PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Under Construction

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,775
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Houses can be better than the crud being churned out by mass developers. And far better houses are built, but not by mass developers. Until building regs are strengthened yet again, people will continue to be sold inferior product.

We all deserve better than that, they hold us all back, but it's all about the money.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    But won't Developer's build what the market demands?
    The developers' "market" demands bling, bedrooms, and bull. Propped up with some government financial incentives. The "market" really isn't any more discerning than that...
  • I know Developers are in it for the money but perhaps we have reached a point at which their continued profit has to be better married with the impending crisis. Our population is growing; and the homes being built are often quickly out-grown by the occupants; they need more in-built flexibility so that families can adapt them as their family grows rather than going through the expense of moving (which they can ill-afford).

We are also on the cusp on a huge house building programme and with an eye on one of our only remaining manufacturing industries, steel production, the Government might take the initiative: build houses that are future-proofed and keeping steel makers in a job.

We talk enough of the housing crisis on this forum and no-one can be happy that thousands of people could be out of work if Port Talbot folds.

I suppose it's a post-Brexit idea. It may an idea full of holes but are we being more negative than the Remain campaign? :embarasse
    Mornië utulië
  • Port talbot isn't anywhere near close to folding, trust me on that. They are operationally profitable once again.
  • Port talbot isn't anywhere near close to folding, trust me on that. They are operationally profitable once again.

Great! Thank you. :T
    Mornië utulië
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,543
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Some years ago there were some modular timber built homes which were constructed so that the internal partitions could be unbolted and moved. Although built in Britain I think the designer/architect was from Scandinavia. The idea obviously never caught on.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    It's an interesting idea, and it does have some merit. But the only way it would happen is if:

a) It was mandated for new builds (backed up be legislation/building regs); and

b) The scheme was subsidised
  • Lord_Baltimore
    Lord_Baltimore Posts: 1,348 Forumite
    edited 22 September 2016 at 3:13PM
    Some years ago there were some modular timber built homes which were constructed so that the internal partitions could be unbolted and moved. Although built in Britain I think the designer/architect was from Scandinavia. The idea obviously never caught on.

British homebuyers are used to buying property that is substantial, which is why a good deal of our housing stock is over a hundred years old and has survived 2 world wars. But this kind of building is no longer tenable or necessary. Current day design focuses more on heat efficient living space but with less substantial construction materials (although I think steel will last long enough!).

Modular timber is used to construct huf houses which I think are catching on so the principle of a different kind of home may be becoming more acceptable.
    bod1467 wrote: »
    It's an interesting idea, and it does have some merit. But the only way it would happen is if:

a) It was mandated for new builds (backed up be legislation/building regs); and

b) The scheme was subsidised

Precisely. It would need to be a Government initiative killing two birds with one stone: easily constructed but flexible living space for the increasing demand and business for our steel industry.
    Mornië utulië
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    British homebuyers are used to buying property that is substantial, which is why a good deal of our housing stock is over a hundred years old and has survived 2 world wars. - I suspect new builds wont last anywhere near as long before requires substantial investment. But this kind of building is no longer tenable or necessary. Current day design focuses more on heat efficient living space but with less substantial construction materials (although I think steel will last long enough!). - Modern designs place profit above all else.

Modular timber is used to construct huf houses which I think are catching on so the principle of a different kind of home may be becoming more acceptable. - I think people would be happy to buy that type of property, however for developers it's much more of a head ache.

Precisely. It would need to be a Government initiative killing two birds with one stone: easily constructed but flexible living space for the increasing demand and business for our steel industry.

Can I ask, what's the purpose of your question? Are you looking for investment opportunity?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    British homebuyers are used to buying property that is substantial, which is why a good deal of our housing stock is over a hundred years old and has survived 2 world wars. But this kind of building is no longer tenable or necessary. Current day design focuses more on heat efficient living space but with less substantial construction materials (although I think steel will last long enough!).

Trouble is, the words "non-standard construction" have become inextricably linked with "unmortgageable, unsellable trouble" in a lot of the population's minds.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure