PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House share utility bills. Help needed!!!!

2»

Comments

• E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Organisation Representative
    Good morning ianclarke77 and welcome to the forum.

Some really good questions from the posters here, so thank you guys.

From your post it sounds to me like the account and bills are in your name only.

I also think there may have been some estimated meter reads used previously to bill the account and these were low. As we've now received an actual meter read it sounds like this may be a catch up bill.

I understand you've been paying £30 per month, this does appear really low and may also have caused part of the balance.

It's going to be best to speak with us and establish what has [FONT=&quot]happened[/FONT] and then we can talk through payment plans and how we can help.

I would also suggest setting up an online account (if you haven't already got one) This means you can really manage your own account and keep a close eye on things. You can then pop some meter reads on when you like and produce a real time bill or balance. This would be helpful if new tenants move in.

You can also adjust your Direct Debit on there, by 20% up or down with meters reads or 5% without reads.

Hope this helps a little.

Thank you

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,838
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite

I understand you've been paying £30 per month, this does appear really low and may also have caused part of the balance.

If there was 6 people in one house, 6 x £30(£180 per month) should leave a credit, for some months after they moved out.
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Organisation Representative
    sevenhills wrote: »
    If there was 6 people in one house, 6 x £30(£180 per month) should leave a credit, for some months after they moved out.

Thanks,

I read it as just ianclarke77 was paying £30 per month for the last year, when they were on their own.

But yes, I get your point. If they all paid that there might be a credit. I'm not sure what the heating is etc if it's all electric heating that can be expensive.

I can see the OP hasn't come back, I could do with a bit more info really. But happy to help.

Thanks again.

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    phillw wrote: »

I would have thought that you'd ask for an up to date bill every time someone moved in or out. If I moved into a property then I wouldn't expect to pay towards utility bills racked up by previous tenants.

I'd be pretty sure this is the root cause, and while it's not at all unusual for students not to consider such things the OP is the one who has been lumbered with the big bill as a result. I'd say you only have 3 options:

1) Pay it yourself, perhaps with a payment plan
    2) Contact previous occupants and try to get them to chip in.
    3) Attempt to negotiate a lower final bill with E.ON.

Sadly I suspect you'll end up with option 1.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I'd be pretty sure this is the root cause, and while it's not at all unusual for students not to consider such things the OP is the one who has been lumbered with the big bill as a result. I'd say you only have 3 options:

1) Pay it yourself, perhaps with a payment plan
    2) Contact previous occupants and try to get them to chip in.
    3) Attempt to negotiate a lower final bill with E.ON.

Sadly I suspect you'll end up with option 1.
    I agree. Unfortunately I think the OP has also reached this conclusion and lost the will to live.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure