Car Insurance - No Vehicle Car

After some advice as having a bit of a problem with my insurance company.

I went with Go Skippy and have been directed to Watford and Eldon.

I used confused.com car insurance and Go skippy was one of the cheapest, as part of my search I chose how much excess I wanted to pay, that I wanted courtesy car and no to the other stuff like legal expenses etc. Went through a few different screens where everything I wanted was right, when it went onto the next screen (actual GoSkippy screen) the courtesy car was showing as an added extra.

So I rang Goskippy to say it was showing I had it on the first few screens but not the last, the advisor explained that a courtesy car WAS included but was subject to availability, the optional extra of £35 was to guarantee courtesy car. Which reiterated what it said on confused.com site when you press the I for information buttons.

After searching other car insurances I decided to opt with Go Skippy and did my insurance online, when I had the documents I thought nothing of the X by the courtesy car option as I had already confirmed this with the advisor.

3 weeks later ... boom car problem ... and need courtesy car. So I ring the insurance who say I don't have it on my policy. Advised of the above, so they said they would check through phonecalls, which they tell me they do not have a recording of, when I questioned this they said their system was "100% accurate and of top quality". I stated that it was not just the advisor that confirmed this but the site as well.

They were supposed to ring me back but obviously haven't heard anything. Having now read loads of reviews on here I understand they are completely crap, I have been thrown from pillar to post with GoSkippy/Eldon and Watford which is a separate thread in itself.

My problem is I potentially have an insurance issue with my car so cant just cancel and go elsewhere, but I haven't got the policy I believed I had between the online function and the advisor. Because they cant "find" the original phonecall they pretty much will not speak to me about the courtesy car.

Never in all my years driving have I taken insurance without a courtesy car, or ever had such problems with a company. Where do I stand here. There is clearly a potential fault on the confused.com site saying x, y and z are included, but also a fault with the advisor confirming I had x, y and z ... but no phonecall to back it up.

Lastly, and sorry for this getting long, but I did a mock quote on confused.com and took screen shots to show GoSkippy what I as a front end user was seeing, but they refused to even look.
99.9% of my posts include sarcasm!
Touch my bum :money:
Tesco - £1000 , Carpet - £20, Barclaycard - £50, HSBC - £50 + Car - £1700
SAVED =£0
Debts - £2850

Comments

• k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,175
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 11 September 2017 at 2:40PM
    This is potentially the difference between paying the additional for a 'guaranteed' courtesy car (i.e. a hire car) and whether the repairer being used has a courtesy car of their own which may or may not be available at the time you need it.

Given you've gone the cheapest route (and learnt a harsh lesson from this) then you're very much in the 2nd camp of whether you can find an approved repairer on their list with a car available

As for the Confused/Go Skippy issue one of the final declarations you make is that you've read/understood the terms and the contract you're about to take and that only this information should be taken into consideration. Issues happen between the price comparers and the companies themselves but you've little is any comeback
  • Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,273
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    3 weeks later ... boom car problem

When you say this you do mean an accident don't you? - Not a breakdown?
  • Marker_2
    Marker_2 Posts: 3,260 Forumite
    More mechanical issue. Currently with dealers
    SAVED =£0
    Debts - £2850
  • Insurance wouldn't normally provide a car for that though
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Marker wrote: »
    More mechanical issue. Currently with dealers

Courtesy car cover usually follows a claim on the policy. Are you making a claim?
  • Marker_2
    Only just found out it was mechanical, at the time my car almost blew up (slight exaggeration but felt like it at the time) so didn't know what it was then - it may be a defect with the car, just don't know, the dealer however have provided a courtesy car.

So I probably won't need to go through insurance, but finding out I haven't got what I thought I paid for - and confirmed with the agent - is really worrying.

I just feel misled with what it said on the site and what the agent said to what I actually have.
    SAVED =£0
    Debts - £2850
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Only just found out it was mechanical, at the time my car almost blew up (slight exaggeration but felt like it at the time) so didn't know what it was then - it may be a defect with the car, just don't know, the dealer however have provided a courtesy car.

So I probably won't need to go through insurance, but finding out I haven't got what I thought I paid for - and confirmed with the agent - is really worrying.

I just feel misled with what it said on the site and what the agent said to what I actually have.

None of that sounds like an insurance claim.

At least you have time to sort it now.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,175
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite

Grandmother to suck eggs time but short of the car catching fire whilst you're driving it I'm struggling to think of a mechanical issue whilst you're driving that would lead to an insurance claim and therefore need for a courtesy car (although I'm sure someone cleverer will come up with an example)
  • Marker_2
    Well I would have gone through my insurance to get an independent engineers report, but wouldn't touch them with a barge pole now.

They did say had I of been entitled to a courtesy car they wouldn't have given me one until my car was confirmed as repairable, which would have taken them two weeks to decide.

A few other annoyances as well. But at least I have time to sort out this issue. Another 11 months with this company ��
    SAVED =£0
    Debts - £2850
  • Marker wrote: »
    Well I would have gone through my insurance to get an independent engineers report, but wouldn't touch them with a barge pole now.

They did say had I of been entitled to a courtesy car they wouldn't have given me one until my car was confirmed as repairable, which would have taken them two weeks to decide.

A few other annoyances as well. But at least I have time to sort out this issue. Another 11 months with this company ��

What insurer covers breakdowns?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport