Support Group/Condition improving

Hello, I wrote here back in November regarding the improvement of my condition. Basically, I was awarded the Support Group without a face to face assessment. My Clinical Psychologist sent a couple of letters to them before my award. My condition has improved since then, I am able to do things I couldn't do before the assessment. Not quite 100%, but getting there.

My question is, do I inform them of this? I've been looking online and can't seem to find an answer. I don't want to the whole process of waiting/going to an assessment to start up again because it was very stressful the last around but I also don't want to be on the wrong side of the DWP.

Thank you for your time :)

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,326
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    You really need to have a conversation with your doctor and the clinical psychologist about this. Although you are improving, could attempting to get back into work too quickly still have a detrimental effect on your wellbeing?
    You can voluntarily attend sessions designed to get you back to work when in the Support Group, and that may be the better way forward.
  • I always thought the support group was paid for life and that you're condition would not improve what's why people get place in that
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,815
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I always thought the support group was paid for life and that you're condition would not improve what's why people get place in that
    Sorry you're wrong on this. It may sometime in the future for those with certain conditions but for now it's certainly not for life.
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,208
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    By virtue that you believe you have improved, this is classed as a change in circumstances, as such you need to notify this change to the DWP to ensure you are still eligible for the support group.
  • Tommo1980
    Tommo1980 Posts: 406 Forumite
    As TELLIT01 said, you should do so under the advisement of your DR.

Mental health conditions fluctuate over time. It is a good idea to have the unbiased view of a professional as to how significantly you have improved, before making decisions that could seriously impact your life.

Tom
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,944
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    its more than being visually impaired, as visual field is the main criteria for impairment.
    you can have no peripheral sight at all but have perfect central vision.

entry into the support group is ( using all applicable aids)
    cannot read 16 point print and cannot read braille.

i agree with the sentiment though as braille readers aren't in high demand
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,711
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I always thought the support group was paid for life and that you're condition would not improve what's why people get place in that
    Unfortunately that may be the tabloid headline and government claim.. but the two groups for ESA do not determine whether you have a condition that will or will not improve... the only exception is probably in cases of terminal illness. The claim that WRAG is for those who eventually will return to work (or similar) is also technically baseless but commonly made out there in media.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,944
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    i don't mind the term blind personally but i know others can be a bit precious about it ;)

the terminology is
    sight impaired + partially sighted
    severely sight impaired + blind.

but that in itself is a minefield, as being registered blind doesn't mean without sight, but usually means complete loss of visual field ( peripheral vision) and very limited central vision.

i met the criteria for 'blind' in 1996, uet at the time i thought i could see fairly well ;)
    its only in the last 4 or 5 years that i haven't been able to see enough to read or recognise faces.
    i do have some sight but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense
  • What makes this complicated is that I didn't have an assessment (or fill in a ESA50 form, I was too ill to even do it then) so all the DWP has regarding my condition are the letters sent by my Clinical Psychologist. Reading other posts on this forum, I realise that I am incredibly fortunate.

Penitent - Yes, that's the case. I'm not quite ready yet but what I don't want to happen is be accused of something like fraud because of the improvements I've made since that last letter was sent to the DWP. Perhaps I'm being paranoid but watching those shows on Benefit Fraud does not help, that's what spurred this question.

I'm going to have to think about this and make a decision. Thank you for the responses.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure