MSE News: First Direct tops our banking poll again as Barclays limps into last place

Our biannual poll reveals the banks flying high for customer service and those falling behind...
Read the full story:
'First Direct tops our banking poll again as Barclays limps into last place'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,330 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I thought that HSBC were a bit rubbish and dumped them. I can see I'm not the only one who thinks that.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Given the harassment FD and their HSBC parent are inflicting on loyal customers, vis-à-vis the random and pointless certified document absurdity, I find this amazing.
  • Pleasing to see TSB doing well. It's a great little bank IMO and has some good incentives. It will be good for them to get away from Lloyds IT system though as they do appear the poor relation. The android app is not as featured as Lloyds/Halifax nor do they have the slick iPad app used by those two either. I have been quite impressed with TSB though.
  • Ginger Bob I would suspect it is because the poll was about your current bank so people who had applied and had the certification docs would not normally answer a poll about existing service.

The only good point on barclaysvis that most complaints I've made have led to monetary compensation. They need to switch back to UK call centres.

John
  • Dan83
    Dan83 Posts: 672 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Every time I've rang tesco I've had a good experience, complete opposite with HSBC, I dread ringing them.

Only ever delt with Barclays in branch, they never have more then 1 person on the counter even when there is a big que.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    john1002 wrote: »

The only good point on barclays is that most complaints I've made have led to monetary compensation. They need to switch back to UK call centres.

John

Don't care where Barclays callcentres are - in over 40 years of excellent service I have never had cause to call one.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • After switching to FD in the last month I don't understand the high rating - long queues on phone lines, calling the number instructed on paper/online and then being told I called the wrong team, late/no response to online questions via internet banking and an online banking platform that seems out of date and does not to as much as Lloyds.

When I have spoken to FD staff, after delays, they were very helpful and my opinion may change after I have been using them for longer. However, at this point I would rank Lloyds, Tesco and Nationwide way above them - both online and on the phone.
  • After switching to FD in the last month I don't understand the high rating - long queues on phone lines, calling the number instructed on paper/online and then being told I called the wrong team, late/no response to online questions via internet banking and an online banking platform that seems out of date and does not to as much as Lloyds.

When I have spoken to FD staff, after delays, they were very helpful and my opinion may change after I have been using them for longer. However, at this point I would rank Lloyds, Tesco and Nationwide way above them - both online and on the phone.

You are not alone thinking like this. I've always rated them but when I sold the bank to my partner they simply reverted back to their previous building society Nationwide! Really couldn't get on with their online/mobile banking!
  • It must be nearly 2 months since I first applied to HSBC, they are an absolute joke! The only person who's been helpful is the person dealing with my complaint but from the telephone customer services to in branch, they are awful to say the least. Sad really that they've much opening a simple thing like a current account so tedious.]
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    After switching to FD in the last month I don't understand the high rating - long queues on phone lines, calling the number instructed on paper/online and then being told I called the wrong team, late/no response to online questions via internet banking and an online banking platform that seems out of date and does not to as much as Lloyds.

Must be a very subjective thing, I've only once had to wait for the phone to be answered by FD and although I have been told that I need to speak to another team, that was due to me calling at 9pm, when the other team only worked until 8pm, there was still only one phone number though.

This was far better than when I tried to resolve something with Natwest around 10 years ago and someone on the phone shoulted at me as they only took internal calls and wouldn't help a customer!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure