Grab a discount by abandoning your basket?

Former_MSE_Anthony
Former_MSE_Anthony Posts: 21 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Best Buy Bear
edited 14 July 2015 at 3:39PM in Shop but don't drop
Have you ever been offered a big discount from a shop, supermarket or service company simply because you didn't complete your order, or you haven't used them in a while?

We want to compile which firms do this (and what type of discounts are on offer), so people can tactically shop.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
Grab the latest MSE Deals

Comments

• jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've abandoned many baskets before, too many to count across many sites and have never been offered a discount. I have successfully managed to create my own picks on what is then advertised at me on every other web page though, just to reign it in to me that I cannot afford the things I want.
  • skyla
    skyla Posts: 23 Forumite
    Emma Bridgewater usually gives free postage after a day or two
  • cte1111
    cte1111 Posts: 7,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've been offered a discount by W H Smith and also regularly by Stitch Craft Create (formerly RU Craft). In both of these cases, you need to have an online account set up, log in, add some items to your basket then abandon it.

WHSmith only seem to do it once in a while, but worth a try. I think they sent me a discount for 5% off.

Stitch Craft Create always seem to send a 10% discount code.
  • dw1
    dw1 Posts: 37 Forumite
    I bought a Hello Fresh box about a month ago. Last week they offered me £15 off a box - which I didn't take - this week they offered one half price. That's despite me getting £25 off the first one...

Graze also used to give a half price box every couple of months even though I always cancelled straight after. I had 5 or 6 half price before they got wise to it.
  • I've abandoned baskets recently at Debenhams and Warehouse and never been offered a discount, I just get an email saying 'you've left something behind!' :)
  • kaya1991
    kaya1991 Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 20 July 2015 at 6:02PM
    Urban Outfitters often sends an email after a couple of days for free delivery or a discount - usually 15-20% :)
  • ceh209
    ceh209 Posts: 876 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 July 2015 at 6:05PM
    We've been looking at a cruise with Princess Cruises the past few days, went through all the stages to find out exact price, entered our details and everything, then left it.

Today OH got an email with £150 off :D
    Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard
  • I recently abandoned an order at happykombucha.co.uk and received an email the next day with a 5% discount code. I still didn't order, but I plan to 'abandon' another order soon, so I can order with the 5% off ;)
  • loony767
    loony767 Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I got a £10 discount from Flaviar (whisky gin etc) for a bottle of whisky. You have to become a member via facebook etc. webite is flaviar(dot)com.

It took about a month to arrive though so not great if in a hurry
  • I got free delivery worth £45 from Furniture Village after leaving a 2 seater sofa in the basket
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure