Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Helen Saxon
    • By MSE Helen Saxon 7th Apr 15, 9:23 AM
    • 73Posts
    • 39Thanks
    MSE Helen Saxon
    Top Cash ISAs 2015/16
    • 7th Apr 15, 9:23 AM
    Top Cash ISAs 2015/16 7th Apr 15 at 9:23 AM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks,
Page 1
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 7th Apr 15, 9:31 AM
    • 1,887 Posts
    • 1,795 Thanks
    Alter ego
    • 7th Apr 15, 9:31 AM
    • 7th Apr 15, 9:31 AM
    I'm carrying on with my Coventry loyalty ISA 2.5%. I doubt anything to beat it for instant access will come along for a few years yet.
    I know about interest paying current accounts, got them as well.
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • waqasahmed
    • By waqasahmed 7th Apr 15, 9:50 AM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    waqasahmed
    • 7th Apr 15, 9:50 AM
    • 7th Apr 15, 9:50 AM
    All seem a bit rubbish tbh

The best rate (2.25%) is the equivalent of 2.81% AER pre-tax from a 20p tax payer, AND you're locked in for four years!

The Virgin one is effectively 2.93% AER pre tax

This being said, the fixed rate ones are "OK" if you're a 40p tax payer ie: the equivalent of getting 3.75% pre tax OR for Virgin 3.91% pre tax
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 7th Apr 15, 11:09 AM
    • 2,233 Posts
    • 2,298 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 7th Apr 15, 11:09 AM
    • 7th Apr 15, 11:09 AM
    I don't want the hassle of opening one of the interest-bearing current accounts and having to transfer money in an out every month, so I'm looking for just a 1-year cash ISA at the best rate. Is Virgin the best choice for basic rate tax payers at 1.65%?
    • alkip
    • By alkip 7th Apr 15, 11:51 AM
    • 165 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    alkip
    • 7th Apr 15, 11:51 AM
    • 7th Apr 15, 11:51 AM
    I'm in exactly the same position as you LadyDee and simply wish to transfer existing ISA monies in to a new, better paying provider account. There is Aldermore which pays 1.65 but I shall follow your thread and see if anyone comes up with any better suggestions.
    Last edited by alkip; 07-04-2015 at 11:54 AM.
    CPRE
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 7th Apr 15, 12:14 PM
    • 11,537 Posts
    • 9,762 Thanks
    jimjames
    • 7th Apr 15, 12:14 PM
    • 7th Apr 15, 12:14 PM
    I'm in exactly the same position as you LadyDee and simply wish to transfer existing ISA monies in to a new, better paying provider account. There is Aldermore which pays 1.65 but I shall follow your thread and see if anyone comes up with any better suggestions.
    Originally posted by alkip
    For the sake of a few minutes to set it up I'd personally use current accounts to get 5/4/3% but if that's too much effort then you're probably stuck with what's already mentioned.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • waqasahmed
    • By waqasahmed 7th Apr 15, 5:23 PM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    waqasahmed
    • 7th Apr 15, 5:23 PM
    • 7th Apr 15, 5:23 PM
    For the sake of a few minutes to set it up I'd personally use current accounts to get 5/4/3% but if that's too much effort then you're probably stuck with what's already mentioned.
    Originally posted by jimjames
    This pretty much. This being said, Ill probably get an easy access ISA just in case as it were!!!

Though Im personally waiting for Nationwide to come out with a really good instant access saver to then pull from the market in like...2 weeks (which they've done for the past two years)
    • redglass
    • By redglass 30th May 15, 10:50 AM
    • 771 Posts
    • 8,839 Thanks
    redglass
    • 30th May 15, 10:50 AM
    • 30th May 15, 10:50 AM
    I'm currently in the process of leaving Nationwide. The branch staff do their best but they are a long way from here, since Nationwide closed our local branch and I live in a rural area. The website and the call centre have been endless trouble and at one point told me the account didn't exist, causing much anxiety for which Nationwide have since paid me compensation. Now I'm supposedly set up with new login details and am STILL having trouble, so I reckon that's enough. Am going elsewhere as soon as I can set it up. Have a look at their online reviews - they are damning.
    'Whatever you dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin now.' Goethe

• reph4444
    • 1st Jun 15, 2:01 PM
    • 1st Jun 15, 2:01 PM
    Hope someone can help
    I currently have more than the ISA allowance of £15240 in a Tesco ISA and they have advised that they are due to reduce the interest from 1.25% to 0.75%. I've looked on the MSE website and it suggests Post Office (@1.41%) is the best option for transfer in, but when I went on the PO website it indicates that you can only transfer upto £15240. Any suggestions please?
    • badger09
    • By badger09 1st Jun 15, 3:20 PM
    • 4,644 Posts
    • 3,839 Thanks
    badger09
    Hope someone can help
    I currently have more than the ISA allowance of £15240 in a Tesco ISA and they have advised that they are due to reduce the interest from 1.25% to 0.75%. I've looked on the MSE website and it suggests Post Office (@1.41%) is the best option for transfer in, but when I went on the PO website it indicates that you can only transfer upto £15240. Any suggestions please?
    Originally posted by reph4444
    Where does it say that?

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/savings-accounts/online-isa#Overview

It actually says there is no limit to what you can transfer in (using the PO transfer process). You can however only pay in up to £15240 of new money.

Before you leap into it, please read around the forum. There are several threads about the many problems experienced with the PO ISA
    • ejv
    • By ejv 1st Jun 15, 3:27 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    ejv
    Can I transfer just my old money?
    I have a similar problem as reph4444.
    I have remitted this years whole allowance to HSBC
    I have an old fixed ISA maturing this week at Santander, which drops down to 1.25%
    Would postoffice allow transfer of just my old money?
    Regards
  • reph4444
    Thanks Badger09 - maybe I've read it wrong. When I get to the funding option it states "The maximum you can invest between a Cash ISA and a Stocks and Shares ISA this tax year is £15,240.00" which is what made me think they'd only take this amount, but doesn't like like after another reading that this is the case
    Though now you have me worried about whether transferring to PO is a good option :-( Any better ones for a transfer and easy access please?
    • badger09
    • By badger09 1st Jun 15, 4:43 PM
    • 4,644 Posts
    • 3,839 Thanks
    badger09
    I have a similar problem as reph4444.
    I have remitted this years whole allowance to HSBC
    I have an old fixed ISA maturing this week at Santander, which drops down to 1.25%
    Would postoffice allow transfer of just my old money?
    Regards
    Originally posted by ejv
    Yes, any ISA which allows transfers in will allow transfer of previous years' subscriptions.

But please see my comments re PO problems before you decide.
    • ejv
    • By ejv 1st Jun 15, 4:53 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    ejv
    Thanks badger.
    Could you post the link,please(regarding problems with PO)
    • badger09
    • By badger09 1st Jun 15, 5:02 PM
    • 4,644 Posts
    • 3,839 Thanks
    badger09
    Thanks Badger09 - maybe I've read it wrong. When I get to the funding option it states "The maximum you can invest between a Cash ISA and a Stocks and Shares ISA this tax year is £15,240.00" which is what made me think they'd only take this amount, but doesn't like like after another reading that this is the case
    Though now you have me worried about whether transferring to PO is a good option :-( Any better ones for a transfer and easy access please?
    Originally posted by reph4444

This is the relevant bit

Have a look here. Don't be put off by the date, its kept up to date by Kazza242 Scroll down until you get to the part about transfers in.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=401374
  • BirdysMissus
    Hello, I have around £13,000 in a dormant ISA. I've contacted AXA Wealth to ask if my Elevate Investment can have £100 per month added to it by direct debit but they've told me the ISA I was investing in is no longer available and they've asked which I would like to now invest in, they've sent a list with thousands of options but I have NO IDEA which to choose. I would REALLY appreciate any advice please (in layman's terms). Thank you.
    • newuser78
    • By newuser78 1st Jun 15, 9:53 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    newuser78
    Perhaps a silly question but I am confused:
    Nationwide Flexclusive ISA 1.6% vs Nationwide Direct ISA 1.9%

Surely the Direct ISA is better than Flexclusive? What's so good about Flexclusive for a FlexAccount customer?

I already have Santander ISA and although its interest rate is not market leading, I am happy to leave it there (I haven't subscribed this tax year yet) and just open a new ISA account with Nationwide.

I am a FlexAccount customer.
    • Archi Bald
    • By Archi Bald 1st Jun 15, 10:29 PM
    • 9,306 Posts
    • 7,350 Thanks
    Archi Bald
    Perhaps a silly question but I am confused:
    Nationwide Flexclusive ISA 1.6% vs Nationwide Direct ISA 1.9%
    Originally posted by newuser78
    You probably mean the Nationwide Regular Saver ISA as there is no such thing as a Nationwide Direct ISA?
    http://www.nationwide.co.uk/products/isas/isas?ppc=1&cmpid=PaidSearch_114493&gclid=CKygxNfE7 8UCFYnJtAodDQkArQ

The regular savings ISA is good if you cannot deposit more than £1,270 a month before next March. Next April, the interest rate on this ISA will plummet.

The FlexClusive is better if you want to deposit a lump sum, or if you want to transfer another ISA in.
    • newuser78
    • By newuser78 2nd Jun 15, 9:14 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    newuser78
    Thanks Archi Bald - sounds like Regular Saver ISA at 1.9% is best option for me as I cannot see myself depositing more than 1,270 per month and will move to another ISA next April.
  • LTRT325
    How many ISAs in total?
    I know I can only open 2 ISAs in a tax year (I cash and 1 investment) but can I end up with loads of ISAs over a number of tax years or do I always have to move my money to keep it in just the two ISAs? I read somewhere recently that you could only own 2 and now I am confused!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,307Posts Today

9,187Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Has twitter changed the character count so reply @ addresses no longer count? It seems that way!

• RT @SkyNewsEditor: Young journos: 24 hrs left to apply for @JSchofieldTrust Mentor Scheme - team up with top broadcast journalists: https:/?

• RT @LucyGrahamxox: @MartinSLewis just got £952 back in reclaimed account charges from my bank after watching the show! Holiday paid for! #M?

• Follow Martin