MSE News: 'Just got my Amazon Prime £79 back': Find out if you can do the same

Former_MSE_Helen
Former_MSE_Helen Posts: 2,382 Forumite
edited 16 November 2015 at 5:14PM in Shop but don't drop
MoneySavingExpert has been inundated with success stories from shoppers who've got a refund for unwanted Amazon Prime...
Read the full story:

'Just got my Amazon Prime £79 back': Find out if you can do the same

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• mrpunk50
    mrpunk50 Posts: 35
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    "Many claim they didn't realise they had to opt out of the year-long membership"? Surely it is glaringly obvious that a free trial will usually turn into a paid subscription if you don't cancel it.

"some say they accidentally clicked the sometimes prominently placed trial button"
    ? Then, presumably, their fingers slipped again and they accidentally agreed to the page of terms and conditions.

Apparently being a money saving expert now consists of agreeing to buy a service without bothering to work out what you're signing up for, then retrospectively acting like you're entitled to a refund.
  • blaggers and chancers is the polite way of puting it, more honest would be st***d id**ts.
    Before christmas 2014/15 I used a 30 day try out over christmas. It was abundantly clear what the score was. I opted to continue. Part of prime is collect from a local corner shop that opens late.
  • Cimscate
    Cimscate Posts: 145
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    mrpunk50 wrote: »
    "Many claim they didn't realise they had to opt out of the year-long membership"? Surely it is glaringly obvious that a free trial will usually turn into a paid subscription if you don't cancel it.

"some say they accidentally clicked the sometimes prominently placed trial button"
    ? Then, presumably, their fingers slipped again and they accidentally agreed to the page of terms and conditions.

Apparently being a money saving expert now consists of agreeing to buy a service without bothering to work out what you're signing up for, then retrospectively acting like you're entitled to a refund.

Couldn't have put it better myself, it's quite clear this is a 1 month free trial. I am sick of people not reading things properly and then screaming they were cheated and getting money back.
  • Just contacted Amazon after reading about the fees for Amazon Prime. After a little wrangling with them they have agreed to refund me my full £275 I have paid them since 2009 for a service I never asked for and had no idea I was being charged to use. Ker-Ching!!!!!
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,754
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just contacted Amazon after reading about the fees for Amazon Prime. After a little wrangling with them they have agreed to refund me my full £275 I have paid them since 2009 for a service I never asked for and had no idea I was being charged to use. Ker-Ching!!!!!

Do you never check bank / credit card statements? How is it possible to go six years without noticing £49 or £79 coming out your account!
  • lonestarfan
    lonestarfan Posts: 1,232
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 13 March 2015 at 1:29PM
    blaggers and chancers is the polite way of puting it, more honest would be st***d id**ts.
    Before christmas 2014/15 I used a 30 day try out over christmas. It was abundantly clear what the score was. I opted to continue. Part of prime is collect from a local corner shop that opens late.

I did the same and it was very helpful for the Christmas shopping and I did diarise it to cancel it and did that on time. I've done a Which Mag and Love film free offers too and am aware to make sure you cancel in time. I'm not a fan of this type of thing as it means effort to keep to the deadlines but as I say I have the occasional free offer.
    However I've been caught out today.
    I ordered from Amazon on 21 Feb and it offered me free Prime again so I accepted it as I believed that must be offered to me again because I'd had a gap of 2 months and also because my credit card details had changed. However today I see I've been charged. So I got onto them straight away today and they've refunded it and were very courteous about it as was I.
    I used Live Chat function and it was brilliant so I hope my story helps others as this was not me being naieve, a blagger or a chancer but was a genuine belief they'd offered it me again. Fortunately I took screen shots as I do with all my transactions.
  • I got ill just after taking up the 'free offer' and missed the deadline to cancel. Thought I was going to have to bear the cost until I saw the post about claiming the money back. Was ill again so decided to cancel the membership in any case and did that online. At the end of the process I got a thank you note that also said that as I hadn't used Prime my money was going to be refunded. Will have to wait for my card statement to see if it shows up there. Thank you MSE
  • **crimscate** Well put, a pity I can't buy you a drink
  • JustOnce
    JustOnce Posts: 187 Forumite
    Cimscate wrote: »
    Couldn't have put it better myself, it's quite clear this is a 1 month free trial. I am sick of people not reading things properly and then screaming they were cheated and getting money back.

Why are you sick? Is this money coming from you personally, or are you just overly concerned with other people?

Either way, how strange.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure