Can you imagine what would happen if NASA used recruitment agencies?

Imagine companies like Boeing, NASA, Pratt and Whitney or Lockheed etc using recruitment agencies to obtain staff.
The International Space Station would have crashed into the Moon, and Curiosity would have ended up submerged in Loch Lomond. Voyager 2 would have ended up lost in the Atacama and the 747 would only have been able to take off backwards, shortly before disintegrating.

Anyway here is how the space shuttle might have turned out were it made by agency workers.

On a more serious note, I find that working directly for employers isn't much better, if at all. Too many businesses treat their workers like !!!!. I've had plenty of temp jobs in the last decade or so. Its a right farce out there!
Sometimes my advice may not be great, but I'm not perfect and I do try my best. Please take this into account.

Comments

• Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,839
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    TyreLever wrote: »
    Imagine companies like Boeing, NASA, Pratt and Whitney or Lockheed etc using recruitment agencies to obtain staff.
    The International Space Station would have crashed into the Moon, and Curiosity would have ended up submerged in Loch Lomond. Voyager 2 would have ended up lost in the Atacama and the 747 would only have been able to take off backwards, shortly before disintegrating.

Anyway here is how the space shuttle might have turned out were it made by agency workers.

On a more serious note, I find that working directly for employers isn't much better, if at all. Too many businesses treat their workers like !!!!. I've had plenty of temp jobs in the last decade or so. Its a right farce out there!

Instead, to spread the government workload around the USA, the boosters were made in small enough sections to be transported long distances by rail, passing through tunnels etc. So they had to fit together with O rings. Look how well that worked out!
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Boeing do use agency workers.

You don't seem to have had much luck OP. Are you sure the problem is solely with the agencies/ employers?
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Instead, to spread the government workload around the USA, the boosters were made in small enough sections to be transported long distances by rail, passing through tunnels etc. So they had to fit together with O rings. Look how well that worked out!

My main customer does that, builds bits in Spain, France, UK and Sweden. Keeps me busy
    IAmWales wrote: »
    Boeing do use agency workers.

You don't seem to have had much luck OP. Are you sure the problem is solely with the agencies/ employers?

:rotfl:
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,452
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

I think thats very harsh on agency workers.

Employers recruit temp staff based on what they are prepared to pay. If they're paying a minimal amount then they're going to get a particularly low level of worker / worker engagement,

Conversely, i work as a contractor and am brought in to do specific pieces of work for organisations - frankly the work wouldnt get done if it was down to the full time employees to engage, take ownership and be bothered, so it cuts both ways.
  • Lol! One of the agencies rung me up the other day and was like "we've seen you been online" .. Bit worrying as my CV isn't publicly available.
    So thinking perhaps these agencies have shifted a gear and now advertise under companies that don't exist.?

Didn't stop to ask about current circumstances only how I'd been matched to a job role that best matches what I'd done more then 2 years ago!!, guess they must have been desperate to fill a position on 24 hours notice.

Yeah 6 months without holiday and missed reviews by the boss I can quite agree employers not much better. Oh well here's hoping they forget my notice term if they forget to pay me my increase due. ;)
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,271
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite

And that's how every Airbus is made. Look how well that works.

RR aeroengines are also built that way.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Takeaway_Addict Posts: 6,538
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

You sure its the employers and not you?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,684
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    They will all use recruitment agencies to find candidates for permanent roles. They will also use agencies to supply contractors for temporary roles. They might use agencies to supply temps in the way that you are thinking of.

None of these mean that their quality processes are any less reliable.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    My current role was via an Agency. Ok, my employer used them purely to find clients (of which I was the lucky one).
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    I have a very unpleasant boss. He make me work long hours, swears at me, and pays me much less than the minimum wage. I also think he is having sex with my girlfriend.

Could I make a claim against him, or should I just find a quiet spot and beat the crap out of him ?

Not sure if it's relevant, but I'm self-employed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure