IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

CEL defence

puredestiny
puredestiny Posts: 30 Forumite
edited 15 June 2017 at 6:59PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Just a quick overview of the particulars: The keeper has received a claim form signed Civil Enforcement Ltd (Claimant's legal representative)

The alleged offence was 15th December 2016, at which time the driver had used several services on site and had coffee in Costa, also on site. The driver has receipts to back up the services rendered to the amount of just under £150, if that's relevant.

Having a look through the Google maps street view, there are very visible and large signs on a either side oft the entrance. Although, the signs in the car park are very small and there are only a few scattered around .In fact, I have to look real hard to find any in the main car park. Does this mean I should remove the reference to the signs being being unclear?

The keeper's defence is below, however, I don't know if the keeper should add extra detail about the driver being on site having services rendered. This has really confused me.

Also,the driver has evidence of using the services on site, does the keeper or driver need to provide these? Should the keeper or driver include photos of the lack of signage?

I am ____, the defendant in this matter and registered keeper of vehicle ____. I currently reside at ____.

The Claim Form issued on the 8th March 2017 by Civil Enforcement Limited was not correctly filed under The Practice Direction as it was not signed by a legal person but signed by “The Legal Team”.

I deny I am liable for the entirety of the claim for each and every one of the following reasons:

1/ This case can be distinguished from ParkingEye v Beavis [2015] UKSC 67 (the Beavis case) which was dependent upon an un-denied contract, formed by unusually prominent signage forming a clear offer and which turned on unique facts regarding the location and the interests of the landowner. Strict compliance with the BPA Code of Practice (CoP) was paramount and Mr Beavis was the driver who saw the signs and entered into a contract to pay £85 after exceeding a licence to park free. None of this applies in this material case.

2/ This Claimant has not complied with pre-court protocol:

(a) This is a speculative serial litigant, issuing a large number of identical 'draft particulars'. The covering letter merely contains a supposed PCN number with no contravention nor photographs. The defendant, who is the registered keeper and not identified as the driver at the alleged time.

(b)The initial County Court Claim Form only contains the claimants name, address and amounts of money identified as debt and damages, with a notice that detailed particulars will be provided within 14 days.

(c)The Claim form Particulars were extremely sparse and divulged no cause of action nor sufficient detail. The Defendant has no idea what the claim is about - why the charge arose, what the alleged contract was; nothing that could be considered a fair exchange of information.

It does not detail
1. Proof or confirmation of the driver at the time of the alleged incident.
2. Proof of the vehicle being there at the alleged time.
3. How long or proof that the car was actually parked
4. The vehicle type and colour
5. Why the charge arose

3/ I put the Claimant to strict proof that it issued a compliant notice under Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012. Absent such a notice served within 14 days of the parking event and with fully compliant statutory wording, this Claimant is unable to hold me liable under the strict ‘keeper liability’ provisions.

Henry Greenslade, lead adjudicator of POPLA in 2015 and an eminent barrister and parking law expert stated that “However keeper information is obtained, there is no ‘reasonable presumption’ in law that the registered keeper of a vehicle is the driver. Operators should never suggest anything of the sort.”

Schedule 4 also states that the only sum a keeper can be pursued for (if Schedule 4 is fully complied with, which it was not, and if there was a 'relevant obligation' and relevant contract' fairly and adequately communicated, which there was not as there was no clear, transparent information about how to obtain a permit either inside or outside the site) is the sum on the Notice to Keeper. They cannot pluck another sum from thin air and bolt that on as well when neither the signs, nor the NTK, nor the permit information mentioned a possible £322.89 for outstanding debt and damages.

4/ Inadequate signs incapable of binding the driver - this distinguishes this case from the Beavis case:

(a) Non existent ANPR 'data use' signage - breach of ICO rules and the BPA Code of Practice.

(b) Sporadic and illegible (charge not prominent nor large lettering) site/entrance signage - breach of the POFA 2012 Schedule 4 and the BPA Code of Practice and no contract formed to pay any clearly stated sum.

(c) The signs are believed to have no mention of any debt collection additional charge, which cannot form part of any alleged contract.

(d) It is believed the terms were not transparent or legible; this is an unfair contract, not agreed by the driver and contrary to the UTCCRs (as applicable at the time).

(e) No promise was made by the driver that could constitute consideration because there was no offer known nor accepted. No consideration flowed from the Claimant.

(f) Absent the elements of a contract, there can be no breach of contract.

5/ POFA 2012 breach and the Defendant was not the driver - this distinguishes this case from the Beavis case:

No keeper liability can apply, due to this Claimant's PCN not complying with Schedule 4. The driver has not been evidenced and a registered keeper cannot otherwise be held liable. In cases where a keeper is deemed liable, where compliant documentation was served, the sum pursued cannot exceed the original parking charge, only if adequately drawn to the attention of drivers on any signage.

6/ BPA CoP breaches - this distinguishes this case from the Beavis case:

(a) The signs were not compliant in terms of the font size, lighting or positioning.

(b) The sum pursued exceeds £100.

(c) There is/was no compliant landowner contract.

(d) The charge is not based upon a genuine pre-estimate of loss (a condition at the time).

7/ No standing - this distinguishes this case from the Beavis case:

It is believed Civil Enforcement do not hold a legitimate contract at this car park. As an agent, the Claimant has no legal right to bring such a claim in their name which should be in the name of the landowner.

8/ No legitimate interest - this distinguishes this case from the Beavis case:

This Claimant files serial claims regarding sites where they have lost the contract, known as revenge claims and it believed this is one such case. This is not a legitimate reason to pursue a charge out of proportion with any loss or damages the true landowner could pursue.

9/ The Beavis case confirmed the fact that, if it is a matter of trespass (not breach of any contract), a parking firm has no standing as a non-landowner to pursue even nominal damages.

10/ The claimant has added unrecoverable sums to the original parking charge. It is not credible that £50.00 legal costs were incurred. Nor it is believed that a £40 fee was paid to any debt recovery agency so the Claimant is put to strict proof it has. I deny the Claimant is entitled to any interest whatsoever.

11/ If the court believes there was a contract (which is denied, due to unlit signage) this is just the sort of 'simple financial contract' identified at the Supreme Court as one with an easily quantifiable loss (the tariff) where any sum pursued for breach must still relate to a genuine pre-estimate of loss.

The Defendant denies any liability whatsoever to the Claimant in any matter and asks the Court to note that the Claimant has:

(a) Failed to disclose any cause of action in the Claim Form issued on 08th June 2017.
(b) Failed to provide Particulars of Claim within 14 days of the date of service of the Claim Form, thus making it impossible for the Defendant to prepare any form of defence.

The vague Particulars of Claim disclose no clear cause of action. The court is invited to strike out the claim of its own volition as having no merit and no reasonable prospects of success.

In the alternative, the Defendant is willing for the matter to be decided by POPLA (Parking on Private Land Appeals) which will decide the dispute and limits any further costs to this claimant to £27, with no legal costs. This is the bespoke ADR for BPA members, is available at any time (not just the first 28 days) and has been used to settle private parking court claims on multiple occasions even after proceedings have commenced. POPLA has not been undertaken in this case nor was it mentioned in the recent sparse communications from this Claimant.

The Defendant invites the Court to use its discretion to make such an order, if not striking out this claim.

"I believe the facts contained in this Defence Statement are true."

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    evidence , photos and witness statements come later down the track (read post #2 of the NEWBIES sticky thread, especially the BARGEPOLE posts)

a defence doesnt need any of these at this stage

ALWAYS query signage, because few signs meet the relevant CoP or the laws either
  • puredestiny
    edited 15 June 2017 at 6:26PM
    Okay, that makes sense now. I was a bit confused about that.

Do I need to put an additional paragraph to demonstrate my using the services on site? Or is this also for later?
  • Redx
    the defence appears to be a keeper defence so at this moment in time nothing should be put in about the driver because they have not identified the driver, never mind what the driver may or may not have done

also edit post #1 to only say what THE KEEPER and THE DRIVER may or may not have done

ie:- learn to use 3rd party terms in legal documents etc
  • puredestiny
    Okay, thanks again. Makes sense now.
  • Redx
    thanks for the post #1 edit but some words say keeper and should say driver !! lol
  • puredestiny
    Lol. Clearly I wasn't meant to be a lawyer. I'll readjust.
  • Redx
    yep, thats ok now I think
  • puredestiny
    It was a bit of a guess on some of those, but learning something new. Haha
  • Lamilad
    Lamilad Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Get rid of para 6 (d)
    !If the court believes there was a contract (which is denied, due to unlit signage)
    Is this relevant in your case? Did the parking event​ occur in the hours of darkness?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,420 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 15 June 2017 at 8:50PM
    signed by “The Legal Team”.

Was it? I though the latest ones were signed ''Legal Representative'', in the more recent CEL cases. I suspect you have copied a fairly old one as I haven't seen this in 2017 examples, for the very good reason that it is pointless:
    (d) The charge is not based upon a genuine pre-estimate of loss (a condition at the time).

Search the forum for CEL defence and find a newer one from 2017. But check it for details, e.g. don't copy stuff about fees/tariffs if this was a free car park, and as Lamilad says, don't copy words about unlit signs unless it was dark on arrival.

If this is about an overstay, you should also mention at the start (without implying who was driving) that the car park and shops would have been extremely busy, it being just a few shopping days before Christmas. People would take longer to shop and make decisions, queues at the tills would have been much longer than other times of year, and finding a free parking space (and at the end, queuing to leave) would have been likely to have involved more than just ten minutes.

If it was an overstay of about 20 mins or less, I would also quote the BPA Grace Periods rules (again, easy to seach for).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure