to pay off bulk amounts off my debt.

I didn't actually have to pay off my debt today as it is at 0% for another year, but it is just nice to have it gone and any money is officially mine, instead of earmarked against debt.

After paying off my card I have my savings started at £500 for this month which will slowly increase through part time job earnings. My car insurance, mot and service have all been paid off in full (no credit!) over the past two months, so no worries.

I can actually save now. It feels wonderful.

One thing I am truly grateful for is the fact I did this now, as I've got rid of this noose relatively young and can go into my mid-twenties next month (25) absolutely free! OH and I got our mortgage two years ago, so next discussions are for mortgage overpayments!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 26th Oct 17, 9:44 PM
    • 49,085 Posts
    • 182,315 Thanks
    beanielou
    Lightbulb moment: October 2016

Debts at highest:!£7,076.47

Debt free date:!October 2017

Pearl of Wisdom: Don't think about doing it. Don't think about failing. Just do it. No better time than now.

---

It is such a relief to pay off my last credit card today (even if the payment was over 3k!) as I am officially debt free! In order to pay it all off in a year I resorted to taking on two extra part time jobs around my full time, working 70 hours a week two days a week for 17 hours (excluding travel and work breaks). The third part time job I only lasted in for six months, but I still have the second and I love it! I saved every single penny of my second/third job earnings to pay off bulk amounts off my debt.

I didn't actually have to pay off my debt today as it is at 0% for another year, but it is just nice to have it gone and any money is officially mine, instead of earmarked against debt.

After paying off my card I have my savings started at £500 for this month which will slowly increase through part time job earnings. My car insurance, mot and service have all been paid off in full (no credit!) over the past two months, so no worries.

I can actually save now. It feels wonderful.

One thing I am truly grateful for is the fact I did this now, as I've got rid of this noose relatively young and can go into my mid-twenties next month (25) absolutely free! OH and I got our mortgage two years ago, so next discussions are for mortgage overpayments!
    Originally posted by Alarae
    Great news for you

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 28th Oct 17, 1:07 PM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 10,270 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Originally posted by Alarae
    Congratulations. I was inspired to get my second job by reading your diary so you helped me greatly. Thank you.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/November 2017=3,475
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 31st Oct 17, 1:12 PM
    • 2,301 Posts
    • 11,194 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    The date of your lightbulb moment: When I first joined the DFW forum in Oct 2006.

Debts at their highest: £58,766 between my DH & myself.

Debt-Free Date: Today 31 October 2017

Your one perl of wisdom: It's not a credit card, it's a debt card. Also remember you won't win the lottery, or write a best selling novel, or inherit a fortune, so don't spend as though you might. No one is going to bail you out, you have to do it for yourself.

Links to the MSE guides that helped you: Too many to mention.

Which forum threads helped you: Too many to mention.

If you had a debt diary on the Debt-Free Wannabe board (DFW), a link to it: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867

My DH drew out his pension in July. He only had enough to pay half of our debts. We both offered all of our creditors 50% of what we owed them in Full & Final settlement. Eventually they all said yes and today we paid the last one and are debt free. Had we not done this we would have been in debt until the day we died owing to huge debts and a tiny income.

I want to thank Martin Lewis and everyone on this site and the DFW forum for giving me the knowledge, inspiration and motivation to become debt free.
    Last edited by HairyHandofDartmoor; 31-10-2017 at 1:16 PM.
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 October 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund
    Emergency Fund 1 = £818/Emergency Fund 2 = £203.76
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 31st Oct 17, 6:06 PM
    • 49,085 Posts
    • 182,315 Thanks
    beanielou
    The date of your lightbulb moment: When I first joined the DFW forum in Oct 2006.

Debts at their highest: £58,766 between my DH & myself.

Debt-Free Date: Today 31 October 2017

Your one perl of wisdom: It's not a credit card, it's a debt card. Also remember you won't win the lottery, or write a best selling novel, or inherit a fortune, so don't spend as though you might. No one is going to bail you out, you have to do it for yourself.

Links to the MSE guides that helped you: Too many to mention.

Which forum threads helped you: Too many to mention.

If you had a debt diary on the Debt-Free Wannabe board (DFW), a link to it: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867

My DH drew out his pension in July. He only had enough to pay half of our debts. We both offered all of our creditors 50% of what we owed them in Full & Final settlement. Eventually they all said yes and today we paid the last one and are debt free. Had we not done this we would have been in debt until the day we died owing to huge debts and a tiny income.

I want to thank Martin Lewis and everyone on this site and the DFW forum for giving me the knowledge, inspiration and motivation to become debt free.
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    So so pleased for you

• Captain Bluebear
    • By Captain Bluebear 31st Oct 17, 10:16 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 689 Thanks
    Captain Bluebear
    Lightbulb moment: December 2015

Debts at highest: £5629

Debt free date: 31/10/2017

Pearl of wisdom: A bit extreme for most people but if you adore your parents and they happen to have a spare 'granny annex' on the back of their house...move into it.

Which MSE threads helped you: I wouldn't be here without Muppets "Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017". I'm so very grateful to everyone there....especially Muppets!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Blue
    LBM Dec 15 £5,629 paid £2740 in 2016

PAYDBX17 #66 £2889/£2889
    Debt free on 31/10/17!!!
    • Kombi82
    • By Kombi82 1st Nov 17, 8:51 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Kombi82
    Wow after 3 years in a DMP, 7 years of paying off a student loan, having 2 kids in that time I can finally say I am debt free. Today I made my final payment to Stepchange and last week I made my final payment to my student loan. These have been 2 dead weights round my neck for too long. When I originally entered into my DMP it came back at 6 years so I have scrimped and saved enough to pay it off earlier. Moving jobs to get more money etc to pay it off quicker. The student loan was equally as painful, I moved from PAYE to DD with my loan last year and that was a master stroke as I could see it go down monthly rather than wait until April for an HMRC update.

Lightbulb moment came in 2013 when Debtswere drowning me monthly.

Debt at Highest: including student loan during 2013 was £16318

Pearl of wisdom: tell your partner, I told my wife in 2017 after keeping it secret for 3 years and she was a massive help in getting me to cut down on stuff. Another pearl is creating your own spreadsheet tracking your progress, seeing the end goal is also a big help. I also log into the Stepchange DMP and student loan repayment website more than I should to see the fruit of your labour.
    • T9090H
    • By T9090H 2nd Nov 17, 3:31 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    T9090H
    Hi I’m debt free finally!! When do I get my badge?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

158Posts Today

2,101Users online

Martin's Twitter