Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 1994Baz94
    • By 1994Baz94 3rd Oct 17, 12:20 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    1994Baz94
    Estate agents charging £300 to clean a clean flat?
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:20 AM
    Estate agents charging £300 to clean a clean flat? 3rd Oct 17 at 12:20 AM
    Hi,

Iíve recently began my final year of studies and have just received an email from the estate agent I used when renting a flat last year, regarding cleaning charges.

Upon arrival to my flat last year, the place was unfinished, with industrial everywhere, minimal furniture in place, and tools still lying around within the flat. We received an initial rent reduction of half a month off, no worries.

Prior to leaving the flat, I paid for cleaners to come in and clean the place, itís was left almost spotless and I have pictures to prove this, aswell as pictures at the start of the tenancy to prove the state of the flat then.

Iíve today received an email stating that Iím being charged £300 for an unnecessary Ďdeep clean appliance cleaní all of the deposit that I put down. Iím not sure who they got in to clean the flat, but at them rates, it must have been bloody royalty. Baring in my mind the state of the flat upon my arrival and the way I left the place, Iím clearly being ripped off. Some of the pictures they sent me as evidence for the flat being left untidy where laughable, one being a close up of a KFC wipe in the back corner of a shelf. Surely the estate agents should account for minimal wear and tear?

Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking of going straight to the managing director of the estate agents with a complaint, but would that get me anywhere?

Appreciate any help.
Page 1
    • _shel
    • By _shel 3rd Oct 17, 6:11 AM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 1,810 Thanks
    _shel
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:11 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:11 AM
    This type of behaviour from landlords is normal and unless your deposit was protected and you have photographic evidence of the place before and after there’s not much you can do.
    Thanks to everyone who posts competitions
    • 1994Baz94
    • By 1994Baz94 3rd Oct 17, 9:47 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    1994Baz94
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:47 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:47 AM
    Hi Shel,

I do have photographic evidence of before and after. Anything I can do?
    • _shel
    • By _shel 4th Oct 17, 5:12 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 1,810 Thanks
    _shel
    • 4th Oct 17, 5:12 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 5:12 PM
    Did they protect your deposit? If so appeal to them, they will mediate
    Thanks to everyone who posts competitions
    • Lingua
    • By Lingua 11th Oct 17, 12:24 PM
    • 196 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    Lingua
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:24 PM
    • 11th Oct 17, 12:24 PM
    Appeal to the scheme your tenancy was protected under - is it TDS? As mentioned above, they will mediate the dispute. Submit your photographic evidence, as well as a receipt for the clean you paid for if possible.

Good luck!

Lingua
    Long-Term Goal: £14'000 / £40'000 mortgage downpayment (2020)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

281Posts Today

1,851Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin