MSE News: Prescription and dental charges to rise in April

Options
NHS prescription and dental charges will increase in England from 1 April, the Department of Health has today announced...
Read the full story:

'Prescription and dental charges to rise in April

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    What gauls me is that only those living in England pay the charges whilst Scotland, Wales and NI get free prescriptions.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • clauski
    clauski Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What gauls me is that only those living in England pay the charges whilst Scotland, Wales and NI get free prescriptions.

Totally agree. Why should English residents have to fund a greater share of the NHS than others? And the fact 90% of prescriptions are already supposedly free does nothing but rub in the fact that the ones I pay for aren't!
    2022 Wins! : £22 Tesco voucher
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Whatever happened to "free at the point of use"?
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why is a rise in prescription fee rise considered as news anyway? Has it ever not occurred since 1979?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ectophile wrote: »
    Whatever happened to "free at the point of use"?
    The country are not prepared to accept the level of taxation or the cuts in other services to achieve this ideal.

It was realised within 5 years of the NHS beginning that 'free at the point of use' was unsustainable
  • jennie65
    jennie65 Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well if all UK countries were made to pay then maybe the English could pay slightly less. My son put off going to get his infected toe seen to because he never had enough money to pay the prescription charge. I ended up paying it even though I have a prepayment certificate to cover mine. Over £8 is a lot of money to some people so he was trying to make do without going.
    We none of us go the the dentist as that's way out of our budgets. And no in case your wondering - we don't drink or smoke either.
    Bankrupt 15/04/09 Discharged 28/10/09

Debts £000:j
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,388 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    jennie65 wrote: »
    Well if all UK countries were made to pay then maybe the English could pay slightly less.

I'm afraid it doesn't work like that. The other countries get a sum of money (probably per capita) and they choose to use some of that money to fund free prescriptions, England choose to spend that money on something else.

Personally I think very few people should get free prescriptions, certainly not all pensioners. So many people get prescriptions willy nilly just because they don't have to cover the cost themselves, its such a waste.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There was a chain called Dentals Arts.
    Claims to do NHS work, but it's non-stop upselling
    to private. The NHS filling fell out after a couple of days.
    Generally incompetent anyway, so I didn't want them to touch my teeth again.

Been going to a 100% private dentist for several years. Reassuringly expensive. I shudder at what people get on NHS.
  • 22cuddles
    22cuddles Posts: 115 Forumite
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    Why is a rise in prescription fee rise considered as news anyway? Has it ever not occurred since 1979?

Yes, in the last General Election year there was no change from the previous until the following April.
  • Abbafan1972
    Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,892 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's expensive yes, but at least you get something to show for it at the end.

The dentist:- £18.50 charge for the dentist looking in your mouth and saying "that's fine we'll see in you in 6 months".
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £43,915.98
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure