Should I report a family member illegally claiming benefits?

Former_MSE_Nick
Former_MSE_Nick Posts: 463 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I found out that my uncle is claiming benefits he's not entitled to. He used to qualify, but the rules changed and he's still receiving payments despite no longer being eligible. Should I report him?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply

Comments

• scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    If you do make sure you tell him it was you, don't be a coward and do it anonymously.

Maybe if you dig deep enough you could find other family members you could report to the government.
  • jaylee3
    jaylee3 Posts: 2,127 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    MSE_Nick wrote: »
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I found out that my uncle is claiming benefits he's not entitled to. He used to qualify, but the rules changed and he's still receiving payments despite no longer being eligible. Should I report him?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply

What 'rules changed' that made him no longer entitled, but still be paid?

I am struggling to make sense of it, as I can see how someone may have exaggerated their illness or disability to obtain benefits, but I don't see how 'the rules changing' would mean someone is not entitled but still gets benefit.

As for grassing someone up; it doesn't sit well with me. I don't like the idea of people fleecing benefits, but at the same time, I think reporting people seems nasty, conniving, and sneaky.

Unless someone was fleecing 1000s a month extra in some elaborate con, I would be reluctant to grass them up.
    (•_•)
    )o o)╯
    /___\
  • Homeownertobe
    Homeownertobe Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    Yes. Thieves are thieves.
  • double_mummy
    double_mummy Posts: 3,989 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    talk to them along the lines of you did remember to call XXX and tell them about XXX

if its tax credits start it off with 'i was on the phone to tax credits for 17 and a half days to get through how long did it take you?'
    The only people I have to answer to are my beautiful babies aged 8 and 5
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,690 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 3 June 2015 at 1:15AM
    Every time I see a relative of mine, she tells me about her neighbour who is claiming benefits as a single parent but her boyfriend is living with her. She moans about it and get very vocal and angry about it.
    Why don't you report her, I ask her every time.
    Because I don't feel right about it she says.
    So it goes on in every town, there must be lots of people in my relatives and the ops position, multiply that up and that's a lot of money we are all sitting back and not doing anything about.
    So if you don't report it, then who will?
    If you think its OK for your taxes to go towards benefits for people who claim them unfairly, then you don't need to do anything further.
  • charliewocka
    charliewocka Posts: 413 Forumite
    I reported my cousin and her partner and have no regrets. Admittedly I was no loner close to them but when I'm slogging away paying my tax and they are blatantly cheating a system that was designed to provide assistance to those who needed it I have no issues. I didn't do it anonymously, provided all my contact details on the online form to report benefit fraud.

They investigated her but they quickly made a story up, he moved out temporarily and they still do it to this day. I refuse to have contact with them as I disagree with it (plus other family issues!)
  • joannie
    joannie Posts: 45 Forumite
    Yes, you should report him. It is public money and we all pay taxes to fund it.
  • cr1mson
    cr1mson Posts: 886 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Is it likey to be delibrate or forgetfulness?

Delibrate - yes report.

Forgetfulness - remind
  • Domayne
    Domayne Posts: 623 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Depends on how close you are and if you have loyalty to your family or to society/the law.
    Personally I know a few benefit cheats in my family but o wouldn't dream of reporting them because they are more important to ME than the law.
    Saved so far - £28,890.97
    ~Selfish is the name that the jealous give to the free~
    Save 12k in 2019 #18 £5,489.43/12000
  • enjoyyourshoes
    enjoyyourshoes Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    yes.............................
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories