Should I pay my mate for looking at my knee?

This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I was telling a group of friends that I hurt my knee whilst lunging for a drop shot in a recent game of badminton, when one of them, who's a physio, told me to come into his practice the following week to get it sorted out. A week after going in I received an invoice from him for the full rate he charges. I'd thought it would be free or at least a reduced price - should I pay him?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply

Comments

• iclayt
    iclayt Posts: 454
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes. That's the fee he charges for his professional service. You missed the chance to bring up mates rates when you took him up on his offer.
  • j.e.j.
    j.e.j. Posts: 9,672
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    You can't exactly not pay him if he's treated you!
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You did have the chance to say something to start with like

'mates rates then?' or Cant afford you mate'

Just curiosity but did he do your knee any good lol.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Tell him you thought he was NHS and as he didn't say anything to the contrary you aren't paying.
  • telsco
    telsco Posts: 116
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Tell his wife you saw him with a prostitute the same time and day he looked at your knee.

Sometimes you've got to go to extremes to be a money saver. :rotfl:
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you say him in work time and in a work place (eg office or surgery) I can understand why he'd bill you and assume you will just pay as a normal private patient.

If you are more shocked that you've been charged, pay up and then speak to him- make it clear that he wasn't clear enough when he asked you to visit him, if anything it could prevent other mates ending up with the same unexpected invoice.

If it's a cash flow issue, tell your mate you'll pay but need time to save up as you'd not expected such a large bill. If he then realises his not being clear enough (he may view you as a person who spends within their means and maybe then will join the dots and could offer you a discount.)

Maybe a case of once bitten twice shy; be prepared for this to be the way things work.

If you wanted to really rub it in you could ask him if he has a friend who could help you out with further treatment but at a concessionary fee because you can't afford to go back to see him.
  • Ferris
    Ferris Posts: 471 Forumite
    Surely before attending a clinic you would have to sign something to agree to be treated and to agree to pay?
  • brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    This is precisely why I am wary of treating friends. I pay for the surgery, materials and staff at work. If I were to treat a friend for free it would end up costing not only my time but also I would be paying for the costs.

When I have used friends for particular jobs I have made sure I ask them to bill me the full public amount. I use their services because I trust they will do an excellent job but appreciate they have a living to earn and it is an insidious form of blackmail to expect freebies from people who have a living to earn.

It is very different from asking a friend to give you a hand moving etc because you can reciprocate likewise.
  • pennypinchUK
    pennypinchUK Posts: 383 Forumite
    Yes, you pay him. Always keep friendship and business separate.
  • tain
    tain Posts: 711
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I'd be saying something about them offering treatment to anyone without being upfront about the fees. No organisation should be doing that - they might as well ask for a signed blank check when you arrive.

The fact that he's also a mate makes it even more underhand.

Only a fool would treat a mate without being entirely upfront about the costs long beforehand for this exact reason.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure