Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • fermi
    • By fermi 7th Apr 16, 6:22 PM
    • 39,322 Posts
    • 47,143 Thanks
    fermi
    • 7th Apr 16, 6:22 PM
    • 7th Apr 16, 6:22 PM
    Will update more when have got to grips with the new online BR petitioning, and the IS have stopped moving their guides around as much.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Bankruptcy, Credit Cards and Loans boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
    • Chris026
    • By Chris026 7th Feb 17, 2:15 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Chris026
    • 7th Feb 17, 2:15 PM
    • 7th Feb 17, 2:15 PM
    Can I go bankrupt?
    Basically I have been really struggling with debt since being left with it all from my first divorce
    Stupidly got married again and bought a guest house in joint names, she won the guest house in the divorce and I got all the associated debts apart from the mortgage.
    I think bankruptcy is the best option for me as I am unemployed and 6 months behind on most payments.
    My ex has been ordered to pay about 5 grand when I sign over the ownership of the hotel but I would have to stay on the mortgage till october so would still be eligible if she missed payments, which is obviously very risky for me
    Could I file for bankruptcy now or could I hold off my debt collectors for another 8 months and go bankrupt once I have the money and the property is signed over to her?
    I'm just thinking the complications come in when I need to go bankrupt but I'm still on a mortgage even though it has been awarded to someone else
    • Lightway12
    • By Lightway12 2nd Mar 17, 9:31 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Lightway12
    • 2nd Mar 17, 9:31 AM
    • 2nd Mar 17, 9:31 AM
    Hey Chris!

It sounds very unfair, I must say! Perhaps reading the advices from the government can give you some answers, try visiting moneyadviceservice.org.uk and their article with the name Best ways to pay off your debts – England and Wales.

I am not allowed to post links in here, put if you use Google, I am sure you can find the article.

Best of luck!
    Last edited by Lightway12; 02-03-2017 at 9:33 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,272Posts Today

5,562Users online

Martin's Twitter