Sofa in front of unused fire

Hi can anyone advise I have a broken back boiler behind a very ugly gas fire front can't afford a replacement at the moment I don't fit the criteria for a free boiler or have it fixed. The fire doesn't work either it's not been capped off but it's definitely caput. Could I put a sofa in front of it? The room is a long shape and the sofa would look better on the wall in front of the unused fire. I hope that is clear thanks.
”Pour yourself a drink, (tea for me now)
Put on some lipstick
and pull yourself together”
- Elizabeth Taylor

Comments

• Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I don't see why not. Obviously if the fire was being used, it'd be a different matter, but if it's not switched on then what are you worried about ?

As a belt 'n' braces measure, switch off the gas supply to the fire - there should be a little tap in the pipework leading to the fire. But I don't really understand your concern ?
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,879
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I would recommend getting the fire properly decommissioned anyway. Besides the sofa question, there's the question of how safe a broken appliance with a live gas feed is.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,421
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    jinny wrote: »
    Hi can anyone advise I have a broken back boiler behind a very ugly gas fire front

Baxi Bermuda by any chance ?

If so, there will be a small tap located at the bottom right hand side of the back boiler - The tap should be accompanied by a diagram to show which way to position it so that the gas is turned off, supplies the boiler only, or both fire & boiler.

P.S. The Baxi Bermuda was very common and spares are still obtainable - The heat exchanger is the expensive part, but refurbished units sometimes turn up on ebay.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • jinny
    jinny Posts: 1,889
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 16 March 2017 at 11:50AM
    Thanks so much for quick replies
    It's is a housewarmer electronic back boiler
    With epic 2 gas fire
    I had a gas fitter tell me I don't have enough
    Ventilation in living room so was unable to fix the valve
    I would need special vents installed in the outside wall
    This is due to recent regulations. So I just kept the boiler off and the fire isn't used no pilot light is lit. I use an electric shower to wash and boil kettles for dishes I use a relatives washing machine to do laundry.
    I have a convection heater in the living room but thankfully not so much in the recent mild weather. I live in a block of flats so added ventilation would be akward I assume. Sorry I sound quite depressing but I'm ok and fine with the set up at the moment. Things can only get better as the song goes. :)
    Put on some lipstick
    - Elizabeth Taylor
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,421
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Here you go, page 14 & 15 show the location of the gas valve - http://acwilgar.co.uk/Boiler-Manual-PDF/Potterton/POTTERTON%20HOUSEWARMER%2045,55.pdf

Like you, I also have a back boiler (Baxi), and ventilation is inadequate - Have an undersized air brick, but it lets in a howling gale and makes the room bloomin' cold.... (the fix I'll keep quiet about).

With a carbon monoxide alarm fitted (that is CO, not CO2), the back boiler is fired up as and when needed for hot water.

Fitting a suitable vent is problematic, as I guess it is a leasehold property - Fitting a condensing boiler is going to have the same issues if leaseholder permission is required.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • jinny
    jinny Posts: 1,889
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks for replies
    Yes it's a council leasehold but private flat.
    Fitter says the flue is ok but vents need to be fitted on wall opposite next to window this is a new regulation
    I have a carbon monoxide detector in the room
    I will take a look at the link thanks
    Put on some lipstick
    - Elizabeth Taylor
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills