Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gatherallthethings
    • By gatherallthethings 11th Sep 17, 3:24 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    gatherallthethings
    Old credit card statements
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:24 PM
    Old credit card statements 11th Sep 17 at 3:24 PM
    I'm trying to get machine-readable Visa credit card statements from First Direct.

They have six years of records of data about my spending which they can process into statements, print out, and post for a fee, but I really want the electronic data on which these statements would be based. (I can log in online and get the last 3 months, but not the full six years.)

The electronic data clearly exists *somewhere*. Do I have a right to have an electronic copy of what they record about me? The bank doesn't outright refuse to give me a copy, they just say things "it's not part of our service to give you that data" etc.

No one I've spoken to is clear about where the data is kept; it might be in a First Direct computer, or they fetch it on-demand from a Visa computer. I think it's another form of deflection on their part honestly: a way to avoid giving me the data by making it sound more complicated than it has to be!
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 11th Sep 17, 3:28 PM
    • 14,046 Posts
    • 14,732 Thanks
    zx81
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:28 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 3:28 PM
    You could request it as part of a SAR, but they only need to give it to in a format of their choosing - not yours.
    • gatherallthethings
    • By gatherallthethings 11th Sep 17, 5:34 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gatherallthethings
    • 11th Sep 17, 5:34 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 5:34 PM
    I feel like coming at them as a customer, via their phone lines, isn't really working. What's the best way to escalate that this into a super-serious-subject-access-request (to which they can't say no) as opposed to a customer-request (to which they refuse to say yes!)?

I guess write a letter to ... their data officer?

It's hard to know the correct avenue for communication with these people, that will yield actual results. Talking on the phone is obviously getting me nowhere
    • zx81
    • By zx81 11th Sep 17, 5:36 PM
    • 14,046 Posts
    • 14,732 Thanks
    zx81
    • 11th Sep 17, 5:36 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 5:36 PM
    Just send a letter, with your £10, asking for a SAR.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 27th Sep 17, 5:17 AM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 912 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 27th Sep 17, 5:17 AM
    • 27th Sep 17, 5:17 AM
    Why should they do this for you?
    Yes you can request copies of old statements for which a per-statement charge is usually applied. But why should they provide you with more than that?
    I also have a feeling that provision of 6 years worth of statements, which is a service normally charged for, could not realistically be included in an SAR It is after all not information held about you as such and would probably be seen as a way to get out of paying the clearly stated charge for copy statements.
    Last edited by Ben8282; 08-10-2017 at 10:29 AM.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 5th Oct 17, 12:53 AM
    • 7,756 Posts
    • 7,847 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 5th Oct 17, 12:53 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 12:53 AM
    I'm struggling to see any stoozing aspect to this...?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,661Posts Today

6,817Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin