Cooking for one

caronc
caronc Posts: 8,049
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
Forumite
edited 17 July 2017 at 5:56PM in Old style MoneySaving
****There is now a new thread "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" which can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5680849

Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply! [purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hi have you ever heard of Shirley Goode ? She wrote 3 books and also co- wrote another back in the eighties . I still own all the originals because I can't bear to let them go . Goode for one may be very useful for you . She scales down cooking and baking ingredients to one or two portions and shows some variations on one ste of ingredients cooked in different ways to avoid eating the same thing day after day .
    There are recipes for if you have company for tea .
    It is all done to a tight budget .
    Sadly Shirley died last year but she left a legacy for generations and her books helped me raise my children through tough times back then .
    Just checked Amazon and there are copies from sellers on there for pennies plus postage .
    Good luck
    polly :)
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • caronc
    Forumite
    Hi have you ever heard of Shirley Goode ? She wrote 3 books and also co- wrote another back in the eighties . I still own all the originals because I can't bear to let them go . Goode for one may be very useful for you . She scales down cooking and baking ingredients to one or two portions and shows some variations on one ste of ingredients cooked in different ways to avoid eating the same thing day after day .
    There are recipes for if you have company for tea .
    It is all done to a tight budget .
    Sadly Shirley died last year but she left a legacy for generations and her books helped me raise my children through tough times back then .
    Just checked Amazon and there are copies from sellers on there for pennies plus postage .
    Good luck
    polly :)
    Thanks have heard of Shirley Goode but don't have any of her books (surprising as I'm a bit of a cookbook collector :) will have a look on Amazon
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I'll be watching this thread closely.

I have always cooked for a largish family and friends and can produce a two-course meal for 70 without turning a hair but I am hopeful this year of moving into a bungalow on my own so have to learn to scale down considerably.
    I think that the freezer is going to be my best friend.

I have 2 Shirley Goode books but not the Cooking for One. I remember her on TV in the 70s.
    Delia did a One is Fun book too. I might try to track down one of those. Apart from that it will be cooking the usual amounts and freezing in portions.

My real problem is going to be just not bothering and living on soup. salads and sandwiches.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • caronc
    Forumite
    monnagran wrote: »
    I'll be watching this thread closely.

I have always cooked for a largish family and friends and can produce a two-course meal for 70 without turning a hair but I am hopeful this year of moving into a bungalow on my own so have to learn to scale down considerably.
    I think that the freezer is going to be my best friend.

I have 2 Shirley Goode books but not the Cooking for One. I remember her on TV in the 70s.
    Delia did a One is Fun book too. I might try to track down one of those. Apart from that it will be cooking the usual amounts and freezing in portions.

My real problem is going to be just not bothering and living on soup. salads and sandwiches.

x
    I love my freezers (probably a bit too much)- though having 2 is probably a bit excessive for 1 person but do want to still have my favourite casseroles, currys etc, which work best as multiple portions. The thing I struggle with is fresh veg such as cabbage, I love savoy cabbage but find it doesn't freeze great so end up eating it with every main meal if I buy one
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    caronc wrote: »
    I love my freezers (probably a bit too much)- though having 2 is probably a bit excessive for 1 person but do want to still have my favourite casseroles, currys etc, which work best as multiple portions. The thing I struggle with is fresh veg such as cabbage, I love savoy cabbage but find it doesn't freeze great so end up eating it with every main meal if I buy one

I know. I love cucumber but there is only so much you can use at one time. Even buying a half is often too much.
    I love Savoy cabbage too.
    Perhaps we could take it in turns to buy a cabbage and then post half of it to each other!

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    edited 14 January 2017 at 3:05PM
    I cook for one (i dont count my son as he eats different meals) It is difficult, too easy to get ready meals as they dont work out that expensive when just buying for one.

I need to get back on track and focus on cooking properly again.

I know what you mean about the veg I only buy fresh veg that you can buy small amounts of like carrots/courgettes etc. Any other veg I buy frozen as no waste and I dont have to eat the same thing every night.

I like the sound of the book which lists one set of ingredients and different variations of meals, does anyone know which out of the three that is?

I love the sound of two freezers you can never have too many as far as I am concerned! Mine is only tiny by the time I have my veg in there (why do they sell it in so big bags :mad:) I dont have the space for much else :(
  • caronc
    Forumite
    Glad I'm not the only one with the fresh veg challenge - I do use a fair bit of frozen veg but not keen on frozen cabbage so just tend to have spells where I eat lots of it. The freezers are a god send in many ways I can still take advantage of family pack offers and like to get a butchers order from time to time so maybe having two isn't so silly after all
  • Mum to one the book is Goode for one by Shirley Goode . It's pretty dated in some ways , the cost of ingredients seem so little compared to now but when I remember what earnings were back then it's all of it's time .
    I'm not a fan of savoy cabbage - my 50s childhood with the family allotments was top heavy with certain veg and left me so over some of them .:D I find white cabbage very useful , I love it steamed and served with butter and white pepper . It lasts well in the fridge and can be used in coleslaw and many other dishes . I've seen it frozen in supermarkets but have never looked for savoy .
    Spring cabbage is my favourite . Obviously no use to the original poster who shops on line but my local veg shop and lots of others sell spring cabbage loose so you buy what you need .
    I think frozen veg is very useful when mainly catering for one . Chosen wisely the quality can be higher than fresh in supermarkets . There is no waste as you use the amount you need .
    As OP is restricted by ill health any shortcuts which can be used within her budget are the way to go .

Monna There is no way we'll let you fade away on soup and sandwiches - you've fed the world with love and we'll make darn sure you do the same for yourself . The bungalow vibes are aimed in your direction :)
    polly x

• meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    caronc wrote: »
    Thanks have heard of Shirley Goode but don't have any of her books (surprising as I'm a bit of a cookbook collector :) will have a look on Amazon

There are some listed on Ebay, I have just bought one for £2.10 including postage, cheaper than Amazon as there is a standard charge of 2,98 postage.
    Slimming World at target
  • I've been thinking as I've been doing a bit of the dreaded housework . Some on the forums may remember Memory Girl - Elaine Collier who used to post on the forums .
    She had a blog , Mortgage free in three . I've just checked and although as I knew she stopped about a year ago when real life became became very busy , all her posts are still online if you google the title .
    She is a mum of two growing lads so a lot was cooking for three but one of the most useful things I read there was My secret box of soup .
    Prepping and freezing veg ready to throw into meals . No blanching involved . Adding the last few veg in the fridge on an ongoing basis so no waste and ready chopped veg always to hand for quick soups , stews and other meals .
    For those with a gadget which slices , dices and shreds it takes all the physical graft out of constantly doing the prep for meals .
    I've recommended her blog many times on forum and real life and many of my shortcuts came from there .
    There's an explore at the top of the blog you can click on recipes , make do and mend and other sections . There are quick scarves , hats , blankets , christmas decorations etc to craft . Home decor on next to nothing and also veg growing and motivational posts which used to get us all doing - I miss her gentle kick up the backside :D She was doing everything on the tightest budget and it helped me a great deal .
    Sorry to the original poster for slightly derailing her thread but when you face a new challenge little tips and shortcuts can smooth the path .
    Take care all
    polly

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport