Switching from British Gas - can anyone save me from sitting on the phone for hours??

woodyt
woodyt Posts: 112
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
Hi,
I'm with British Gas and due to the end of my current deal they are putting my prices up by £400.
I was ready to switch to a better deal last night when hubby piped up -"why don't you ring BG to see if they can offer anything better?"
I really can't see that happening , so just wondered if anybody has had any success ringing them up or will I just be wasting valuable time sat on the phone?
Many thanks.

Comments

• All energy providers offers can be found by using the price comparison sites.
    Phoning up makes no difference as they cannot offer special one off deals unlike say your broadband supplier.
    Use a site like https://energycompare.citizensadvice.org.uk/ or https://clubs.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub/login and see what is on offer.

More information about switching can be found at http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/you-switch-gas-electricity
  • The_Big_Bamboo
    The_Big_Bamboo Posts: 178
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 13 September 2017 at 8:18AM
    OP;
    If you are on the B.Gas ‘Collective Fix Oct.17’ tariff you’d be better off just switching to a cheaper supplier if cost is your number one priority. I’ve applied to switch from this tariff to AVRO Energy on a 12 month fixed deal with no exit fees.

The B.Gas ‘Collective Fix Oct.17’ end on 3rd October and Avro say the switch should be completed by 10th October,…which means I’ll be switched to B.Gas’ exorbitant ‘Standard Tariff’ for the last 7 days.

I’ve read several posts on other forums were people have tried (and failed) to negotiate a better deal with British Gas.

The B.Gas tariffs on offer, for my usage, are all astronomic!...perhaps they don’t want domestic customers like me anymore.

The only downside is that both my ‘Smart’ meters, that I’ve had for almost 2 years, will become ‘dumb’ meters. It was only on Sunday when I made the decision to switch to AVRO that I discovered that I’m £500 in credit with B.Gas! :
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,056
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    As others have said you don't "negotiate" with any supplier.

Stick to your original intention and put your actual consumption in kWh not £ into a comparison site. Ignore the sayings figure and go by the estimated cost. Swop to who ever you are happiest with.

As usual the advice is monthly readings, read and understand your bill.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Wind&Solar
    Wind&Solar Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 13 September 2017 at 9:14AM
    In my experience it's a total waste of time phoning BG! Apart from waiting an age to actually speak to someone, when you finally do get through they give incorrect information and you end up having to phone back anyway....for even more misinformation!

In frustration I ended up going online to the BG website, logged into my account and got all the information I needed (tariffs, account balances, DD info, any deals available, refund of overpayment). BG prices were way more expensive than many competitors and ultimately I've switched to nPower saving around £400 2017/18 dual fuel.

Like others have said there seems to be no negotiating with energy companies, it is what it is, period. Kudos to MSE for their outstanding deal fix with BG last year, it can't have been easy!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    [QUOTE=Wind&Solar;73118605
    Like others have said there seems to be no negotiating with energy companies, it is what it is, period. Kudos to MSE for their outstanding deal fix with BG last year, it can't have been easy![/QUOTE]

They didn't do it out of kindness, or for charity. 100K customer transfers may well have netted them over £3M in referral fees. With suppliers now offering deals via cash back sites, individual referrals etc, it is likely that we have seen the last of the big collective switches.

Interestingly, one of the other collective switching sites recently negotiated an excellent broadband/phone deal with Zen which was also made available to existing customers. I will save over £150 per year plus I was sent a 'free' modem/router worth £150. Perhaps MSE will move in this direction?
  • OP;
    If you are on the B.Gas ‘Collective Fix Oct.17’ tariff you’d be better off just switching to a cheaper supplier if cost is your number one priority. I’ve applied to switch from this tariff to AVRO Energy on a 12 month fixed deal with no exit fees.

The B.Gas ‘Collective Fix Oct.17’ end on 3rd October and Avro say the switch should be completed by 10th October,…which means I’ll be switched to B.Gas’ exorbitant ‘Standard Tariff’ for the last 7 days.

I’ve read several posts on other forums were people have tried (and failed) to negotiate a better deal with British Gas.

The B.Gas tariffs on offer, for my usage, are all astronomic!...perhaps they don’t want domestic customers like me anymore.

The only downside is that both my ‘Smart’ meters, that I’ve had for almost 2 years, will become ‘dumb’ meters. It was only on Sunday when I made the decision to switch to AVRO that I discovered that I’m £500 in credit with B.Gas! :

They shouldn't put you on their SVT for the last 7 days as the Price Protection Promise rules apply if you have initiated your switch before the fixed deal ends
  • System
    Community Admin
    They shouldn't put you on their SVT for the last 7 days as the Price Protection Promise rules apply if you have initiated your switch before the fixed deal ends

Not entirely accurate, I am afraid. The Standard Licence Condition is as follows;

22D.12 Where paragraph 22D.13 applies, the licensee must ensure that a Domestic Customer will continue to be subject to the same Charges for the Supply of Gas and the same terms and conditions that applied to the Dead Tariff until they have changed their supplier.

22D.13 This paragraph applies where one of the following conditions is satisfied:

(a) no later than 20 Working Days after (but not including) the date on which the Dead Tariff is due to terminate or be changed in order for the Domestic Customer to become subject to the licensee’s Relevant Cheapest Evergreen Tariff, the licensee receives Notice under the Network Code by way of the Relevant Gas Shipper that another Gas Supplier will begin to supply the Domestic Customer’s Domestic Premises within a reasonable period of time; and (b) another Gas Supplier begins to supply the Domestic Customer’s Domestic Premises within a reasonable period of time after the date on which the Notice referred to in sub-paragraph 22D.13(a) is given

It follows that you could initiate a switch 7 days before the end of your fixed term contract, and still find yourself paying the old supplier's SVT if the new supplier makes a botch of the actual transfer; for example, gets your meter number wrong. In such a situation, you would pay the old supplier the SVT and argue about the extra cost with the new supplier.
  • Hi just in the processing of switching myself and gone to IRESA Limited fixed for 12 months and my gas and electric will be £680 down from £940
    hope that helps if you haven't switched yet
  • System
    Community Admin
    BROKEN wrote: »
    Hi just in the processing of switching myself and gone to IRESA Limited fixed for 12 months and my gas and electric will be £680 down from £940
    hope that helps if you haven't switched yet

Have a look at Iresa’s feedback on this forum; Trustpilot and on Facebook. MSE CEC also carries a warning.
  • I called BG today to see if they had any better options than the ones I can see online, for when my Collective Fix ends on 3 October. The answer was a very clear no.

So I am now trying to decide between an EDF or E.On 1 year fix, or Ovo 2 year switch......

After 2 good years with BG (I really like their online & app account management) it's time to say cheerio.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure