MSE News: Guest comment: Ofgem's plan for a fairer, smarter energy market

Options
Former_MSE_Ben_S
Former_MSE_Ben_S Posts: 39 Forumite
edited 10 July 2017 at 3:35PM in Energy
Ofgem chief executive Dermot Nolan outlines the regulator's view on how to introduce more choice for consumers...
Read the full story:
'Guest comment: Ofgem's plan for a fairer, smarter energy market - while protecting vulnerable consumers'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,860 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 July 2017 at 4:52PM
    Options
    Do they really put idiots like that in charge of things ?

How about actually regulating the market properly as a first step.
    Ofgem’s principal objective is to protect the interests of existing and future consumers
    Very little evidence of that in the majority of their bright ideas recently.

Most things they come up with are to grab tabloid headlines and show that they actually exist whilst hanging on to their high salaries.

An organisation that is not fit for purpose, as is the ombudsman and the whole industry.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Apparently you need smart meters to have such wonders as solar panels, battery storage etc as they are the gateway to such modern miracles.
    Smart meters will act as the gateway for household appliances and services to change how and when people use - and sell - power. Time of use tariffs allow households to save money by using more energy during off-peak times. Smart appliances and battery storage will allow households to manage their demand more flexibly.

And
    It would be a missed opportunity if most smart meters are left untouched gathering dust under the stairs. If consumers instead embrace smart meters and other new technologies, it could save billions of pounds on energy bills.
    The meter does not save any money, it is the individual who reduces their consumption or finds a cheaper price that saves money.
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The problem is not that Ofgem are useless (although they are) it is that Ofgems view of what consumers want is nothing like what consumers actually want. It will always end in tears.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    What I want is a fair price with company I'm with , with out being in the benefit section of society or a senior citizen.

I don't want to have to change company to save money !!

Plus having experienced smart metering over 7 years ago at a company I worked at. Yes it does make you think as a company where you can save money.

But in a domestic setting it really means nothing. I have walked past houses that are lit up like Christmas trees, no doubt by the pushing of low consumption light bulbs which householders calculate because I'm saving electricity I can burn more but not thinking I should be burning less.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So much of that comment was ridiculous.

The so-called "smart" meters they have been rolling out are actually stupid meters. They don't work if you switch suppliers, and they don't actually save you any energy.

However, they do make it easier for the suppliers, who don't have to read your meter. And they have a remote kill-switch, so they can cut you off if you don't pay your bill.

As someone with solar panels, I would really like to be paid the correct amount for all the electricity I generate. But the stupid meter I have been offered hasn't been properly tested. While it can measure exported electricity, you're not allowed to use any readings it gives. :mad:

As for battery storage, it looks like a good idea. Buy a battery, charge it up from your solar panels during the day, and get free electricity at night. There's just one little problem - they are too expensive. If I had bought a battery, then the total value of all the free electricity I would have got from it over the entire life of the battery would have been less than the cost of having the battery installed. I'm saving money by not wasting money on the battery.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ectophile wrote: »
    The so-called "smart" meters they have been rolling out are actually stupid meters. They don't work if you switch suppliers, and they don't actually save you any energy.
    Can only echo this.

Absolute drivel in the guest comment. Come back with something of substance, instead of head in the clouds pontificating, and we might actually take you seriously.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In the past, technology has constrained consumers from interacting in the energy market. In the future, the possibilities from new technologies and innovation will be vast. The extent to which consumers are able or willing to take advantage will be key.

It would be a missed opportunity if most smart meters are left untouched gathering dust under the stairs. If consumers instead embrace smart meters and other new technologies, it could save billions of pounds on energy bills.

Last year, this house used about 8 electricity units per day in summer and 9 a day in winter.

I thought about things around 3 months ago, emptied the old second freezer, and turned off a tube heater in the bottom of the airing cupboard, for the summer.

Now the use is 4 or 5 units a day.

What difference could a smart meter make? Nothing will alter the TV watching hours. The wifi router telephone and central heating control are on all the time, about £5 to £9 a year each. Clocks in microwave and gas cooker might cost a quid a year each. All the lights are low energy tubes or LEDs. Don't want to turn off the fridge-freezer for too long. Charging phones and tablets costs £1 to £2 a year.

Running the washing machine or dishwasher at a well-chosen time is about the only chance to make any difference. Average of 4 or 5 runs a week between them.

I'd be amazed if changing washing hours could save much, but wouldn't really want to run them at 4 am anyway.
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I think a limp trouser sausage is of much more use than Ofgem at the moment. The one thing they're expert at is missing the point for consumers while being best buddies with the suppliers.
  • SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Agree its a load of rubbish, its not always practical to change the times of day when you use electric, for example I can't change my TV watching from evening to daytime as I'm at work during the day. I could put the washing machine on timer to run while I'm at work, but rather not have loads of wet washing sat in the washer all day going musty (and then needing an extra rinse to freshen it up).

The time of day when most people use energy is very difficult to change. People need to be encouraged to monitor and reduce instead. Smart meters don't necessarily need to be an answer to that as its easy to monitor just by reading your meter and tracking your usage.

Maybe they need to look at incentives to buy energy efficient appliances over cheaper less efficient models etc etc.
  • fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    The whole point of the Smart Meter rollout, is the introduction of time of-use-tariffs, and that's the direction the energy market is being steered, in the future? We've seen this from Green Energy UK.

Households will be exposed to varying costs of electricity at different times of the day. The rationale being time-of-use tariffs would give customers greater control over their energy bills and encourage more rationale pricing than flat-rate deals which encourage wasteful usage at peak times.

Time-of-use tariffs are an important part of efforts to make the electricity system more efficient and flexible as Britain phases out coal-fired power in favour of less reliable renewable energy.

Using price signals to deter usage at times of peak demand should ease pressure on generating capacity when supplies are tight, while encouraging consumers to help absorb surplus wind and solar power at off-peak times.

Rather similar to the proposals for our overall shopping experience?
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills