Facebook Selling - guide discussion

MSE_Jenny
MSE_Jenny Posts: 1,312
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
MSE Staff
articlealert2_banner.gif

Hi all,

We've written a new Facebook Selling guide and would love your feedback.

How did you find the info? Was it useful? Do you have any other tips you'd add?

Thanks for your help!

MSE Jenny

Comments

• FairTrial
    FairTrial Posts: 14 Forumite
    The Metropolitan Police recommend escrow services provided by FCA authorised firms as a useful method to pay and be paid for these type of transactions.

Escrow is the only method where both a buyer and a seller can be fully 100% protected simultaneously in a transaction.

With escrow services now provided in the UK by FCA authorised firms from 57 pence per party per transaction, selling on Facebook with payment via escrow is compelling.

The buyer is guaranteed through escrow to receive the goods promised, or their money back.
    The seller is guaranteed to be paid 100%.
  • FairTrial
    Post 2/2

Quote from the article: 'If someone has your bank account details, it increases the risk of fraud against you.'

This is actually an old chestnut, and not particularly true. Sorry to disagree.
    A fraudster can do very little, if nothing at all, with your bank account number and sortcode.
    The old Jeremy Clarkson bank story occurred many years ago, and before the introduction of the Payment Services Regulations 2009 which improved banking in the UK for consumers.

A fraudster can perform a lot of mischief with your debit card number and security details.

Do not confuse the two.
    Whilst it is correct procedure not to divulge your bank account number and sortcode willy-nilly, it is not particularly dangerous if these leak.
    On the other hand, guard your debit card details very carefully, as these are a payment instruction instrument.
  • jeffuk
    jeffuk Posts: 602
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    "The Metropolitan Police recommend escrow services"
    Do you have a link to this information?
  • FairTrial
    jeffuk wrote: »
    "The Metropolitan Police recommend escrow services"
    Do you have a link to this information?

content.met.police.uk/Article/Safe-buying-advice/1400010734360/1400010734360
  • tommy2k8
    tommy2k8 Posts: 96 Forumite
    I want to sell lots of stuff on Facebook - I live in Kent, what do I search for? - my postcode doesn't yield any results!
  • There is an exception that I know of to the grown up clothes not selling well on Facebay / Facebook groups and that's very grown up, i.e. plus size clothes.

There are some local groups in this niche, but there are also national ones, where you would take payment via Paypal (including postage) and post the items to the buyer. Some caution needs to be exercised, but I have generally had good results.

One such group (with over 22,000 membership) where I have sold a few items is Bigger Bargains Ladies plus size 16+ (You'll have to search on that as I'm not able to post a link.)

Again, once you've joined one, similar groups will be listed in the sidebar but searches for plus size or curvy will probably find a few more.
  • Brooker_Dave
    Brooker_Dave Posts: 5,196 Forumite
    FairTrial wrote: »
    The Metropolitan Police recommend escrow services provided by FCA authorised firms as a useful method to pay and be paid for these type of transactions.

Bank transfer is free, near instant and safe, pretend escrow services are the weapon of choice for scammers, I can't see any reason why the police would be recommending escrow??
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
  • FairTrial
    Bank transfer is free, near instant and safe, pretend escrow services are the weapon of choice for scammers, I can't see any reason why the police would be recommending escrow??

Sorry Brooker Dave,
    You have to be kidding ?!?

Bank transfer, when dealing with someone you do not know, is as bad as a Western Union transfer.
    You are consigning your payment to an unknown party, and if (as is unfortunately common nowadays) that party is dishonest then you have lost your money, with no recourse - it is gone.

Payment by bank transfer is extremely DANGEROUS.

You are correct that there are quite a few fake escrow services out there masquerading as genuine services.
    But then there are many fake bank services masquerading as HSBC, Barclays, etc. using phishing techniques. We still use banks, because they are essential and safe.
    Likewise, escrow is a superb and essential safety mechanism - you need to ensure you are using a genuine escrow service and not a scam lookalike, but this is easy using the FCA online register.
  • jeffuk
    jeffuk Posts: 602
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    tommy2k8 wrote: »
    I want to sell lots of stuff on Facebook - I live in Kent, what do I search for? - my postcode doesn't yield any results!

In the Facebook search bar enter your Town name and "Buy Sell", this should yield results, check for the Page/Group that has decent membership.
    Hope this helps.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 71,979
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador

It's probably the same police that constantly post scam warnings on the local sites about all sorts of dodgy goings on, all of which were outed as fake in Snopes years back.

I reply to each and every one of them with the Snopes citation and still they post. They don't even change the content of the emails to make sense, so only a month ago we had the one with the 'purses' being stolen from the front seat of the car in a car park when someone knocks on your window and asks if the $10 bill by the back of your car is yours.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure