Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MariaJP
    • By MariaJP 25th Sep 17, 6:07 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 2Thanks
    MariaJP
    Opticians
    • 25th Sep 17, 6:07 PM
    Opticians 25th Sep 17 at 6:07 PM
    I found myself pressurised and manoeuvred into buying 3 new frames that I did Not want or need.
    I had 3 good quality one-year old frames (including an expensive designer one), which I wanted reglazed with new prescription. I was told emphatically, as a universal fact, that it would be cheaper to discard last year's frames and buy new ones. This was the dispensing optician's considered "professional" opinion. What a waste, not to mention environment! I was quoted £126.00 each for reglazing my 3 frames (total cost £378.00). I later found this not to be true, as other opticians did agree that reglazing my existing 3 frames is a cheaper and better option. I know I could have taken the prescription and shopped around. But this is not a point - an optician is a healthcare professional bound by a code of conduct and should act with integrity, not like an avaricious and unscrupulous trader. Given this malpractice, I am not surprised that many people whose medical condition necessitates a regular eye test do not have this done and suffer. "Trust me, I am an optician" no longer holds true for me. No joy with GOC - they seem to condone this conduct. Profit rules!
    Kind regards,
    Maria
Page 1
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 25th Sep 17, 6:43 PM
    • 1,490 Posts
    • 3,132 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 25th Sep 17, 6:43 PM
    • 25th Sep 17, 6:43 PM
    Why would you take financial advice from an optician?

Sounds like buyers remorse.

(Oh my days, you've been moaning about this for a year!)
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 25th Sep 17, 10:05 PM
    • 7,671 Posts
    • 7,748 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 25th Sep 17, 10:05 PM
    • 25th Sep 17, 10:05 PM
    And Your campaign is just what exactly..?
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 27th Sep 17, 8:34 AM
    • 7,613 Posts
    • 5,415 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 27th Sep 17, 8:34 AM
    • 27th Sep 17, 8:34 AM
    I'm always shocked when I see two shops selling exactly the same thing for different prices. It's almost like shops are deliberately trying to maximise their profits. Totally unscrupulous!

If only every shop was a member of a price-fixing cartel... Then you could be sure that everyone else would be paying the same high price as you.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 27th Sep 17, 12:58 PM
    • 9,749 Posts
    • 4,004 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 27th Sep 17, 12:58 PM
    • 27th Sep 17, 12:58 PM
    <<If only every shop was a member of a price-fixing cartel... Then you could be sure that everyone else would be paying the same high price as you.>

Its in Joe ( man of steel ) Corbyns to do list .
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 22nd Oct 17, 10:03 AM
    • 18,668 Posts
    • 196,927 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    • 22nd Oct 17, 10:03 AM
    • 22nd Oct 17, 10:03 AM
    An optician is out to make money, they do not run the business to benefit other people, it may well have been their opinion that it was cheaper to get new glasses, but you did not have to buy from there, and there is quite a few online companies that will reglaze your glasses for a very good price.

Learn the lesson and take someone with you next time to remind you of what you decided.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,324Posts Today

8,882Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin