PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Should I ask my flatmate to subsidise more of the rent?

I'm looking for a new flat with a friend of mine, but he earns quite a lot more than I do so he has a greater budget. We've found somewhere we both like, but even if he takes the bigger room and pays a bit more I still can't really afford it. Should I ask him to subsidise a larger share of the rent? I'd feel bad asking but he really likes the place and we do want to live together.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    At the end of the day it's a roof over your head. I will never get the keeping up with the jones to have a big place just to show off. When I was a student I found the cheapest place possible as it's just somewhere to sleep and the rest of the money can be better used elsewhere. I did the same when buying a house as its a roof over our head, somewhere to call home.

It takes long enough to earn money, why waste it?
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    MSE_Nick wrote: »

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email
    In what way is this a tip.......?
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    If the flatmate "really likes the place" then be honest with him/her and say that you cannot afford it. If they then offer to subsidise the rent, that's their choice.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Bossypants
    Bossypants Posts: 1,273 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    At the end of the day it's a roof over your head. I will never get the keeping up with the jones to have a big place just to show off. When I was a student I found the cheapest place possible as it's just somewhere to sleep and the rest of the money can be better used elsewhere. I did the same when buying a house as its a roof over our head, somewhere to call home.

It takes long enough to earn money, why waste it?

That depends on your personality type. If you're a homebody and/or an introvert who needs their personal space, it can absolutely be worth spending a little bit more to get something that feels comfortable. That doesn't necessarily mean the biggest place, or even the nicest, but the key is to figure out the things that really make a home for you and pay for them, not other nice features you don't really need.

In terms of the OP's question, I'd approach this directly with your prospective flatmate. Tell him, without fluffing about, that you want to live with him and you like the flat, but it's just more than you are able to spend right now. That leaves the ball in his court to choose whether he wants to subsidise you, find another flat, or find another flatmate.
  • Mickygg
    Mickygg Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Well my tip would be work out the budget you can afford and then look. You shouldn't have gone to see it if you couldn't afford it.
    Just because someone earns more they shouldn't have to pay a higher rent.
  • Rambosmum
    Rambosmum Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I agree with tigsteroone. You can't afford it. Tell your mate that and see what he says. Before you next go looking at a place ensure you both know the lower earners budget.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,935 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    There are apps designed to ascertain a fair rental split, based on how individual sharers value different factors in the allocated rooms.

My son recommends:

http://www.spliddit.org/apps/rent

I'm sure there are others.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    No, you shouldn't ask and I'm shocked (well not that shocked since this is a hypothetical MSE scenario) you would expect your friend to pay more rent than you. Where would it end? Would your friend be expected to put more towards the utilities? Would you be the flamate that never buys toilet roll and eats other people's food?

I've had one way relationships with friends before, just take take take, and so I moved on, without those friendships. If I had £1 for every time I heard,"but you've got a good job." Well I do but because I set my ambitions higher than hoping to be a WAG.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    No, you shouldn't ask and I'm shocked (well not that shocked since this is a hypothetical MSE scenario) you would expect your friend to pay more rent than you. Where would it end? Would your friend be expected to put more towards the utilities? Would you be the flamate that never buys toilet roll and eats other people's food?

I've had one way relationships with friends before, just take take take, and so I moved on, without those friendships. If I had £1 for every time I heard,"but you've got a good job." Well I do but because I set my ambitions higher than hoping to be a WAG.

If I particularly wanted to live with someone and also wanted something they couldn't afford I'd pay more. It really depends on the people involved and their priorities! In this case, both people should discuss their budgets and needs/wants before viewing - what someone is prepared/able to pay will change depending on the property, location vs travel to work costs is the one that jumps to mind but I'm sure there are more!
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Telling your friend that you can't afford to live somewhere and then allowing them to decide whether or not they want to subsidise you is different to asking and expecting your friend to pay more just because the earn more money than you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure