Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Insurance & Life Assurance > Car Insurance: Do I Have To Declare All My Points (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Car Insurance: Do I Have To Declare All My Points
Closed Thread
Views: 24,295
# 1
DogSlobba
Old 01-10-2007, 9:57 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Question Car Insurance: Do I Have To Declare All My Points

I got 3 points in Nov 2003 (zapped by a mobile camera).

Then 3 points in 2005 (same road, same camera!)

Someone told me today that points only last three years, and they aren't automatically removed, you have to ask for them to be removed. I've been googling this, and the sources say the points are valid for three years, but you must keep them on your license for 4 years.

So, should I declare the 3 points from 2003 because they are on my license, or not declare them because they are no longer valid?
# 2
DaisyFlower
Old 01-10-2007, 10:00 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Some insurance companies ask if you have had any in 3 years, some say 5 years - if it doesnt indicate the period I would declare them.
# 3
gazza975526570
Old 01-10-2007, 10:01 PM

A lot of companies ask for details of convictions within the last 5 years - irrespective of what is currently listed on your license.
# 4
gazza975526570
Old 01-10-2007, 10:02 PM

A lot of companies ask for details of convictions within the last 5 years - irrespective of what is currently listed on your license.

ps. slow down on that road where that camera
# 5
vikingaero
Old 01-10-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza975526570 View Post

ps. slow down on that road where that camera
Some Insurers are even more vague and simply ask for details of any convictions, points and penalties without any timeframe. That is open ended enough to need you to declare everything since you started driving.
# 6
SusanCarter
Old 02-10-2007, 1:04 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If in doubt declare them. Otherwise if you need to make a claim, they may say your insurance is invalid if they find out about undeclared points.
# 7
raskazz
Old 02-10-2007, 2:19 PM

Under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 you are required to disclose all convictions for which a fine was imposed for five years after the conviction, regardless of whether the points have been removed from your license for totting-up purposes.

So you must disclose them both.
# 8
Hey Dude
Old 05-10-2007, 6:54 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanCarter View Post
If in doubt declare them. Otherwise if you need to make a claim, they may say your insurance is invalid if they find out about undeclared points.
Doubtful.

Most would sort the claim and recalculate what your premium should have been at the start if they knew about the offence and then ask you to stump up the difference.

Dude
# 9
raskazz
Old 05-10-2007, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Dude View Post
Doubtful.

Most would sort the claim and recalculate what your premium should have been at the start if they knew about the offence and then ask you to stump up the difference.

Dude
Most will re-write the cover and charge the difference where possible. Problem arises when the policy you are placed on has tight underwriting criteria and would not have accepted the risk had they known about the conviction. Not a sensible gamble to take.
# 10
guppy
Old 05-10-2007, 8:30 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Dude View Post
Doubtful.

Maybe, but they would do this for their own reasons only. You'd be relying on their good will. You have a duty to disclose all relevant information when you take out insurance. If its a big claim, they are more likely to try and wriggle out of paying.

However a 2002 court case (see link below) indicates that it is unlawful for insurers to rely on endorsements relating to spent convictions in order to disadvantage a driver. If firms insist on asking questions about spent convictions, then they must effectively ignore the answers they receive.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.u...onvictions.htm
# 11
rejory
Old 20-10-2007, 12:54 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Exclamation Car Insurance non-declared points on licence.

I had been getting my car insurance updated automatically by direct debit and had not updated my fixed penalty points with my insurers.
When I attemted to make them aware they said I then owed them 987 pounds backdated for the last three years plus next year's premium of 755 pounds (up from 260).
I said of course I was unable to pay this and wish to cancel my insurance. They said I would still owe the 987 pounds.
I spoke to a manager who said he would see what he could do and would call me back. Of course he hasn't and I'm now wondering what course of action I can take?
# 12
Hey Dude
Old 20-10-2007, 1:27 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejory View Post
I had been getting my car insurance updated automatically by direct debit and had not updated my fixed penalty points with my insurers.
When I attemted to make them aware they said I then owed them 987 pounds backdated for the last three years plus next year's premium of 755 pounds (up from 260).
I said of course I was unable to pay this and wish to cancel my insurance. They said I would still owe the 987 pounds.
I spoke to a manager who said he would see what he could do and would call me back. Of course he hasn't and I'm now wondering what course of action I can take?
Were the points also from 3 years ago?

Dude
# 13
rejory
Old 21-10-2007, 3:56 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Unfortunately yes!
2004 and 2005.
# 14
huski
Old 28-02-2011, 9:53 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Send a message via AIM to huski

Let me refresh this topic as I find it very useful . I wanted to ask, when do I have to declare the points earned for speeding? Let's say that I took insurance in September 2010, in December 2010 I earned 3 points for speeding. In February 2011, I had wee scrape with other driver's car suffering some small damage (mainly paintwork, maybe tiny tiny dent). Am I running a risk of my policy being invalidated because of the 3 points that I earned few months ago? I was sincerely convinced that I'm only obliged to disclose all the points/convictions if I want to renew the policy.
Regards
Huski
# 15
gregd
Old 28-02-2011, 9:59 PM
MoneySaving Convert

From my experience you need to disclose at renewal only but it depends what it says in policy under general conditions.
# 16
huski
Old 28-02-2011, 10:02 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Again, thanks for your helpful answer I'm thinking the same, just got a little bit hyper after reading dozens of threads on policies being void due to some minor omissions and inconsistencies.
Regards
Huski
# 17
pompeyfaith
Old 28-02-2011, 10:03 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

even if it was 5 years both these would be out of date as the last was 2005.

I would send the licence in and have them removed as they no longer count
# 18
pompeyfaith
Old 28-02-2011, 10:06 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 you are required to disclose all convictions for which a fine was imposed for five years after the conviction, regardless of whether the points have been removed from your license for totting-up purposes.

So you must disclose them both.
WHY 5 years after 2005 is 2010 ?
# 19
lisyloo
Old 28-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
WHY 5 years after 2005 is 2010 ?
That's what I first thought.
But it was posted in 2007 and someone has resurrected an old thread (perhaps after doing a search), so the advice was correct at the time.
# 20
huski
Old 28-02-2011, 10:17 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisyloo View Post
someone has resurrected an old thread (perhaps after doing a search)
It was me There is more up date id:41608688 Sorry for making the mess.
Regards
Huski
Closed Thread