Default on credit file

I started a debt consolidation plan at the beginning of 2012. I finally paid off the amount in 2016.

However recently I have been denied a mortgage as a result of my credit report showing that my accounts with my creditors were in default from beginning of 2014 and also that payments were being payed late, even though I payed the same amount every month and never missed a payment to the company I left in charge of paying my creditors.

I have spoken to my creditors briefly over the phone today who have advised me to go to their local branch as to discuss this issue with them, and all being well they well contact the credit bearu and have this default wiped from my file as I was making the payments on time and shoukd be no reason for my payments to them being late.

Should I take any proof I.e bank statements showing that I payed this amount to my consolidation loan with me when I speak to my creditors??

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I would be surprised if they will change anything. Keeping up with a DMP doesn't change the fact that the accounts were in default.

However, the original default should obviously be closer to 2012 and therefore only be a year or so from removal.
  • Ph89
    Ph89 Posts: 6 Forumite
    I would be surprised if they will change anything. Keeping up with a DMP doesn't change the fact that the accounts were in default.

However, the original default should obviously be closer to 2012 and therefore only be a year or so from removal.

I had three accounts with the creditor and one of them the payments were made no problem however the other two accounts were always being paid late which is the main issue and didn't default until April of 2014.

I will go and see what they have to say about it anyway
  • cj1974cr
    cj1974cr Posts: 27 Forumite
    edited 15 April 2017 at 11:17PM
    The issue is , you enter into a debt manamgent plan (made an arrangement to repay) a different amount to what was originally agreed, even If they agreed this.

This would have impact on your credit history, the only get out possibly - did any of the letters sent about your arrangement warn you about any impact on your Credit Histoty - if it doesn't there is an argument to have this data corrected, and most lenders record calls so if wasn't discussed, you could ask for ARREARS and Deafult data to be removed
  • Ph89
    I was advised it would affect it negatively as it was a DMP but also told it would show a positive aslong as I kept up with my payments, which I did and there is no mention of.this on my file.

I don't have any paperwork regarding this as it was lost in moving home but I remember the phonecall with the advisor which has me wondering.

Also confused by the fact I was paying off 3 accounts and it is only 2 of them which have defaulted and the other one shows payments made on time and upto date
  • Ph89
    Also I was paying off another creditor separate to these 3 accounts through my DMP and that never defaulted either.
  • Ph89
    After speaking to my creditors today they have agreed to remove the default from credit file
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Ph89 wrote: »
    After speaking to my creditors today they have agreed to remove the default from credit file

What about the monthly markers ?
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    What about the monthly markers ?
    Watch them change it to AR markers, which will mean the OP will have a bad credit history for 6 years after the debt is settled, a worse outcome than backdating the defaults.

I hope that wont be the case but unless if the debts were wiped completely, something nasty is likely to remain.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • Ph89
    The markers will change to AR as I was on a DMP, the debt was cleared 2 years ago
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Ph89 wrote: »
    The markers will change to AR as I was on a DMP, the debt was cleared 2 years ago

Oh god.

You would have been better off asking for the defaults to be backdated, alas.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure