Lindsell Train GE & Fundsmith

Does anybody hold Lindsell Train Global Equity and Fundsmith in the global part of their portfolio?

My brother-in-law holds both and although I mentioned that they hold some of the same funds ie. Unilever, Diageo, Pepsico, Paypal therefore he's doubling up on these holdings, he still feels they are different enough to compliment each other?

I know Lindsell Train has a more diverse geographical spread than Fundsmith ie. US - 33%, UK - 27%, Japan - 23% and Eurozone - 15% - but is this enough to consider holding them both in your global portfolio? I personally don't think so (but I could be totally wrong hence the thread).

Any thoughts or further observations please?

Comments

• TBC15
    TBC15 Posts: 1,446
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    MPN wrote: »
    Does anybody hold Lindsell Train Global Equity and Fundsmith in the global part of their portfolio?

My brother-in-law holds both and although I mentioned that they hold some of the same funds ie. Unilever, Diageo, Pepsico, Paypal therefore he's doubling up on these holdings, he still feels they are different enough to compliment each other?

I know Lindsell Train has a more diverse geographical spread than Fundsmith ie. US - 33%, UK - 27%, Japan - 23% and Eurozone - 15% - but is this enough to consider holding them both in your global portfolio? I personally don't think so (but I could be totally wrong hence the thread).

I’d like to know what other funds your brother in law is invested in.
  • MPN wrote: »

got Lindsell in my General investment account, Fundsmith in my SIPP and scottish mortgage in my ISA
  • MPN
    MPN Posts: 365
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    got Lindsell in my General investment account, Fundsmith in my SIPP and scottish mortgage in my ISA

Well I suppose it will be interesting to see how that spread works over a number of years but they are all good funds imo.
  • StellaN
    StellaN Posts: 354
    Forumite

I also hold Scottish Mortgage IT and Fundsmith as my global funds but do not hold Lindsell Train Global Equity because its too similar to Fundsmith except for the Japanese element of the portfolio.
  • ChesterDog
    ChesterDog Posts: 1,106
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I also hold all three of these, as a split of my total global equity holdings.

It's true that there are overlaps and duplications within, but if all the money was in just one then the allocation to each of the underlying investments would potentially be even greater.

Also, I am a great believer in choosing investments carefully and then leaving them alone for a long, long time. If there is significant overlap now, that may not always be the case.
    I am one of the Dogs of the Index.
  • StellaN
    StellaN Posts: 354
    Forumite
    ChesterDog wrote: »
    I also hold all three of these, as a split of my total global equity holdings.

It's true that there are overlaps and duplications within, but if all the money was in just one then the allocation to each of the underlying investments would potentially be even greater.

Also, I am a great believer in choosing investments carefully and then leaving them alone for a long, long time. If there is significant overlap now, that may not always be the case.

That's an interesting viewpoint and, I must admit, something I had not taken into consideration.

Maybe the OP's brother in law is comfortable to hold both funds for this reason even though the OP did say he personally didn't think he should.
  • MPN
    Forumite
    StellaN wrote: »
    That's an interesting viewpoint and, I must admit, something I had not taken into consideration.

Maybe the OP's brother in law is comfortable to hold both funds for this reason even though the OP did say he personally didn't think he should.

I always thought it is best to concentrate on one fund in each sector so therefore just go for one global fund, however it seems people are happy to hold 2/3 as the posts above imply.

My brother in law tends to hold 2 funds in each geographical section for instance in Europe he holds TR European Growth IT and Henderson European Focus IT.

At the moment I only play with my ISA portfolio but my pension is still with a financial advisor.
  • MonroeM
    MonroeM Posts: 174
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    MPN wrote: »
    I always thought it is best to concentrate on one fund in each sector so therefore just go for one global fund, however it seems people are happy to hold 2/3 as the posts above imply.

My brother in law tends to hold 2 funds in each geographical section for instance in Europe he holds TR European Growth IT and Henderson European Focus IT.

At the moment I only play with my ISA portfolio but my pension is still with a financial advisor.

The European IT's you mentioned are quite high risk compared to OEIC's. Nothing wrong with holding 2 funds in my opinion though, I hold 2 funds for Europe Marlborough Multi Cap and Baillie Gifford European.
  • MPN
    Forumite
    MonroeM wrote: »
    The European IT's you mentioned are quite high risk compared to OEIC's. Nothing wrong with holding 2 funds in my opinion though, I hold 2 funds for Europe Marlborough Multi Cap and Baillie Gifford European.

Not really sure if IT's are any riskier if chosen wisely. I'm quite a fan of IT's so I hold a mixture of them and OEIC's in my ISA portfolio.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    A number of my IT holdings have cross over. Simply a result of buying a particular trust because it's attractive to purchase at the time. With around 25-30 holdings at only one time. The concentration in anyone particular share is a very very low %. Which is neither going to cause a catastrophic loss nor a huge windfall gain.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure