MSE News: Amazon unveils new rewards credit card

Options
Amazon has rolled out a rewards credit card that allows cardholders to earn points that can be redeemed for gift cards...
Read the full story:
'Amazon unveils new rewards credit card'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't withdraw cash - you don't get cashback, you pay interest and it can hurt credit scores.

I need proof that the above statement is true. As I posted in several other threads, it does not make sense that CC Lenders should provide that functionality and then penalise cardholders for using it. Or is it just perpetuation of a popular MSE fallacy?

Overall, the new Amazon card is prohibitive due to its 24.9% APR.
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,630 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    I need proof that the above statement is true. As I posted in several other threads, it does not make sense that CC Lenders should provide that functionality and then penalise cardholders for using it. Or is it just perpetuation of a popular MSE fallacy?

Not to mention is it advocated for Halifax Clarity cardholders when abroad due to no withdrawal fees and a near perfect exchange rate.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    And the recently introduced Amazon credit card in the US?

"About 5% Back on Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

With the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card, Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Cardholders who are also eligible Prime members receive 5% Back on purchases."

Nothing like that in the UK for Prime members - this card looks a very poor relation to that one!
  • myth123
    myth123 Posts: 386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

When I've been to presentations from Experian (staff training, riveting I know), they have said that regular use of credit cards to withdraw cash will affect credit scoring.

But the odd time doing it (say, abroad to get cash - they used the example of a credit card abroad with favourable rates) won't usually affect it.

I know this isn't evidence on my part, but I guess MSE may have some guidance from the credit reference agencies?
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    myth123 wrote: »
    When I've been to presentations from Experian (staff training, riveting I know), they have said that regular use of credit cards to withdraw cash will affect credit scoring.

But the odd time doing it (say, abroad to get cash - they used the example of a credit card abroad with favourable rates) won't usually affect it.

I know this isn't evidence on my part, but I guess MSE may have some guidance from the credit reference agencies?

Guidance from the cras will probably be to sign up for their paid for monthly service no doubt.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Why would you withdraw cash on a credit card, domestically speaking?
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    myth123 wrote: »

The main thing lenders care about is stability and signs that you're not a poor risk. Someone who gets a cash advance once is probably on holiday. Someone who has cash advances on their account more than a few months in a year is probably bad with money.

The cost of cash advances is huge relative to other forms of cash borrowing (bar Wonga etc) so the inference is that if you're doing it repeatedly then you're desperate for cash and can't get any from anywhere else.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So why is the table in the article headed 'Top travel credit cards that charge no fees on purchases'? How does travel come into it?

I assume that's just a cockup.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Biggles wrote: »
    So why is the table in the article headed 'Top travel credit cards that charge no fees on purchases'? How does travel come into it?
    Clearly it doesn't. No response on here but they've quietly changed the article.
  • napu2400
    napu2400 Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Does anyone want to talk about the Amazon card? Is it worth getting it and using for Amazon purchases? I don't care about the APR since I would pay it off in full each month, but Amazon already takes Amex so is this any better?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure