Donate for transplant or research?

I'll be writing my will soon and I'd like to figure out what the best use of my body is. How much shortage is there for transplant organs? Or bodies for surgery education? Or bodies for research? Which is likely to do the most good?

Transplant appears like an obvious win but I doubt they could be that desperate if they haven't started an option out system yet. Likewise I've read that they won't always use transplant donor bodies for surgery practice, so again maybe they're not particularly desperate.

The only caveat is I don't want my family to have to wait years for a funeral service, although I may suffice to have the service before the body is finished with

Comments

• Crabapple
    Crabapple Posts: 1,573 Forumite
    They absolutely are desperate for transplant organs. There is always a fuss kicked up about changing the system to opt-out so governments have been nervous of doing it.

Whatever you choose be aware these types of wishes are not binding even in a will so you need to tell your closest family and impress on them you want this to happen.

If you prefer research then you need to find details for who wants bodies and how to get in touch with them, as they need to take charge of a body pretty swiftly. Whether they take one depends on many factors.
    :heartpuls Daughter born January 2012 :heartpuls Son born February 2014 :heartpuls

Slimming World ~ trying to get back on the wagon...
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,551
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'll be writing my will soon and I'd like to figure out what the best use of my body is. How much shortage is there for transplant organs? Or bodies for surgery education? Or bodies for research? Which is likely to do the most good?

It's way too late to tell people about your wishes in your will.

Your will may not be looked at for some time after you die.

If you want parts of your body to be used, people close to you need to know before you die so that the hospital has the option to keep you on life support while matches are made.

You can register on the Organ Donor Register - https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    I think maybe transplant as that will have a direct result, although the brain may be free to be used for research.

I will tell my loved ones, but they don't like my decision and want my body untampered with - I don't even like the idea of being buried and decaying
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    I want to be cremated eventually but wife doesn't want me to be...
  • Mojisola
    Forumite
    I think maybe transplant as that will have a direct result, although the brain may be free to be used for research.

I will tell my loved ones, but they don't like my decision and want my body untampered with - I don't even like the idea of being buried and decaying

That could be a problem - even if you register for organ donation, your relatives can over-ride that.

Doctors won't take organs if the relatives are set against it.
  • Hedgehog99
    Hedgehog99 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    If you choose the medical research option, you need to choose the university and do their paperwork in advance and make sure the relevant info is available to relatives and medical staff at the time of your death.

Some places allow you to donate free, some are beginning to charge because people were seeing it as the way to a free funeral.

There's usually a service of thanks at the end of the time the medical students have been working on your body.

I'd read the info received by someone who'd registered to donate their body, but in the end, the organisation concerned wasn't able to accept their body. It's important that your executors know what your desired Plan B is in case your body cannot be used, and that they are in a position to arrange that for you.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,903
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Start with carrying a donor card.

Of course what you want & what *happens* can vary massively - especially if your currently breathing family are all squeamish. I've met a couple of astoundingly persuasive medics though - much is possible.

Frankly, plan to outlive the horrified but ensure you're in good nick for spares - lay off any smoking or drinking, keep fit, try not to need prescription medication much if at all - in fact live a nice healthy MS life right up to the point where an empty ambulance slides on an ice patch & knocks you for 6. They've got almost all the gear to hold you in the best possible nick for recovery (let alone transplant) and it always helps if you do actually die in a hospital (ideally a major one) as they've got the kit & personnel to do you credit. As well as hotlines to those most in need of all the handy spares.

Start with carrying the card. Then get & stay as healthy as you can. Educate your children. Then see how the dice land.
  • Mojisola
    Forumite
    Start with carrying a donor card.

Cards can get lost so sign up online as well.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Don't forget - when it comes to the time they might not want you for a variety of reasons.

Make sure that you write in it what you want to happen to your remains in the event of them having to make that choice.

e.g. cremation ....but then what? Grave/headstone for the ashes? Or scatter them?

They need to know "in case"...save them stressing over what they think you might've wanted.

My dad told us cremation .... but completely forgot to tell us what to do with the ashes! We're having to make it up.
  • Mojisola
    Forumite
    My dad told us cremation .... but completely forgot to tell us what to do with the ashes! We're having to make it up.

That's not always a bad thing.

Dad told us the one thing that he definitely didn't want to happen but otherwise left it up to us where his and Mum's ashes were spread.

We kept Mum at home until Dad died and then scattered their ashes together in a place where they loved spending time.

Of course, it could have been difficult if we hadn't been able to agree.

(Mum had always wanted to travel more than she did so we used to joke with her that we would divide her up and send her off to every continent in the world for friends and relatives to scatter!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure