Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vkharch
    • By vkharch 4th Apr 16, 12:15 PM
    • 36Posts
    • 4Thanks
    vkharch
    Spear phishing scam?
    • 4th Apr 16, 12:15 PM
    Spear phishing scam? 4th Apr 16 at 12:15 PM
    Hi,

I've just receive 2 suspicious emails one in my gmail Inbox another into Spam folder with similar message quoting my full name and previous address.

Dear [My Name],

Regarding the amount due 1940.89 GBP, we act on behalf of Airnesco Group in order to collect the outstanding account value of your debt.

We would like to remind you that the amount above was due for payment on 23.03.16 but as no payment has been received, your invoice is now considered as overdue. Please find a printable version of your invoice at the following link:
    http://www.littlebigdev.net/index.php?e=n-7a820__________ [amended]

Original invoice will be sent out to:
    [My correct name and previous address]

In order to avoid further costs, please forward the payment to us and transfer the amount due not later than 10.04.16

Yours truly,
    Peter Richardson

The email was send from Peter Richardson @stuart-bathurst.org.uk which is high school domain.
    Airnesco Group is manufacturer of a compressed air operated products which I've never heard of or dealt with.

The second email differ only in sender's email, company name and amount. The rest of the wording is the same.

Does anyone come across similar communication as of today there were few post with similar message on www.avforums.com
Page 1
    • welg
    • By welg 4th Apr 16, 12:25 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    welg
    • 4th Apr 16, 12:25 PM
    • 4th Apr 16, 12:25 PM
    Just got, with my correct right name and postal address

[I][B]

Regarding the amount due 1229.62 GBP, we act on behalf of Wallis Autogyros in order to collect the outstanding account value of your debt.

We would like to remind you that the amount above was due for payment on 25.03.16 but as no payment has been received, your invoice is now considered as overdue. Please find a printable version of your invoice at the following link:
    [url]http://www.littlebigdev.net/index.php?vuh=mekbbc29ij2-7&ig
    • Colxfile
    • By Colxfile 4th Apr 16, 1:13 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Colxfile
    • 4th Apr 16, 1:13 PM
    • 4th Apr 16, 1:13 PM
    Another one here. Received at 10.18 this morning:
    Dear <My Name>,

Regarding the amount due 1979.85 GBP, we act on behalf of Cheetah Marine LLP in order to collect the outstanding account value of your debt.

We would like to remind you that the amount above was due for payment on 28.03.16 but as no payment has been received, your invoice is now considered as overdue. Please find a printable version of your invoice at the following link:
    http://www.littlebigdev.net/index.php?poxo=<REDACTED>

<My Name>
    <My old address from 2 years ago>

In order to avoid further costs, please forward the payment to us and transfer the amount due not later than 10.04.16

Yours sincerely,
    <Person's Name>
    No previous dealings with this business, and any such would be a touch eccentric on my part: the business named in the email sells power-boats, but I live a long way from the seaside!
    "Peter Pan is 2. Shirley Bassey is 3. Dr Ian Paisley is 4. King Lear is 5. Why?"

"...also known as taking in the Spanish Cub Scout leader. (Cryptic) (5)"

Thanks to MSE, I've seen Citizen Kane, 2001: A Space Odyssey and Serenity for FREE!
    • vkharch
    • By vkharch 4th Apr 16, 1:59 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    vkharch
    • 4th Apr 16, 1:59 PM
    • 4th Apr 16, 1:59 PM
    Thanks for the responses, that put my mind at ease. Just reported this to http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report_fraud
    • tamsle
    • By tamsle 4th Apr 16, 2:39 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 483 Thanks
    tamsle
    • 4th Apr 16, 2:39 PM
    scam
    • 4th Apr 16, 2:39 PM
    I've also had one of these emails today, saying I owe nearly £2k to a company that appears to sell military equipment(!). They've quoted my old (parents') address that I haven't lived at for 10 years.

It definitely appears to be a scam, nothing about the email is legitimate and the sender's email is linked to a charity in Scotland, not a debt collecting company.

I will also report the email.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 4th Apr 16, 3:30 PM
    • 18,437 Posts
    • 14,150 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 4th Apr 16, 3:30 PM
    • 4th Apr 16, 3:30 PM
    You can all waste your time reporting spam/phishing emails if you want but it's a lot easier to just delete them and get on with life. And certainly not worth reporting on here - I'd be doing it for hours every day if I did.
    • tamsle
    • By tamsle 4th Apr 16, 3:34 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 483 Thanks
    tamsle
    • 4th Apr 16, 3:34 PM
    • 4th Apr 16, 3:34 PM
    I usually do delete them, as a business owner I receive them regularly each week, but when they hate using my personal details I feel it's worth reporting.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 4th Apr 16, 4:05 PM
    • 9,612 Posts
    • 3,930 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 4th Apr 16, 4:05 PM
    • 4th Apr 16, 4:05 PM
    I usually do delete them, as a business owner I receive them regularly each week, but when they hate using my personal details I feel it's worth reporting.
    Originally posted by tamsle

They are using mine as well as yours .
    • GordonHorwich
    • By GordonHorwich 4th Apr 16, 5:29 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GordonHorwich
    • 4th Apr 16, 5:29 PM
    • 4th Apr 16, 5:29 PM
    I have had to deal with over a 100 emails because my domain name is one of those that has been used. Some of these are abusive. I am amazed that people still don't understand to just delete these - they have been around for some time. Maybe there has been an upsurge or some data has been stolen.
    A couple have phoned me and one wondered if the data could have been stolen from discogs.com as he thinks he bought a record from me via discogs. The data also seems to be fairly old - people have moved and a number of non-deliveries or forwards.
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 4th Apr 16, 5:52 PM
    • 67,660 Posts
    • 124,659 Thanks
    torbrex
    I got one today.
    Strange how they have my full home address including postcode and sent it to my most private email address.
    • James C75
    • By James C75 4th Apr 16, 8:20 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    James C75
    Scam
    Just received this email including my home address, relieved to see all the posts of a similar nature.

Dear James Clark,

Regarding the amount due 387.18 GBP, we act on behalf of Vulcan Tanks Ltd in order to collect the outstanding account value of your debt.

We would like to remind you that the amount above was due for payment on 26.03.16 but as no payment has been received, your invoice is now considered as overdue. Please find a printable version of your invoice at the following link ..................

James Clark
    (Home address was typed here)

In order to avoid further costs, please forward the payment to us and transfer the amount due not later than 14.04.16

Kindest regards,
    Bradley Warner
    End

Total scam, I've never heard of this company, none of the searchable information checks out. beware folks.
    • hutchipoos
    • By hutchipoos 4th Apr 16, 8:31 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    hutchipoos
    I've received one too, purporting to be from a Scottish charity, demanding payment for an invoice from a defence contractor, using my recent old address. I was a bit concerned there was some sort of keystroke logger virus on my computer but looking at this thread, it looks like it's probably a data breach from a company where we are all customers,
    • SomeOne
    • By SomeOne 4th Apr 16, 9:46 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    SomeOne
    I recieved one of these too, a different company but exact same wording and my address.

I'm wondering if this is from a previous ebay breach as the email address it was sent to was used for my ebay account - I don't have any proof of this.
    ---------
    SomeOne
    • inflationbuster
    • By inflationbuster 4th Apr 16, 10:43 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    inflationbuster
    I also got one i just googled "we act on behalf of " and found your post.

Scary how they have my correct name, address & email.
    • johnpflyrc
    • By johnpflyrc 4th Apr 16, 11:51 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    johnpflyrc
    I got one today.
    Strange how they have my full home address including postcode and sent it to my most private email address.
    Originally posted by torbrex
    I got a very similar one today too. It was sent to an email address I ONLY use on ebay. I can only assume my personal details were "acquired" via somebody I have bought from on ebay.

Anyway, the email is now deleted, I only googled the text out of curiosity to see if anybody else reckoned their details had come from ebay...
    • EPlant2003
    • By EPlant2003 5th Apr 16, 12:50 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    EPlant2003
    I received this similar email yesterday:

Dear (gave my full name)

Regarding the amount due 1206.90 GBP, we act on behalf of British Filters Ltd in order to collect the outstanding account value of your debt.

We would like to remind you that the amount above was due for payment on 25.03.16 but as no payment has been received, your invoice is now considered as overdue. Please find a printable version of your invoice at the following link:

Had to remove link as it would not let me post to the forum but it was a w w w website followed by littlebigdev then dot net

(My full name & address)

In order to avoid further costs, please forward the payment to us and transfer the amount due not later than 12.04.16

Yours sincerely,
    Sean Sanders
    • gollum007
    • By gollum007 5th Apr 16, 10:00 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    gollum007
    The data they have has come from eBay-
    I made a very distinctive typo (Surname ended up being repeated twice, one stuck on the end of my first name) which this shows.

-Gollum
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 5th Apr 16, 10:08 AM
    • 67,660 Posts
    • 124,659 Thanks
    torbrex
    I did a check on 2 of the company names that were on the mail sent to me and one of them had a scam warning posted on the front pages of their website.

I would encourage everyone NOT to click on the link in the email.
    • hooverman007
    • By hooverman007 5th Apr 16, 2:34 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hooverman007
    Scum
    Hi

also got one this morning......

Dear (Just my name, no Mr)

Regarding the amount due 435.80 GBP, we act on behalf of Smit International (Scotland) Ltd in order to collect the outstanding account value of your debt.

We would like to remind you that the amount above was due for payment on 31.03.16 but as no payment has been received, your invoice is now considered as overdue. Please find a printable version of your invoice at the following link:
    ringwoodgrantwriters.com/index.php?????????

(My Full Address)

In order to avoid further costs, please forward the payment to us and transfer the amount due not later than 14.04.16

Kind regards,
    Phillip Martinez

Firstly, the named company seems to be a Marine Salvage company. I back traced the ip address of the sender located inside the email details. It originated in Italy. 'ringwoodgrantwriters.com' does exhist and is a non profit fund raising company based in California. The web address they want you to go to opens up a box containing a named zip file to download. Obviously stay away from this as I went there safely.
    The email address of the sender is 'pmartinez@chect.org.uk'. The @chect.org.uk belongs to a Childhood Eye Cancer Trust in London.

The thing that annoyed me most was that they had my address. Sold on be someone. Wish I could find out who.

The sooner these scumbags tracked down and dealt with the better.

Always be suspicious and u will be ok
    • SomeOne
    • By SomeOne 5th Apr 16, 2:42 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    SomeOne
    The sender's email address you've quoted most likely would not have been involved, posting it publicly here exposes them to more spam.

Hi

also got one this morning......

Dear (Just my name, no Mr)

Regarding the amount due 435.80 GBP, we act on behalf of Smit International (Scotland) Ltd in order to collect the outstanding account value of your debt.

We would like to remind you that the amount above was due for payment on 31.03.16 but as no payment has been received, your invoice is now considered as overdue. Please find a printable version of your invoice at the following link:
    ringwoodgrantwriters.com/index.php?????????

(My Full Address)

Kind regards,
    Phillip Martinez

Firstly, the named company seems to be a Marine Salvage company. I back traced the ip address of the sender located inside the email details. It originated in Italy. 'ringwoodgrantwriters.com' does exhist and is a non profit fund raising company based in California. The web address they want you to go to opens up a box containing a named zip file to download. Obviously stay away from this as I went there safely.
    The email address of the sender is [Removed] belongs to a Childhood Eye Cancer Trust in London.

The thing that annoyed me most was that they had my address. Sold on be someone. Wish I could find out who.

The sooner these scumbags tracked down and dealt with the better.

Always be suspicious and u will be ok
    Originally posted by hooverman007
    ---------
    SomeOne
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

226Posts Today

1,553Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin