Balance Transfer: How Quick?

Anyone have experience of Opening and Balance Transferring to Tesco Credit Card?

I've got a balance of approx £1600 to transfer from Nationwide. Can I complete this before 10th Oct when the payment is due?

Comments

• redux
    redux Posts: 22,976
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I don't know, but by coincidence I'm interested in the answer.

I phoned yesterday, and was told the card would take 5 to 8 working days to arrive, and then a balance transfer would take up to 3 working days.

Logged in to the account, some details appeared yesterday, including the last 4 digits of the card number and there is a facility to apply online yourself for a transfer, but this isn't yet active.

I was told that balance transfer can be applied for in the same call you make to validate the card. But if it gets close, I will phone and ask whether they can process transfers slightly ahead of me receiving the card. I don't foresee what the answer would be.
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,777
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Going to apply tonight. 17 days hopefully long enough. I'll be back with updates.
  • It might be worth ensuring you at leat pay your minimum payment this month early if you don't pay it via direct debit just to be sure
  • TheShape
    Forumite
    daniel86 wrote: »
    It might be worth ensuring you at leat pay your minimum payment this month early if you don't pay it via direct debit just to be sure

My Payment is always made in full. This card is effectively for some stoozing as I'm currently opening lots of Current Accounts/Regular Savers and this will preserve approx £1600 which can go into savings rather than paying off the card.
  • TheShape
    Forumite
    Application done and accepted. Wanted a credit limit of £1600+, been given £6800.

Online application allowed me to enter details for card to transfer from as part of the application process. Hopefully that speeds things up.

Also, topcashback has offers for Tesco Credit Card applications. This application was for the 0% Balance Transfer Fee 0% Interest for 24 months card with £30.30 cashback.
  • redux
    Forumite
    From the online balance transfer application page:
    You can normally transfer up to 95% of your available credit from another card you hold in your own name. If we approve your request before 5pm on a business day, we'll transfer the money from your Tesco Bank credit card and send it on the same business day, otherwise, we'll send it on the next business day. The payment will reach the other card provider by close of business on the first business day after we send your payment.

You can only transfer a balance if you have already activated your card
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    TheShape wrote: »
    My Payment is always made in full. This card is effectively for some stoozing as I'm currently opening lots of Current Accounts/Regular Savers and this will preserve approx £1600 which can go into savings rather than paying off the card.

Yes, but if the is a delay you don't want a missed or late payment market on your credit file which is why you should ensure the minimum is at least paid.
  • TheShape
    Forumite
    bigadaj wrote: »
    Yes, but if the is a delay you don't want a missed or late payment market on your credit file which is why you should ensure the minimum is at least paid.

Indeed. What I should have said is that the full amount is always paid by direct debit so payment will be made in the event that the balance transfer doesn't complete.

Will pay the minimum amount by direct debit for the new card each month (while 0% interest).
  • TheShape
    Forumite
    Update:

My card is now showing on Tesco Internet Banking.

I can see the credit limit and the available credit shows as the credit limit minus the amount I have requested to balance transfer.

I've been able to request the setting up of a DD for minimum payment and set up text alerts on the account.

The DD did default to one of my Tesco current accounts so if anyone has the same make sure you change the details if you wish to pay from another account.

Everything moving nice and quickly.
  • redux
    Forumite
    TheShape wrote: »
    Indeed. What I should have said is that the full amount is always paid by direct debit so payment will be made in the event that the balance transfer doesn't complete.

Will pay the minimum amount by direct debit for the new card each month (while 0% interest).

Just check how it works. Some card direct debits will collect the full defined payment (either minimum or all) from the previous statement even if there has meanwhile been another part payment sent manually or by standing order.

From some posts here, maybe Tesco does this.

And if there is to be any spending on the card, then at least cover this, else that part will incur interest.

I intend to spend a modest amount a month (£25 to £50) and pay manually by faster payments.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure