Student and household help please

Apologies in advance if this is on the wrong board!

Good morning.

My name is Aaron and I am 26 from East Manchester and I currently rent a home with my partner who is 20.

I have a child with a previous partner and I have my son every weekend. I pay child maintenance and have done since day one.

Me and my partner both work full time and are rather comfortable in our current situation.

My partner and I both work in healthcare and wish to do our Nursing. My partner has obtained a place at university where as I am awaiting a response.

We have both applied for student loans through Finance England and mine has come back with a reasonable amount but as my partner is under 25 they still take into consideration her parents household income, which is ridiculous to say, very unfortunate. Due to this my partners loan is very low compared to mine and we would struggle to make ends meet if we were to rely on this two sources of income alone.

We both intend to do hospital bank shifts as overtime but we do not want to rely on these shifts in advance as they are not necessarily guaranteed.

My sons mother claims child tax credits among other benefits (We are still on good terms and she is in the process of telling me exactly what she receives) so I doubt that I would be eligible to claim any help in regards to my son.

I am posting this morning to see if there is anyone who could recommend any other sources of financial aid we could be eligible to receive.

Like I said we both work full time and have no intentions of abusing any systems and I find it ridiculous that my partners parents household income is taken into account considering they have never attributed to paying any of our bills. I understand that the government would like them to help pay towards their daughters higher education but what we are applying for through Finance England is a loan which we intend to pay back so I fail to see what difference it makes to them of the amount we intend to borrow.

Again, if anyone could point us in the right direction or offer any advice for us it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Aaron.

Comments

• missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you're also accepted for a place on a nursing degree, might it not make more sense for your girlfriend to wait a year (I assume only a year because of her age) so that she can achieve independent status?

Not only would that give you a higher income while you're both students but it would reduce that period from 3 years to 2.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Marry your partner and then she can be considered as an independent student and your income rather than her parents' would be taken into account. I'd agree it's drastic and probably the wrong reason to get married.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you're also accepted for a place on a nursing degree, might it not make more sense for your girlfriend to wait a year (I assume only a year because of her age) so that she can achieve independent status?

Not only would that give you a higher income while you're both students but it would reduce that period from 3 years to 2.

I don't think so, independence is at 25 and the OP's partner would only be 21. Three years independent living would be quicker.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I don't think so, independence is at 25 and the OP's partner would only be 21. Three years independent living would be quicker.

I was assuming that, at 20, the GF had already been supporting herself for 2 years, hence my suggestion that another year would give her the 3 years needed for independence.
  • AzzA101
    AzzA101 Posts: 21
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thank you all for the quick replies!!

The reason we both wish to crack on with our Degree this year is because the NHS bursary stops in April so we need to get onto the course but that ends to ensure that we get funding for our first year.

Although I most definitely do intend to marry my partner in the future I really do not want to at the moment as we need to be careful with our funds and we want to wait until we are qualified so I can give her the wedding she deserves.

On the Gov and Finance England website it is irrelevant of most circumstances (marriage being one of them) that they take into account the parents household income for those who are under 25.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,869
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If you are under 25 you can be an estranged student if you have been self supporting for 36 months or married or in a civl partnership.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance
  • AzzA101
    Forumite
    I showed this thread to my partner and she has the idea of marriage in her head now!! Haha thanks everyone :p

So yesterday we both went to our local Citizens Advice and waited three and a half hours only to be told that we were best going to the housing benefits people around the corner!! All was not in vain though as I am going back on Friday so they can do a benefits check for us both which they then can adjust to see if we can claim anything when our circumstances change in the future.

While we were there I asked if I would be entitled to anything in relation to my son only to be told that he is not dependent on me even though I pay child maintenance which I found rather shocking!

Hopefully we will get some good news on Friday :D
  • AzzA101
    Forumite
    My partner managed to get down today to discuss the benefits check and she phoned me earlier to tell me that we are not entitled to a bean. She was a bit upset and it's gotten to me aswell.

Looks like we shall be looking into the marriage option. The things you have to do.
  • Jackieboy
    Jackieboy Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    sheramber wrote: »
    If you are under 25 you can be an estranged student if you have been self supporting for 36 months or married or in a civl partnership.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance

Being estranged is a separate category from being independent, with different criteria.
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,817
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Most Universities have a Hardship Fund which is not used by most students. If you time it right, and are savvy with the comings and goings on your main bank account, you can use this to your advantage. I know I did. I had to fund my own 1 year MA, the hardship fund was a total godsend. The best thing about it is, if it has a surplus, they get a reduced amount for the next term, so if you apply for assistance toward the end of the term, they will be more generous than if you applied straight at the start of term. So, when you do get accepted onto the course, check out the hardship fund - it is a discretionary payment, not a loan. (and have more than one bank account)
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport