MSE News: Three to extend 'Feel At Home' offer – but some WILL still pay to use data

Former_MSE_Nick
Former_MSE_Nick Posts: 463
I've been Money Tipped!
Forumite
edited 16 May 2017 at 5:42PM in Mobiles
Mobile firm Three is adding to its list of countries you can use your phone in without paying roaming charges from 15 June. But you'll still face a limit on the amount of your UK data allowance you can use abroad and fees for exceeding that limit – despite the much-touted 'ban' on EU roaming charges coming in next month...
Read the full story:
'Three to extend 'Feel At Home' offer – but some WILL still pay to use data in EU after roaming charges 'ban''
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Kingsd316
    Kingsd316 Posts: 1,394
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Will they be removing the speed caps then? no way you would be able to use 12gb at the current offerings
    :beer:
  • Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 2,420
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Last week in Torrevieja the speed was mostly OK, although occasionally it ground to a standstill. VPNs are still cobbled. I was able to send lots of images to cheese off my friends back home, no problem at all.

I guess in a place with lots of users, any network will struggle. I was near a seaside caravan park one rainy Saturday and the data rate on Three was just a trickle... and that was in the UK a couple of summers ago.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    "Three adds cheap international calls for PAYG users" why does the MSE article state this as news? Three's been doing this for years and China for example has been on the list of 3p/min countries for years.
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Is the data fair usage of 9GB for PAYG monthly or weekly? Although in some places it would be almost impossible to use 9GB in a week!

'Inside the EU: All customers will be able to use their allowance to make calls and send texts to any other EU number when roaming in the region without paying anything extra (currently Feel at Home just lets you call or text UK numbers without paying extra). You'll also be able to use data for free, subject to the fair usage caps of 12GB for pay-monthly and 9GB for PAYG.'
  • Frozen_up_north
    Forumite
    Terry98 wrote: »
    Is the data fair usage of 9GB for PAYG monthly or weekly? Although in some places it would be almost impossible to use 9GB in a week!
    In several areas Three are ambiguous, this is a prime example. I would expect it to be based on a 30 day period, as you previously had to buy an "add on" (valid for 30 days) to use feel at home on PAYG.

I see Three haven't yet changed their SIM only deals, I would have expected them to have updated their site as they should give contract customers 30 days notice of any changes... today is a month away from the 15th June EU roaming changes.
  • agarnett
    agarnett Posts: 1,301 Forumite
    And I see no mention of whether the "no tethering allowed on Feel At Home" is being lifted ... anyone know?

My Three UK contract allows me to use my Personal Hotspot ... in UK. The moment I step outside UK into Feel At Home destinations, I get admonished by a blocking browser message from Three asking me if I am trying to use a Personal Hotspot and if so, to switch it off and desist!
  • Frozen_up_north
    Forumite
    agarnett wrote: »
    And I see no mention of whether the "no tethering allowed on Feel At Home" is being lifted ... anyone know?

My Three UK contract allows me to use my Personal Hotspot ... in UK. The moment I step outside UK into Feel At Home destinations, I get admonished by a blocking browser message from Three asking me if I am trying to use a Personal Hotspot and if so, to switch it off and desist!

It's worth keeping an eye on EE, Vodafone and BT, who I think include tethering while roaming. While I don't specifically need tethering while roaming, I guess linking a satnav via Bluetooth would count as tethering, in which case I'd like it.

BTW, EE's SIM only prices are staggeringly expensive. I hope Three doesn't see it as a reason to increase theirs. I'm out of contract with Three on SIM only, so can ditch and switch with 30 days notice.
  • Frozen_up_north
    Forumite
    Just been onto Three to ask what is happening with EU roaming from 15th June, the agent I spoke with said they didn't know and that their team was working on it! When pushed for the date, initially she said nothing would be announced until 15th June

She went on to say, they would update their web pages in a couple of days... when I was in India, they had an expression of "20 minutes" in response to a question they couldn't answer... maybe 2 days is the Three version?

Three appear to be one of the last networks to update us with EU roaming changes (except for the unofficial comments on this site).
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Three appear to be one of the last networks to update us with EU roaming changes (except for the unofficial comments on this site).
    There seems to have been some movement.

There's another thread on a similar subject. Rather thand double-post, I suggest you check page of 9 of this:
    http://www.three.co.uk/termspdf/PAYG_Price_Guide_080517.pdf
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    And as if by magic, I've just received a text from 3 leading to https://www.threemicrosites.co.uk/euregulation/payg

Note the extension of 'EU' (:)) and possible data charges if exceeding a limit. (:()
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure