Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • sparky61
    • By sparky61 15th Oct 04, 3:39 PM
    • 10,280 Posts
    • 24,800 Thanks
    sparky61
    • 15th Oct 04, 3:39 PM
    Re: Help for cloudy wine glasses!
    • 15th Oct 04, 3:39 PM
    Hi Allexie, maybe this will help.

http://www.ehow.com/how_18788_prevent-cloudy-glassware.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_13443_clean-foggy-crystal.html
    • 15th Oct 04, 3:49 PM
    • 15th Oct 04, 3:49 PM
    hot water and vinegar always brings mine up nice, just leave them to soak in it. ;D
  • mink35
    • 15th Oct 04, 7:14 PM
    • 15th Oct 04, 7:14 PM
    WHAT? A solution using vinegar? Never!! ;D ;D
    • 15th Oct 04, 11:06 PM
    • 15th Oct 04, 11:06 PM
    shocking isn't it??
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 15th Oct 04, 11:25 PM
    • 5,176 Posts
    • 34,338 Thanks
    Caterina
    • 15th Oct 04, 11:25 PM
    • 15th Oct 04, 11:25 PM
    I must be PSYCHIC!!! Otherwise, how could I KNOW that this thread would mention VINEGAR even before opening it?

;D 8) :

Caterina
    • 16th Oct 04, 12:10 AM
    • 16th Oct 04, 12:10 AM
    lol. ;D
  • mjk
    • 28th Oct 04, 1:25 PM
    • 28th Oct 04, 1:25 PM
    What proportion of vinegar to water would you use?
    • 28th Oct 04, 2:13 PM
    • 28th Oct 04, 2:13 PM
    five tablespoons vinegar to half a bowl hot water (just enough to cover them)

hth,

• mjk
    Thanks
  • stamford
    Streaked Glasses from Dishwasher
    Any tips for getting rid of the streaks ?
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 14th Feb 06, 8:01 PM
    • 23,795 Posts
    • 3,164,379 Thanks
    comping cat
    Are they streaks, or has the dishwasher damaged the glasses (etching)? If they are just 'cloudy' it might be because of hard water deposits, so make sure you are using enough rinse aid and salt and you are using enough detergent. If it is etching you cannot remove it, if its dirt/cloudy try polishing with some baking powder and water.
  • stamford
    Streaks/cloudy I try to keep it well salted and rinse aided but will try the baking powder
    • sparky61
    • By sparky61 14th Feb 06, 8:40 PM
    • 10,280 Posts
    • 24,800 Thanks
    sparky61
    Soaking streaky glasswear in a solution of soda crystals/liquid and hot water usually works for me.
    • larmy16
    • By larmy16 14th Feb 06, 9:05 PM
    • 4,217 Posts
    • 8,039 Thanks
    larmy16
    I have found it is when the salt is getting low that my glasses go cloudy - cheap machine so no warning light. So I use the salt, vinegar in the rinse compartment and the 3 in 1 tablets (bought when on special) and that combo seems to work well.
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• jennron
    how do i remove residue from wine glasses
    on having a clean out i checked my glass cuipboard and noticed a lot of glasses discoloured with a residue iv tried fairy liquid and glass cleaner but not worked any hits ?? or should i just throw away??
    much thanks
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 3rd Feb 07, 11:08 AM
    • 16,978 Posts
    • 132,559 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    on having a clean out i checked my glass cuipboard and noticed a lot of glasses discoloured with a residue iv tried fairy liquid and glass cleaner but not worked any hits ?? or should i just throw away??
    much thanks
    by jennron
    On Old Style, that's worse than blasphemy

Have they been in the dishwasher? If so, it may be a residue from the cleaning products used. This is especailly true if they're lead crystal.

Alternatively, is it a greasy residue? Try wiping with a damp cloth and vinegar.

HTH, Penny. x
    Life is too short to clean behind the fridge
  • jennron
    On Old Style, that's worse than blasphemy

Have they been in the dishwasher? If so, it may be a residue from the cleaning products used. This is especailly true if they're lead crystal.

Alternatively, is it a greasy residue? Try wiping with a damp cloth and vinegar.

HTH, Penny. x
    by Penelope Penguin
    Thanks but as they have been in dishwasher they are cheap glasses , iv tried handwashing and scrubbing nothings worked as yet .
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 3rd Feb 07, 1:30 PM
    • 9,237 Posts
    • 14,003 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    I have a clear pyrex bowl that has gone like that. Sort of cloudy at the base. It's definitely not food desposits or anything burnt on.

I have totally failed to get it back to its original condition, but it still works so what the heck. I know it's a bit different with glasses as they are more "seen", but perhaps you could use them for the kids' juice or something (if you have any that is).
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• lizzyb1812
    You might find that this is not a residue but damage from your dishwasher. Some dishwashers wash with quite high temperatures and a fierce water action - over time this scours more delicate finishes. I know it is recommended that silver/gold decorated china is not put in a dishwasher as it removes the metal finish, so I imagine that over time glass would be affected too. Same thing for a pyrex bowl - think how many thousands of times metal implements have scraped over the bottom over the years.

lizzyb
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~ Vivian Greene
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,591Posts Today

8,337Users online

Martin's Twitter