Two new cars needed - advice on savings

Nat84
Nat84 Posts: 5 Forumite
Hi all. I may soon be moving to a new job which will mean I lose my company car and need two new household cars. I'm hoping to get a SEAT Ateca as our family car on a personal lease and then am happy to get a second used car (for my commute). I would potentially do this on a PCP contract. I'm thinking about something like a Renault Clio or VW polo, but am flexible really. I'm finding when I price everything up, including insurance, that I'll probably be spending about £800 all in on cars a month. I'm really hoping to spend less than this so wondering if anyone has any tips on companies to use or different ways in obtaining two cars at the same time efficiently?! Thanks in advance.

Comments

• FreddieFrugal
    FreddieFrugal Posts: 1,750
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Do you definitely need two separate cars?
    Mortgage remaining: £42,260 of £77,000 (2.59% til 03/18 - 2.09% til 03/23)

Savings target June 18 - £22,281.99 / £25,000
  • Nat84
    Nat84 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Sadly yes - nursery run in main car and then commute which isn't possible on train
  • Tiexen
    Tiexen Posts: 721
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Would you get a better deal with 2 x Seats?

or how about the Skoda versions of those cars which should be cheaper in the first place?
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,662
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Does the commuter car need to be new?

You can pick up decent Clios (I'd recommend them, pretty nice wee cars) from about £2k upwards. A newer diesel one and an older petrol one would cover your usage and cost you a fraction of the £800/month budget.

Get a multicar policy for the insurance and it should save you a little bit as well.

If you want to go full MSE, get 2 of the same body style and wheel size, so you can borrow parts from one to keep the other on the road whist it gets repaired.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Nat84 wrote: »
    I'll probably be spending about £800 all in on cars a month. I'm really hoping to spend less than this so wondering if anyone has any tips on companies to use or different ways in obtaining two cars at the same time efficiently?! Thanks in advance.

The best way to do it efficiently? Don't buy on finance and don't buy anything newer than three years old because you pay for the highest annual rates of depreciation in those first three years.

£800 all in on cars in a month on PCP? Christ you could buy cars that would do the job outright in full for that amount and not be spending £10,000 a year paying for the depreciating value of the vehicles.
  • cypher007
    cypher007 Posts: 352
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    ive just bought one of these:

http://www.westgatemotors.co.uk/new-seat-offer/xcellence-toledo-offers-this-summer/

its not a bad family car if you need to lug loads of stuff and this is the top of the range verson for £12k.

dont know if there near you or not. they had some Ibiza FR's also but i think theyre sold now.

just tell them where you saw the link.
  • cypher007 wrote: »
    ive just bought one of these:

http://www.westgatemotors.co.uk/new-seat-offer/xcellence-toledo-offers-this-summer/

its not a bad family car if you need to lug loads of stuff and this is the top of the range verson for £12k.

dont know if there near you or not. they had some Ibiza FR's also but i think theyre sold now.

just tell them where you saw the link.

I'm curious, just exactly what ARE you getting out of all this advertising you are doing for your favourite dealership?
  • khcomp
    khcomp Posts: 207 Forumite
    Nat84 wrote: »
    Hi all. I may soon be moving to a new job which will mean I lose my company car and need two new household cars. I'm hoping to get a SEAT Ateca as our family car on a personal lease and then am happy to get a second used car (for my commute). I would potentially do this on a PCP contract. I'm thinking about something like a Renault Clio or VW polo, but am flexible really. I'm finding when I price everything up, including insurance, that I'll probably be spending about £800 all in on cars a month. I'm really hoping to spend less than this so wondering if anyone has any tips on companies to use or different ways in obtaining two cars at the same time efficiently?! Thanks in advance.

£800 A MONTH on two cars? You've got to be mad!
    My current vehicles include a Suzuki Wagon R (2001, 80,000 miles, bought it for £333 four years ago. Cost £140 this year to insure (was £99 last year). Has required two bulbs & one brake cylinder for last MOT, nothing for the previous two years, but shock horror now needed two tyres & two suspension arms for MOT (£175 all in) and a 2005 Renault Megane diesel. Paid £200 (MOT until December), had to buy a battery (£40) and fix a puncture (£10). It's £30 a year to tax and is currently averaging 61.8mpg.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure