Debate House Prices

Since the Forum relaunch, in order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: UK house prices rise to record high, says Halifax

House prices rose to a record high of £205,000 on average in October, according to the Halifax House Price Index...
Read the full story:

UK house prices rise to record high, says Halifax

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,921
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Or 3.9% according to Nationwide....
    I think....
  • caronoel
    caronoel Posts: 908
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    But my friends on Housepricecrash, and their paramilitary wing in Moneyweek, have all told me that house prices would have crashed by now.

;)
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,785
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    caronoel wrote: »
    But my friends on Housepricecrash, and their paramilitary wing in Moneyweek, have all told me that house prices would have crashed by now.

;)
    No that's at Xmas, 50% off!
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • caronoel
    caronoel Posts: 908
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    No that's at Xmas, 50% off!

Well, we all know what brit1234 is hoping for in his Christmas stocking

51EB0RJBQNL._SY300_.jpg

Ho Ho Ho
  • chucknorris
    Forumite
    caronoel wrote: »
    Well, we all know what brit1234 is hoping for in his Christmas stocking

51EB0RJBQNL._SY300_.jpg

Ho Ho Ho

All he wants for Xmas is YOU(r house).
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    £205,240 on average?

That would imply you have a lot of houses for ~£100k to balance out the houses in Oxford, London, Brighton, etc; where are they? Do you need a 4x4 to reach them?
  • chucknorris
    Forumite
    Pincher wrote: »
    £205,240 on average?

That would imply you have a lot of houses for ~£100k to balance out the houses in Oxford, London, Brighton, etc; where are they? Do you need a 4x4 to reach them?

No just a 2x4 (piece of wood to fight off muggers)
  • Conrad
    Conrad Posts: 33,137
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    They will double before we get the next down turn.
    Load of doom mongers posting on The Telegraph this morning claiming a global crash is imminent. This was in response to Ambrose-Pritchards article claiming the money supply has rapidly expanded and he see's no signs of a crash.
  • Graham_Devon
    Graham_Devon Posts: 58,560
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Glorious, simply glorious.

I just hope the cost of gas triples, food quadruples and petrol doubles. I think I may be asking too much if I hope for my council tax bill to double too. Oh, and it would be quite nice if a bog standard car came in at an average price of 40k.

Here's hoping for the good times to roll, anyway.
  • chucknorris
    Forumite
    Glorious, simply glorious.

I just hope the cost of gas triples, food quadruples and petrol doubles. I think I may be asking too much if I hope for my council tax bill to double too. Oh, and it would be quite nice if a bog standard car came in at an average price of 40k.

Here's hoping for the good times to roll, anyway.

Sounds like you bought shares in British Gas, Greggs and Esso, was it for the dividend income, a punt on the share price or a bit of both?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure