Call centre workers: spill the beans

Former_MSE_Joanne
Former_MSE_Joanne Posts: 113 Forumite
edited 21 October 2014 at 4:54PM in Praise, vent & warnings
We want to tap past and present call centre operatives' collective knowledge and get some inside info: when's the best time to call to avoid an interminably long wait? How much authority do you have to give customers a better price? Is it really quicker to accept the callback option than hold?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Where I used to work the best time to call is as soon as the lines open or just before we close. We have to finish your call once we pick it up no matter how long.

Also there is some degree of authority to give customers a better price, but this could be a different department so depends on how much.

Where i worked there was no callback option but if a call dropped while the customer was talking to me I would call back straight away.....
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    MSE_Joanne wrote: »
    We want to tap past and present call centre operatives' collective knowledge and get some inside info: when's the best time to call to avoid an interminably long wait? How much authority do you have to give customers a better price? Is it really quicker to accept the callback option than hold?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

It be particularly interested in the best and worst times to call ebay.
    Though when I do get through they are very helpful.
  • I used to work for TSB Trustcard - the credit card company - in their call centre for many years.
    What many people didn't know - they didn't have time to read all the info sent to them, was that they were open 24 hrs - between 3-6am it was dead.
    Before 9am a few rang - once 9am hit, all hell let loose.
    Lunch times 12-2pm longest times in waiting

One thing I would like to say here - which infuriated me about TSB was that when they knew they'd run charging tapes twice in error and people had been charged twice for something - they wouldn't correct it! They waited for people to call in to query it and then they would refund them for the duplicate charge, those that didn't check their statements or query it were left to pay twice. A nice earner for the corrupt TSB. This was over a very long period that I worked for them and was still going on when I left over 18 years ago.

Never trust any bank - always check your accounts online or the paper statements - they do make errors.
  • dealer_wins
    dealer_wins Posts: 7,334 Forumite
    I used to work for TSB Trustcard - the credit card company - in their call centre for many years.
    What many people didn't know - they didn't have time to read all the info sent to them, was that they were open 24 hrs - between 3-6am it was dead.
    Before 9am a few rang - once 9am hit, all hell let loose.
    Lunch times 12-2pm longest times in waiting

One thing I would like to say here - which infuriated me about TSB was that when they knew they'd run charging tapes twice in error and people had been charged twice for something - they wouldn't correct it! They waited for people to call in to query it and then they would refund them for the duplicate charge, those that didn't check their statements or query it were left to pay twice. A nice earner for the corrupt TSB. This was over a very long period that I worked for them and was still going on when I left over 18 years ago.

Never trust any bank - always check your accounts online or the paper statements - they do make errors.

TSB Trustcard, I had one of those 30 years ago when I started work for TSB bank in 1987!!
  • Podge52
    Podge52 Posts: 1,913 Forumite
    I work in a call center for a car parking company. we handle calls from the car park equipment as well as customer service calls.

The best time to ring with a query or complaint is the middle of the day when we receive fewer equipment calls.

We don't have authority to grant refunds and such but we will take details and pass these on to the relevant person. Calls from the equipment we do have discretion to amend charges.

If anybody wants to know more Please feel free to ask.
  • Having worked in a contact centre, the golden rule is always to never have a go at the person answerign your call, 99.9% of the time, any error is nothing to do with them so shouting at them will get you NOWHERE. You catch mroe flies with honey than vinegar
  • Podge52
    Podge52 Posts: 1,913 Forumite
    As a call handler you have to have a thick skin, certainly in the area of work I am in. The thing is not to take it personally.
  • i worked for a power company only 3 years ago
    i was in prepayment debt dept where people would get into debt due to price increases and meter man couldnt get in to property to put increases onto meter etc
    trick to have some debt up to 10% written off was to complain, ask to talk to manager and they can take up to 30% off. keywords ombudsman and regulator would sometimes trigger 50% off and sometimes 100%
  • I work in a bank call centre, I would urge people to call the bank's international number which is always a local number rather than the costly 08 numbers. Works just the same. I find the best time to call us is prob in the evening, def not lunchtimes.
  • SUZYBLU wrote: »
    I work in a bank call centre, I would urge people to call the bank's international number which is always a local number rather than the costly 08 numbers. Works just the same. I find the best time to call us is prob in the evening, def not lunchtimes.

Think they're cottoning on to this one a bit as I notice that many places have stopped giving out an international number and/or have replaced it by a higher-tariff one. I tried ringing one a while back and it could somehow tell i wasn't overseas and told me to ring the other number!

SayNoTo0870 sometimes has useful alternatives
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport